Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
This cracks me up...but also makes me twitch. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

America is slowly losing its abilty to be grammatical...
  Yes.
  Not really...
  Whatever...
View Results

Captain Purpleheart

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:05 am
Okay, so I was walking ot a friend's house, and I walked by this truck. The back of the truck had an advertisment on the back. This is what it said:

"Is your house...

To hot? To cold? To dry? To damp?

Or just plain uncomfortable?
We can help! (Etc, etc.)"

Shouldn't it be Too...?

Yeah...It was kind of funny because usually those things have correct grammar. But it's really annoying!  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:37 am
In light of such a horrible truth, at least we can take comfort that in the future, it will be people like that who shall become our peons.  

Shade Skypage

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:39 am
Shinta Hitokiri
In light of such a horrible truth, at least we can take comfort that in the future, it will be people like that who shall become our peons.

If only that were true... *Points to President Curious George*  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:43 am
abarrach
Shinta Hitokiri

There are exceptions, I'll admit, but hey, we all know Bill Gates is going to eventually try to control the whole bloody world anyways.  

Shade Skypage

CristoVII

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:15 pm
Really? I thought it was Walmart that would try to do that.

Let's just hope they were running out of money and hired a kid to make an ad for them.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:18 pm
See, I like it when companies make errors like that. It makes my selection that much easier when it comes to finding a company to do some work. How good can the service be if they can't even bother to spellcheck their advertisements? Clearly, they do not take pride in their work and are perfectly happy to do a half-assed job. Is that really who I want to do repairs on my home?  

Kukushka

The_0ther_Account

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:29 pm
You are right, it should be too. I wish people would pay more attention to what they are writing, especially on things that are seen a lot in public.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:08 pm
:Shakes head: So disappointing.  

darkrose_eve

1,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Amaya84

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:47 pm
Amazing that people who run companies these days are so clearly
a) not involved in their companies
or
b) that uneducated

Like someone said earlier, makes my decision of hiring easier.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:53 am
Well, that company just lost my business. If they can't spell properly, they probably can't do anything else properly either.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Kukushka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:11 am
raineoftears

This is the part that really gets to me. You should take pride in your work. How much pride can you take it in if you don't even bother to take the time to double check it?

raineoftears
or
b) that uneducated

This is a bit of a social thing. There's an emphasis now on being self-employed and starting your own business. The last decade has seen a whole range of government and bank programs to help people. Gone are the days when they would have to hunt for investors and be eloquent enough to pitch their ideas in a convincing way. Now, all it takes is filling out a few papers (to get started - obviously it takes a lot more than that to actually keep the business afloat). This is like opening the flood gates on new businesses. The result is that instead of business owners being owned by the "very best" (or those with the "very best" connections), they can be owned by a more accurate cross-section of society - so both the educated and non-educated.

There's also a certain prestige in being self-employed. Society is looking at self-employment as superior to employment in a company. For this reason, a lot of kids are graduating from High School (where they may have done work placement training), learning a trade skill, and starting businesses right away without necessarily gaining the experience needed to run a business first. The result is that many lack the professionalism to really check their work. This isn't to say that in the "good ol' days" business were competent.

Merely that their investments in their businesses would have been much higher. Making a mistake like that mispelling that could cost a good deal of money wouldn't just mean "oh, I guess I have to go back to working with my old employer for a bit." Rather, it would mean the laying off of many employees and a severe drop in standard of living and position in society. So on the visible surface, at least, people checked their work more thoroughly.

And, of course, there's the simply fall of the education system. Kids today know something like half the words the same age group knew in the '50s. Kids aren't being taught grammar. Teachers are encouraged to care more about kids' self-esteems than about their actual academic success - prompting them to give undeserved grades and discouraging them from taking the time to actually help kids catch up. Telling them that they need to improve their academic performance might make them "feel bad," so we can't do that.

To hell in a handbasket...  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:08 am
lemon drop SURPRISE
Okay, so I was walking ot a friend's house, and I walked by this truck. The back of the truck had an advertisment on the back. This is what it said:

"Is your house...

To hot? To cold? To dry? To damp?

Or just plain uncomfortable?
We can help! (Etc, etc.)"

Shouldn't it be Too...?

Yeah...It was kind of funny because usually those things have correct grammar. But it's really annoying!
They won't be getting any custumers that respect Grammar. That's for sure. Or should I say. 'Fo' Sho?'  

Angelic-Sargeant

The Shoe Pile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:08 pm
It can't have been a very good company. neutral  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:10 pm
Shinta Hitokiri
abarrach
Shinta Hitokiri

There are exceptions, I'll admit, but hey, we all know Bill Gates is going to eventually try to control the whole bloody world anyways.

Yay! I want to live on Planet Microsoft.  

The Shoe Pile

merry go-round sex

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:27 pm
raineoftears
or
b) that uneducated

Like someone said earlier, makes my decision of hiring easier.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff