Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Sims 2 Guild

Back to Guilds

Great place to share/show your creations and meet other TS2 fans! 

Tags: Sims2, Simulation, Maxis, Electronic Arts, Social Bunny 

Reply Main Forum
Custom Content Sites: To Pay or Not to Pay? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tealia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:39 pm
Like many other Sims 1, and Sims 2 lovers out there.. We felt restricted by the Maxis Objects and such.

So custom contents came along!

Different gamers created their own contents for many others to use for their own games.

But then came the controversies of Pay Sites, or Sites that require Donations for certain items.

Many people thought this was annoying and a waste of money to pay for something that was simply pixels for a game, but there are some users out there who pay to gain items/clothings/etc for their game that others may not be able to gain.

The donations, of course, are not used for self gain [most of the time, who knows] for the Web masters, but to support the cost of bandwidth.

What do you think of Pay Sites? Are they good? Are they bad? And what about free sites like Modthesims2.com?

I want to hear what others have to say about free sites and pay sites.
Don't bother fighting about it.

Just talk about it. 3nodding

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:53 pm
If someone's willing to pay, then good for them, but it's not for me. I'm in the "think it's a waste of money" category, but I'm not against them. That's just not how I'd like to spend my money. The free sites are good enough for me. 3nodding  

Canadian Ballerina

Manic Algae

1,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:26 pm
While I'm for the argument that all custom content should be free, I do have a reoccuring membership to both Peggy Sims 2 and The Sims Resource. I can't help it, there exclusives are so... wow! eek  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:35 am
I feel more for free sites and less about pay sites.

Sure they have nice stuff, but still.. Pay sites annoy me. sad

Tealia

Wabbits

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:57 am
I already paid a lot to get to play the Sims 2, I'm not shelling out more money for custom items. No matter how good they look.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:01 pm
User Image

I wish Maxis would crack down on this, its illegal in many ways even written on the TOS you accept, but so far nothing has been done. Oh well. I don't pay for the site, there are tons and tons of amazing sites that are free, and sure some have a area you can donate to the site, but it dose not have a gift that is better than there other items if you donate. Take ModTheSims2.com all there stuff is free and you can donate to the site if you wish.

What bothers me the most is that there are some pay sites that have tons of glitches and just bad meshes/recolors and if you find a glitch with a item you pay for the maker will not fix it. I have heard horror stores, and its very sad.

Now in the past I admit I did pay for the Resource site for a month, cause they have thousands and thousands of items, and in the one month I payed for I got my moneys worth.

Shiver`

Frozen Sex Symbol

someboyishere2
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:21 pm
I use other sites but free ones  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:20 am
I also use free sites for download, but I guess, if somebody make a good looking (and well-made) item with hard work, etc. - he/she deserve the money for his/her work.
We could be happy that many author offer they custom content for free!
That's my opinion.  

softwarekiller

Generous Genius

5,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Wall Street 200

men getting pregnant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:40 pm
I never go to pay sites. Ones like The Well Dressed Sim offer free items, but what dissapoints me is that all of the good clothes need to be paid for.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:06 am
I've also found that some of the sites could be scams, such as when you pay they don't give you the contents.
Its sad, really.  

men getting pregnant

Simming
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:25 pm
I have never paid although I would not mind donating to Peggy Sims or the Resource, but I have yet to do that. I figure as soon as Sims 3 comes out it will be a waste of money since I will most likely move on to that and stop play the Sims 2 like I did with the Sims 1. Personally I don't mind sites that you need to donate to. Mainly ones that are trust worthy. It mostly helps them pay the bills so that they may have their site up and running.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:44 pm
I don't get the custom content that are from pay-sites.
I would like to, but it's much too complicated and I don't have a paypal account. So I only get my CC from free sites.

But seriously! Have you looked at Peggysims2 CC and Donation items?! They're amazing! I wish I could get them. u__u;;

Yumi Angel I

LadyImpish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:42 pm
If I needed to pay for content from one site...I'd simply keep looking until I found one with free stuff...so no. I wouldn't pay.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:32 pm
I hate paysites. I'm often broke, so when I see something I really like, it goes litke so:
Moi: LOVE IT! Downloading...
Paysite: Mwah-ah-ah! Five bucks!
Me: crying

The heart of reality

5,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Citizen 200

Briana-Babie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:18 pm
There are pay sites that have freebies, but the things that you have to pay for are way nicer than the freebies. its totally unfair!!  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff