Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
ZOMG Silver's a knitting freak! Updated: 4-22-07 Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:33 pm
So today I got my very first set of knitting needles and some yarn. So as my beginer project I started making a garter stitch dish towel. So I get into a groove and knitting away having a blast, I look down to admire my work and I go "Wtf? Where did that hole come from?!". I have a feeling I may have done a yarn over without realizing it. I was just wanting to show what I have so far and see if the other knitters here can tell me what I did to make the "Mystery Hole" located on the right side in the patch of dark green. xd Anyway here is the picture. [X]

I have to say that for my first go at knitting I'm really proud of my little half a dish towel. rofl

UPDATE:
Finished dish towel fresh off the needles! xd I'm so proud on my "newbie" knitting project. xd Pic 1 Pic 2 Please pardon the bad lighting in my apartment. xd

UPDATE 2: (copy paste from last post)
Rather than make a whole other topic I'll just add it here. Second project off the needles! (being modled by my daughter's lovely Disney Princess ride/push toy. xd ) [X] [X] Yet another dish rag. xd This time it was done in stockinette (sp?) instead of garter. I'm pretty happy with this one too. Best part, no mystery holes or extra stitches (go me!). xd

I have a request for a simple pattern. I have some really pretty (and super soft) yarn, seen here along with the rest of my current knitting supplies.... and for fun my daiper bag knitting supply bag. xd The super soft stuff is in front of the on needles project (now a finished dish rag). Hubby and I have a weekend marriage seminar we're going to at the end of april and I'd like to have a pretty wrap/shaw/scarf-thingy to wear for the "date night". We live is Texas so it's fairly hot (we're in upper 80's lately). I'd like to do something fairly open weave if possiable. Any Ideas?

UPDATE 3: Sooooo I grabbed my "giant needles of doom" (US size 19 or 15mm) and just went on my happy way with 60 cast on stitches and worked stockinette until I (quite literally) ran out of yarn. after binding off and weaving in about 3 inches of yarn, I had only 4 inches of letfover yarn. sweatdrop Cutting it a tiny bit close. But here is a picture of the little shoulder shrug (flat on the floor). I'll model and have my hubby take pictures this evening. 3nodding I'm so proud of it too! Oh to keep the corners together I used a small (maybe 3 inch) strip of ribbon and made a bow. whee Hey look it's me modeling the shoulder wrap! Front (it's a bit darker than I'd have liked) Back/Side. 3nodding

UPDATE 4: Well I finished yet another knitty project. Someone help! I can't stop myself! rofl Anyway here is ummm Mousey the overstuffed red mouse toy. xd Enjoy the oh so furry pictures [X] [X] last one is a little washed out by the flash but it shows the size of the mouse next to a quarter. 3nodding

UPDATE 5: So to escape the house for a while today I went yarn shopping. :3 The furry yarn I made my shoulder shrug with was on sale $1 a skein. Couldn't resist and bought 8 skeins. sweatdrop Also bought two skeins of Bernat brand baby coordinates in soft blue for this pattern for a frind of mine who will pop out a baby at any time xd
Picture time! Most of current stash (not pictured most of a skein of red fun fur, and a ball of red white and blue kitchen cotton) Close up of the magenta-ish fuzzy yarn to be used for a shoulder shrug for a friend's birthday present. Close up of baby blanket in the works along with large skeins of yarn. xd I'm Addicted! Someone Help!

UPDATE 6: *copy paste*
Bernat Baby yarn is a b***h to untangle. stressed I had 113 of my 126 stitches on the needles, somewhere picked up an extra stitch, which threw the YO pattern around the edge off. gonk Long story short blanket was unraveled and yarn was rolled into a ball that tangled up, had hubby help untangle, thought it was good second ball tangled up, stayed up till 1:30 latnight untangling it, gave up and went to bed, finished untangling this morning. Now the yarn is wrapped around a basket handle waiting for me to make it back into a blanket. stressed Sooo frustrating. Before unravling to whole thing I tried to unravel stitch by stitch for the two rows I needed to redo. ended up dropping two stitches and getting an unrepairable ladder (not with my patience lastnight anyway). >_< It was quite annoying.

On the bright side starting over gave me a chance to fix the look of the starting corner. 3nodding And I won't be able to see Leanna and Kyle and the baby for a few weeks, plenty of time to get it done, seeing I got to where I was yesterday in three days. biggrin I'll keep you all posted on progress and stitch count. xd

it's now 10:43 pm and I have reached my goal for the day. I have 63 of 126 stitches on the needles. That puts my at the 1/4 mark. My goal tomorrow is to reach the halfway point of 126 stitches so I can begin the decrease rows saturday. My goal is to be finished sunday evening, to do that I'll have to make my goal of 1/2 way tomorrow and 3/4 on saturday. I'll post tomorrow evening (before I go to bed) and let everyone know where I'm at. smile Wish me luck!

UPDATE 7: Blanket has been finished! I'm not sure if I like how the ending conrer came out, but the tail yarn has been weaved in and trimmed. No going back at this point. Overall I am very happy with the end product. 3nodding

Pictures! Blanket by itself. Blanket with VeggieTales dvd for size comparison.

UPDATE 8: Well with the blanket finished I got itchy to do another project. So I started on a scarf for my friend Azmiam(her SN on gaia). I had to unravel it several times, fist was because I made it to wide to get any decent length with the yarn I had. Then it was unravled about six more times from accidental yarn overs that were driving me nuts. Finally got it going and finished it about an hour later. So here is the picture of the lovely scarf. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:58 pm
you probably dropped a stitch. that looks like the typical "oh crap mystery hole" all my beginners have- from dropping a stitch. thats the best i can say with out being able to look at it really close up.  

Fionamule

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:56 pm
Silver Sunrise
So today I got my very first set of knitting needles and some yarn. So as my beginer project I started making a garter stitch dish towel. So I get into a groove and knitting away having a blast, I look down to admire my work and I go "Wtf? Where did that hole come from?!". I have a feeling I may have done a yarn over without realizing it. I was just wanting to show what I have so far and see if the other knitters here can tell me what I did to make the "Mystery Hole" located on the right side in the patch of dark green. xd Anyway here is the picture. [X]

I have to say that for my first go at knitting I'm really proud of my little half a dish towel. rofl

Looks like an accidental yarn over to me. Or if you thought you dropped a stitch (but didn't) and picked up an extra. Could be a dropped stitch, but those you can usually unravel to the bottom. ALL beginner projects have that mystery hole. It's like a law somewhere. Feel good in knowing you haven't broken any laws. *grin*  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:58 pm
Yup, either you dropped a stitch (though I don't see any 'ladders' Then again sometimes when you drop a stitch you can end up stitching over the ladder in the next few rows and you end up with a hole) or you did a yarn over. That's probably more likely.

Either way you can fix it by doing a duplicate stitch over the hole with the same yarn and a darning needle.  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:51 am
Pepper Azul, I dropped a stitch on my first attempt at this dish towel, it unraveled to the bottom so I started over. xd Right not my left index finger is all "Wtf? Quit stabing me with that needle!" xd

Catcheen, LOL good to know I didn't break any knitting laws. xd Somewhere in my knitting I added three extra stitches. xd now I'm back to my original number of stitches. I can imagine this will be one odd looking dish towel with a yarn over hole and three k2tog (on different rows). xd Oh well It's only a dish towel. xd

YourAzureGoddess, I'm not to worried about fixing it at this point. I think next time I will make it a few stitches smaller, like 30 instead of 46. Either way this is fun, just have to convince my left index finger that knitting is fun (and stress relieving). xd  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:06 pm
Quote:
Somewhere in my knitting I added three extra stitches.

Oh yeah, that's so typical. I remember when I first started, I kept thinking I was dropping stitches, so I'd end up picking up the piece of yarn that hangs between stitches on the needles.  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:15 pm
Congrats!

My very first knitting project... I did a scarf on circular needles. Needless to say, I had to start that thing over 3 times. The first time, I dropped a stitch and could figure out how to "pick it back up". So I had a huge ladder and it ran down to the bottom of my knitting and disappeared. Frogged. crying

Then I twisted it and had a nice moebius scarf... for a cat. Yeah. Frogged that too. xd

Finally got it on the 3rd try, but even now... I look at my scarf and one end of the scarf is done in a completely different tension than the other end. Regardless, I still love my first project and wear it in the winter. 3nodding

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:52 am
DecemberFlower

Oh yeah, that's so typical. I remember when I first started, I kept thinking I was dropping stitches, so I'd end up picking up the piece of yarn that hangs between stitches on the needles.

That's probably where two of my three extras came from. xd I know one came for a yarn over. 3nodding I'll just use my not-such-a-mystery-hole to hang the rag up when I'm done. xd

Peppermint Elf
Congrats!

My very first knitting project... I did a scarf on circular needles. Needless to say, I had to start that thing over 3 times. The first time, I dropped a stitch and could figure out how to "pick it back up". So I had a huge ladder and it ran down to the bottom of my knitting and disappeared. Frogged. crying

Then I twisted it and had a nice moebius scarf... for a cat. Yeah. Frogged that too. xd

Finally got it on the 3rd try, but even now... I look at my scarf and one end of the scarf is done in a completely different tension than the other end. Regardless, I still love my first project and wear it in the winter. 3nodding
Hey as long as you can look at it and and be happy with it right? My first project is going to be used for cleaning dishes. xd

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Rather than make a whole other topic I'll just add it here. Second project off the needles! (being modled by my daughter's lovely Disney Princess ride/push toy. xd ) [X] [X] Yet another dish rag. xd This time it was done in stockinette (sp?) instead of garter. I'm pretty happy with this one too. Best part, no mystery holes or extra stitches (go me!). xd

I have a request for a simple pattern. I have some really pretty (and super soft) yarn, seen here along with the rest of my current knitting supplies.... and for fun my daiper bag knitting supply bag. xd The super soft stuff is in front of the on needles project (now a finished dish rag). Hubby and I have a weekend marriage seminar we're going to at the end of april and I'd like to have a pretty wrap/shaw/scarf-thingy to wear for the "date night". We live is Texas so it's fairly hot (we're in upper 80's lately). I'd like to do something fairly open weave if possiable. Any Ideas?  

Silver Sunrise

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:51 am
I'm going to run out of yarn the way I'm going. xd

Just finished a lovely (super soft and comfy) shoulder shrug. (picture found in first post) heart Must find somewhere that sells Lion Brand romance yarn, I want to make this pretty stole. heart it looks so soft. *just realized romance yarn is mohair and makes her itch almost as bad as wool* What would be a good substitute yarn?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:57 am
Welcome to the wacky, crazy life addiction of knitters! Congrats on finishing your first projects so quickly!! My first project was a scarf that took me a month to finish. I was a slow knitter! xD

I love your little shrug thing, the yarn is pretty and it will look so nice on a warm spring night.  

faeriebell

Eloquent Conversationalist

15,975 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:10 am
faeriebell
Welcome to the wacky, crazy life addiction of knitters! Congrats on finishing your first projects so quickly!! My first project was a scarf that took me a month to finish. I was a slow knitter! xD

I love your little shrug thing, the yarn is pretty and it will look so nice on a warm spring night.

Thank you faeriebell! When I get into doing a new craft, I tend to pick them up quickly. 'Sides my Gran said "knitting is mindnumbingly easy. You get to where you don't even have to think to knit..... Sorta like breathing, you do it without thinking." So I thought, Hey why not, if it's that easy I can do it! xd

The shrug was made for a date night (at the end of april) for a marriage seminar hubby and I are going to. I thought it was going to take a while to finish..... see what I get for thinking? rofl  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:10 pm
The stole is cute! It'll be adorable on your weekend retreat.  

Silver Mist

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:35 am
Silver Mist
The stole is cute! It'll be adorable on your weekend retreat.
Thank you. It's just the right length for me to. Most of my nice outfits right now consist of tank tops and skirts, and my shoulders get very cold in tanks. 3nodding I'm very happy with it. Now I'm making little fun fur mice toys for my daughter. She got ahold of some fun fur and was all squealy and happy with the fuzzy string. I can't wait to see her with the mouse toy. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:07 pm
If you're hooked on knitting, I've got 3 archives of patterns for you:

LionBrand Pattern Finder (some free, some not)
Knitty.com
DIYNetwork knitting patterns

DIYNetwork has a knitted lace sampler shrug if you need a second one. wink  

AriRashkae

kamiyra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:19 pm
Catcheen
Looks like an accidental yarn over to me. Or if you thought you dropped a stitch (but didn't) and picked up an extra. Could be a dropped stitch, but those you can usually unravel to the bottom. ALL beginner projects have that mystery hole. It's like a law somewhere. Feel good in knowing you haven't broken any laws. *grin*

I broke the law? eek Somehow I managed to avoid any of those. sweatdrop It took me, like, four attempts (meaning periods of a week or so before I packed it away again) to figure out how to knit from online tutorials, but once I got it, I had no problems - maybe because I already crocheted like mad for years, so I was more used to keeping track of the yarn and what was and wasn't the right place for my hook to be going? neutral Purling is what gave me issues, till I ran into someone who could show me how it works and it clicked in my brain. To this day, it's gauging that does me in. gonk Especially when I'm like "oh crap, I need the size between this pair and that pair, cuz one's too big and one's too small. crying "

There's a few free patterns on www.knitpicks.com, including a loverly legwarmer pattern I want to knit up for my sis (who was whining that she couldn't wear the skirt she just shortened and be-laced because she didn't have any), and also a slew of cheap, super-nice yarns. I may just adapt the cable armwarmer pattern from lionbrand to make her legwarmers, though, cuz they're super cute, I think.

I could swear that I had more pattern sources, but I can't think of where. neutral Check your local library?  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff