Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Grapes of Wrath: Bad grammar or good book? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What did you think of "Grapes of Wrath"?
  The grammar was atrocious.
  It was a great book with lots of life lessons!
  It was a great book that depicted life in the Great Depression.
  I haven't an opinion.
View Results

Subservient Nonentity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:05 am
Well... in my English class we are reading the novel Grapes of Wrath. It is the story of a family forced to move to California during the Great Depression. The story 'captures the imagery and lifestyle' of people during that particular era. It also captures the diction of people during that particular era. The plot is nice enough... but the grammar irks me to no end.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:31 am
Maybe it does that on purpose, like "Lord of the Flies"?  

[Joan De Arc]

Subservient Nonentity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:05 pm
I must admit that I have never read Lord of the Flies, but Grapes of Wrath does intend all of the atrocious grammar. The book captures the life of the poorly educated people of the 1930's. Sadly, their grammar was captured as well.

The grammar of the book itself was fine, but the characters' grammar was awful.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:31 pm
To me, the grammar explains the way the characters live, and it also adds to the theme of the story, but this is just my humble opinion.

Basically, it shows just how uneducated they were, and it adds to their ignorance as the story goes along, and it shows how their normal lives "break down," in a sense, from the normal farm life they had.  

Patron with a Mission

ChibiStarlet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:55 am
Again, a humbe opinion, but I think that it adds something to the character. Part of developing characters is giving them different speech patterns to represent them--just like people don't all talk the same, characters shouldn't all sound the same either. I think it does a really good job of capturing those characters and the way they lived back then...and so somehow I'm able to overlook the grammar issues for the literature. =)  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:25 am
I agree with Chibi Starlet. While the grammar of the characters is atrocious, it develops WHO they are. It captures the essence of the people. So I too am able to overlook grammar issues for the literature.  

Punkghoul

merry go-round sex

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:33 pm
John Steinbeck used that same bad grammar for a lot of his books, not just the Grapes of Wrath.

Both Of Mice and Men and Tortilla Flats have pretty horrible character grammar.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:18 pm
I understand that the grammar was used so portray the ignorance of people in that family/era. I was wondering if the grammar irked anyone else. gonk  

Subservient Nonentity

FRUiTFLY

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:38 am
I had to read Angela's Ashes for English class.
Frank McCourt does not use a quotation mark once throughout the entire story.
Characters talking is one thing. But when the author can't quote something correctly, that's sad.
Having trouble reading your book?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:37 pm
Yes. Yes, I am having much trouble reading my book. I want to crack out a red pen and correct everything.

*le sigh* I suppose that ignorance can be bliss at times.

sweatdrop I hope I'm not coming off as narrow-minded. I'm sure that if someone were to speak to me with such grammar, I wouldn't mind as much, because reading grammar/diction is completely different from people speaking. Besides, this sort of grammar and diction was simply the norm back in that era.

P.S.
I'm extremely tired at the moment, so my logic might not be crystal. Try to follow my thoughts... however jumbled they may seem.  

Subservient Nonentity

Zee Zee Top

4,750 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:26 pm
I had the same problem with the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I had to read it for an English class. It was such a pain to read. I never finished it actually... Thank God we only had to do the project on eight chapters out of the book! I would have cracked before finishing it.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:41 pm
I just read a few excerpts on it. True, it's supposed to be about uneducated people so the deliberate grammar mistakes are tolerable. However, this was my reaction when I first read an excerpt on it before fully understanding what the book was about. Now that I realized what I was about to say about a fairly reasonable book, I feel like an idiot. I'm actually sure some of you will find my first misunderstanding amusing (myself included).

The Mad Side Of Me
What the hell? This passed off for a book? This won a f--king Pulitzer Prize? Let's recap.

Excerpt
The water was six inches deep in the car before the flood spread evenly over teh embankment and moved into the cotton field on the other side.

"Teh"? "Embankment"? They pronounce "eat" as "et"? People say "I knowed"? These may be uneducated people, but even the third-person, non-dialogue views are written in misspellings! Was Steinbeck drunk, or high, or something? This might be a book written in 1939, but this is really just intolerable! There was more typos in a single excerpt than I can count until I hunt them all down.

Excuse me if I happened to offend anybody.  

CristoVII

s0prano42_x3

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:46 pm
subservient_x_nonentity
Well... in my English class we are reading the novel Grapes of Wrath. It is the story of a family forced to move to California during the Great Depression. The story 'captures the imagery and lifestyle' of people during that particular era. It also captures the diction of people during that particular era. The plot is nice enough... but the grammar irks me to no end.

Well... I think if the grammar was all correct in that book, it would lose some of the effect the author wants to have on the reader.

Our school just did the play version of that book... I didn't get to go see it, though... I heard it was good. cool  
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:29 am
It wasn't until very recently that proper spelling and grammar were enforced rigorously in the publishing industry. If the bad grammar could be corrected, it might not be the same book anymore, but it would be much easier to read. The only thing I DON'T suggest is translating it into 1337 or txt-tlk. Bad idea~  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Ksenia Sergeevina

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:18 pm
I think John Steinback's dialect really added to the story, but then again he's my favorite author so I'm bias.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff