How young is too young? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:07 pm
I can understand teens getting piercings. Hell, I can understand preteens getting piercings. But a TODDLER? Isn't that taking it too far?

I saw a little girl on the bus today, wearing gold hoop earrings. She couldn't have been more than three. It seems really crass to put earrings on a kid that age, and really cruel to stick pins through their ears when they're too young to be making the desicion on their own. I've seen little children get pierced, I've seen how hard they cry, and I think it's ******** wrong.

But maybe I'm just old fashioned. Do you think there should be an age limit on piercing? If so, what should it be?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:22 pm
Hm.........I think one must be able to care for said holes 'ere one may have them. If you don't know what to do about pulls, infections, etc... then you'll panic when one catches and you begin bleeding not to mention green ooze.....  

ceilisidhe

Lexiegirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:39 pm
I believe I've heard somewhere before that if you get a kid's ears pierced early enough, they can't feel it.

But you still have to clean it.

Why take up the burden of having to clean their ears too if you still have to change their diapers and clean them and everything?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:39 pm
I would say, 12 would be an accetabe age, but yeh, peircings on toddlers is cruel  

DarkPhsycotic

Haeros

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:19 pm
Well I dunno considering my mother got my ears pierced when I was a small baby. I think that a toddler's age is too young because they can't think what would be best for them. If they were preteen age, maybe ten, I think that's acceptable.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:26 pm
well i got my ears peirced when i was like 2. idk why my parents thought it would be apropriate do do that cause if i could remember i bet it hurt really bad!!! i would never get my child any type of piercing untill they were old enuogh to ask for it.  

MrsPuget

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:24 pm
I find normal ear piercings (the lower lobe) to fine at just about any age, so long as the jewelry worn is acceptable. Little ears should wear little earings.

However, other than those piercings*, I don't think any others should be added until at least age 13.

I don't have any particular reason. It just seems... instinctual, perhaps, to say it.

*I meant vanity piercings only. Obviously, piercings for religious reasons are fine.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:37 pm
Whew! You really scared me. I'm ok with ear piercings as long as they are taken care of. Bellybutton piercings and other locations - I say 16 is a good minimum.  

Umberella

Substance-E

Newbie Noob

3,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:54 pm
Veruniel
I've seen little children get pierced, I've seen how hard they cry, and I think it's ******** wrong.

Lol, ears peirced vs getting circumcised, hmmm  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:04 pm
Jon of the Dead
Veruniel
I've seen little children get pierced, I've seen how hard they cry, and I think it's ******** wrong.

Lol, ears peirced vs getting circumcised, hmmm

Circumcision is largely for religious reasons though, and in some cases, medical reasons.

While circumcision is commonly over-practiced (i.e. boys who don't need it get it), it's not for purposes of vanity as most piercings are.

Though, I say again (as I did in my post), there's no wrong in piercings for religious reasons.  

GilAskan
Crew

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:21 pm
This is just a question of what can a parent do to their child. Since society accepts the permanent mutilation of a child (circumcision) as a parent's right, i hardly see why piercings should be prohibited.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:26 pm
Damn right.
I've seen infants with pierced ears, and wondered what the hell was wrong with the person who actually did it.
Picture, if you will, a mother brings a baby into, say, Claire's, because it's free there.
"Hello, there, I'm here about the free piercing?"
"But.. you're already got a set."
"Oh, not for me, for her."
"Goo?"
And they don't tell the woman to leave. Amazing.
Futhermore, in many cultures, pierced ears are a sign of sexual... well, that they're old enough and active. Nice thing to display on a six-month old girl.

The Goth Apple

Dapper Dabbler

14,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Sugarmuffincrumblecakes

Dapper Consumer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:04 pm
Well, sometimes moms like to get their toddler pierced so that their babies don't have to "suffer" the real pain if they got older. Some moms think that.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:17 pm
I actually don't think it's wrong. If it's just on the ears that is. I mean, I had mine when I was about younger then one, and I didn't have hoops or anything they were small earings. Besides, they weren't painful from what I can remember, and seeing them happen now and stuff they seem pretty bad. So, I'm alright with not remembering it. Nothing seems to be wrong with it, you're going to feel the pain whenever you get it.

Also, the sexual sign thing. That may be in some cultures, but I don't think very many people think about that especially on a young child, it would most likely be an accessory. If some people do strongly believe in that, they shouldn't get their child's ears pierced, I guess.

Namtastic

Lunatic

ketchakik

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:17 pm
Veruniel
I can understand teens getting piercings. Hell, I can understand preteens getting piercings. But a TODDLER? Isn't that taking it too far?

I saw a little girl on the bus today, wearing gold hoop earrings. She couldn't have been more than three. It seems really crass to put earrings on a kid that age, and really cruel to stick pins through their ears when they're too young to be making the desicion on their own. I've seen little children get pierced, I've seen how hard they cry, and I think it's ******** wrong.

But maybe I'm just old fashioned. Do you think there should be an age limit on piercing? If so, what should it be?

i've seen kids as young as like 6 months getting pierced

i think.......probiablly 6-8 is the youngest i'd want to get pierced...by that age...they know it's gonna hurt and can decide for themselves somehwat  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff