No s**t, There I Was..... Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Imzy
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:38 pm
Got any good 'No s**t, there I was' stories? Yours or just ones you've heard... please, pull up a log beside the campfire, have a swig of mead, and tell your tale!  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:26 pm
Ok, so before I get to the story, I have to give a bit of background. I live in Riverwatch, a soon-to-be-defunct contact group right on the border of Calontir, Northshield, and the Midrealm. Literally, right on the border. So naturally, we get exposed to a lot of culture from all three Kingdoms. There is a Midlands bard named Curian Cantwr who is particularly popular amongst our little group. His songs are always really fun and amusing. One in particular, called "No One Writes Songs for Von Andernach" is a song we all enjoy trying to sing purely for the challenge of it--several of the verses are quite large mouthfuls to spit out without tripping over the words, even though none of us had met the gentle (Dietrich Von Andernach) in question. Have a look:

No One Writes Songs for Von Andernach
By Curian Cantwr

Chorus:
No one writes songs for von Andernach -
Dietrich von Andernach.
No one writes songs for von Andernach,
Because his name won't rhyme.

Verses:
The Midlandish army's an int'resting lot.
The man who would lead them, just what has he got?
A name that will scan to this song, he has not,
And this is why we say that...

The sight of such scansion should cause you to fear
This polysyllabically named engineer.
It lands like an elephant right on your ear,
And from it bards do flee. So...

There are those that suppose that this song is satirical,
To claim that his name is a bit less than lyrical.
Have they e'er put a square peg in a hole that is spherical?
For until the day they do there's...

Teutonic phraseology should be verboten,
A barbaric assault on a poor poet's noggin:
Der Freischutz, gesundheit, unt vorse yet Volkswagen;
such things just can't be sung. So...

In comparison, Everest seems quite simply climbable.
This name that even makes "orange" look rhymable.
Not even John Inchingham found it combinable
With any verse he wrote. So...

From this malign moniker you can bet,
this sesquipedalian sobriquet,
Abuse like this song will be all he does get,
Or we'll just call him "Bob". Ah!

Ending Chrous:
No one writes songs for Bob -
Bob - Bob.
No one writes songs for Bob,
Even though his name now rhymes.

Repeat regular chorus one last time.

Ok. so... no s**t, there I was at Dark River's 25th (I think) Anniversary event, with a couple of my friends. We'd had a good day at the event, and were getting ready to head for home, since we didn't have feast tickets and we were just daytripping to the event.

We got out to the car, loaded up all our stuff (of COURSE we had a lot of stuff with us--it was three female bards, after all! wink ) and then discovered.... the car wouldn't start! We'd left the lights on, and the battery was completely dead. Fortunately, I had AAA and the driver had a cell phone, so we soon had a tow truck enroute to give us a jump. But they said it would be a wait of about 45 minutes or so.

Naturally, being the bards that we are....what did we do to pass the time? We sang! We dug out our bardic books and, since we were in the Midrealm, started singing all the Midrealm songs we had--which were largely songs written by Curian.

So there we were, in the middle of a darkening parking lot, singing "No One Writes Songs for Von Andernach" at the tops of our lungs, when all of a sudden we hear a burst of laughter from across the lot. We blink, look at each other, and then look over toward the noise. We see a few other people loading up their vehicles and preparing to leave, and one of them is waving frantically at us, and pointing at the truck beside her, yelling something.

We stop singing and suddenly realize she's shouting, "HE'S RIGHT HERE! HE'S IN /THAT TRUCK/!!!"

Well naturally we had to go and investigate... and sure enough, sitting in the driver's seat of the truck was one acutely embarrassed Dietrich Von Andernach, former General of the Army of the Middle Kingdom, trying to come to grips with the fact that three women he's never seen before in his life were just singing a song about him in the parking lot. rofl

And that is the tale of how I met the famous Von Andernach--the man whose name won't rhyme. =) And we learned that his dad's name is, in fact.... Bob. Hee!  

Imzy
Crew

GaijinGuy36

8,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:35 pm
No s**t, there I was. Sitting in the passenger seat of my cousin Matt's car, coming home after an all-nighter party out in the boonies at about 4:30 AM. He's still drunk as a skunk, and one of my brothers is passed out in the back seat.

Matt starts to get sleepy behind the wheel, and dozes off. He leans on the wheel, turning us so that we're about to go head-on against a big honkin' pick-up truck. I yell his name in his ear, and he wakes up, jerks the wheel back to the right, and we go swinging wide across an intersection. It's about then that my brither wakes up. We clip two constuction sawhorses and nearly rear-end a parked car, then go into a 180 and end up parked on the opposite side of the street, facing the way we'd been coming from.

Everyone collectively let out a big gasp, that we were still alive, then assessed the damage. One of Matt's wheel rims had been bent enough it had cut into his tire, and it was leaking air. My little bro and I had to get a ride home from his mom. He got his a** chewed out sooooo bad.

Yeah, it all happened a lot of years back, but I was still so sure we were all dead meat. I've never been so happy to be wrong about anything. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:58 pm
...and then there was the time when I went to a post revel and a hockey game broke out.... lol

No s**t, there I was, sitting around the gym at the end of Shadowdale's 20th anniversary event. Feast had been cleared away, and folks (the King of Calontir among them) were just hanging around, singing, talking, drinking... just generally winding down from the day's activities. And then someone came in carrying a tray of food that had been in the royalty room all day, commenting about how the bagels on it were hard as pucks.

The next thing we knew, His Majesty and some of the other guys had grabbed brooms, rattan weapons, whatever they could get their hands on to use for sticks, setting up makeshift goals, and body-checking one another across the gym! This, of course, was Calontir-style hockey, so... there /was/ no out of bounds, and just like everyone in Calontir is considered to be a part of the Army... we were all players, whether we wanted to play or not. I grabbed a broom to protect myself, since I was still sitting off to the side by the table we'd been sitting around, and the 'puck' had an alarming tendency to end up coming in my direction. o_O

It was hilarious. Drunken Calontiri playing bagel broomball/hockey. A night that will live in infamy. biggrin  

Imzy
Crew

GaijinGuy36

8,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:13 pm
Hehe, Bagel Hockey. Funny!

On a more SCA-related topic, there was one time, a lot of years back, when I was still an informal part of the then-shire of Windhaven. It was at a dance class, or a practice, and everyone was really putting their weight on it. We went from one dance to another, until we got to the one that got me sitting out. The Koro Bushka. Dunno if I'm spelling it right, but that's how it sounds.

Anyway, we were in a huge circle around this gymnasium, dancing, and loving every minute. Then I take a bad step, and the outer edge of my boot comes down on the floor instead of the sole. My ankle folded without breaking (somehow), and I went down on my side, startled as all blue hell. But the good part is, as soon as I went down like that, there were about 4 or 5 people all rushing my way, to be sure I was all right. They walked me to a chair and had me sit down for a few, to take stock, see if anything was still unusually sore. I was fine, luckily. A lot more scared than hurt.

I kinda stayed with the simpler dances after that, but have since forgotten them all. *sigh*  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:22 pm
Gaijin32
Hehe, Bagel Hockey. Funny!

On a more SCA-related topic, there was one time, a lot of years back, when I was still an informal part of the then-shire of Windhaven. It was at a dance class, or a practice, and everyone was really putting their weight on it. We went from one dance to another, until we got to the one that got me sitting out. The Koro Bushka. Dunno if I'm spelling it right, but that's how it sounds.

Anyway, we were in a huge circle around this gymnasium, dancing, and loving every minute. Then I take a bad step, and the outer edge of my boot comes down on the floor instead of the sole. My ankle folded without breaking (somehow), and I went down on my side, startled as all blue hell. But the good part is, as soon as I went down like that, there were about 4 or 5 people all rushing my way, to be sure I was all right. They walked me to a chair and had me sit down for a few, to take stock, see if anything was still unusually sore. I was fine, luckily. A lot more scared than hurt.

I kinda stayed with the simpler dances after that, but have since forgotten them all. *sigh*

*lol* ah, yes, the karabushka (I think...). That dance can be lethal, especially if you have anything weighty dangling from your belt, or long tippets on your sleeves, or anything like that. biggrin  

Imzy
Crew

Arithrel
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:00 am
No s**t, there I was, at an event in a nice wooded area up in Ramsgaard. It was a good seven hour drive back to Lions Gate, so my mom, sister, younger brother and I packed up our car and trailer and got ready to go round about ten am. My sister starts up her little two door Tracker, we wave to the people camped near us, and my sister puts it into reverse.

THUNK. And the tracker stops moving.

So, my sister's all..."wtf?" and gets out of the car. She looks and discovers that the little hill she thought she had to back over was actually a grass covered tree stump, and the car was now perched on top of it. We couldn't move forward or back. The people camped around us saw what had happened, and came over to see if they could help. Unfortunately, the car was good and stuck. So we ran and got the squire who my brother is a page to, and his household.

I then watched six large viking men unattatch the trailer, move it, pick up my sister's tracker, carry it off the stump for us, and then reattatch the trailer. Nobody in the Shire of Ramsgaard has ever forgotten that, and next time we go up there they plan on giving my sister the "stump award". I think it will be many, many years before that is ever forgotten by anyone present.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:45 am
Arithrel
No s**t, there I was, at an event in a nice wooded area up in Ramsgaard. It was a good seven hour drive back to Lions Gate, so my mom, sister, younger brother and I packed up our car and trailer and got ready to go round about ten am. My sister starts up her little two door Tracker, we wave to the people camped near us, and my sister puts it into reverse.

THUNK. And the tracker stops moving.

So, my sister's all..."wtf?" and gets out of the car. She looks and discovers that the little hill she thought she had to back over was actually a grass covered tree stump, and the car was now perched on top of it. We couldn't move forward or back. The people camped around us saw what had happened, and came over to see if they could help. Unfortunately, the car was good and stuck. So we ran and got the squire who my brother is a page to, and his household.

I then watched six large viking men unattatch the trailer, move it, pick up my sister's tracker, carry it off the stump for us, and then reattatch the trailer. Nobody in the Shire of Ramsgaard has ever forgotten that, and next time we go up there they plan on giving my sister the "stump award". I think it will be many, many years before that is ever forgotten by anyone present.

rofl OMG. I can /so/ picture that. Heee!  

Imzy
Crew

Arithrel
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:00 am
Oh, it was priceless. There wasn't a straight face on site. I just wish we'd gotten pictures! lol  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:10 am
I hope its alright I'm telling a story about somthing(s) that happened in school?

No s**t, there I was, fourth day of 9th grade (first level in highschool), in my english class and my teacher felt that in order for us to understand Romeo and Juliet better we should get a feeling for the time period. Someone got the dome theater another got clothing, I got food. Thats right, food. I think thats part of the reason this all happened.

See, food is just so odd of a topic to know that when I told my teacher I was familiar with a great many dishes already from the era, and I felt that I didn't need to do hard book work in order to complete the assignment, she flat out didn't believe me. So I went to my mom, I explained my situation, and she helped me find the books that would have the odd dishes and drinks I loved like lemon cider, proving they were from the era.

I got an A on the assignment but my teacher (who later became my foresnics coach) never stoped believing me a bit of a know-it-all.

2. In my early civilizations class we had just entered the feudal era. My teacher was a bit of a flake and decided that for the entire week we were studying the times until the rennisance we should form miniture medieval cummunities in the class. I was made a begger but what can you do? Anywho one project was we were to explain how a harsh system like feudalism either was or was not the best choice for the medieval society. There I was minding my own business when my teacher hands me my notebook back and, outloud asks me to voice my paper out loud to the class. (I was explaining how chaos needed to be tamed and that the feudal governance was able to tie the many lands and spread out people together right after the fall of rome.) She had done this before mind you, when we were studying Roman and greek mythology. I really hate being showoffy, but my teacher announced right then an there that I knew this purhaps best of anything taught in that class.

This is why I say being part of SCA bassically makes early history a cake course. Not that any of us is trying to slack off on work, take the easy route or show off, its just that we love knowing about it.

3. This is one of my favs. Once again school, english. Beowolf this time. By this time I suspected that what was common sense to me might be foreign to most others. So I spoke to the teacher seperatly, I wasn't sure my answers were correct, or how I would proove them (research on Wereguilds vikings ect.) such as women vikings were still considered feirce creatures to deal with... and wereguilds are "Life debts". She let me pass on the questions I could answer verbally to her. Which I was greatful for. Very greatful for. and she never once asked how I knew it.

I just found these rather humorous tales that were somewhat triggered by my being in the SCA.... sweatdrop if you want to move them you many 3nodding

Faeyas

6,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Imzy
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:33 am
Faeyas
I hope its alright I'm telling a story about somthing(s) that happened in school?

No s**t, there I was, fourth day of 9th grade (first level in highschool), in my english class and my teacher felt that in order for us to understand Romeo and Juliet better we should get a feeling for the time period. Someone got the dome theater another got clothing, I got food. Thats right, food. I think thats part of the reason this all happened.

See, food is just so odd of a topic to know that when I told my teacher I was familiar with a great many dishes already from the era, and I felt that I didn't need to do hard book work in order to complete the assignment, she flat out didn't believe me. So I went to my mom, I explained my situation, and she helped me find the books that would have the odd dishes and drinks I loved like lemon cider, proving they were from the era.

I got an A on the assignment but my teacher (who later became my foresnics coach) never stoped believing me a bit of a know-it-all.

2. In my early civilizations class we had just entered the feudal era. My teacher was a bit of a flake and decided that for the entire week we were studying the times until the rennisance we should form miniture medieval cummunities in the class. I was made a begger but what can you do? Anywho one project was we were to explain how a harsh system like feudalism either was or was not the best choice for the medieval society. There I was minding my own business when my teacher hands me my notebook back and, outloud asks me to voice my paper out loud to the class. (I was explaining how chaos needed to be tamed and that the feudal governance was able to tie the many lands and spread out people together right after the fall of rome.) She had done this before mind you, when we were studying Roman and greek mythology. I really hate being showoffy, but my teacher announced right then an there that I knew this purhaps best of anything taught in that class.

This is why I say being part of SCA bassically makes early history a cake course. Not that any of us is trying to slack off on work, take the easy route or show off, its just that we love knowing about it.

3. This is one of my favs. Once again school, english. Beowolf this time. By this time I suspected that what was common sense to me might be foreign to most others. So I spoke to the teacher seperatly, I wasn't sure my answers were correct, or how I would proove them (research on Wereguilds vikings ect.) such as women vikings were still considered feirce creatures to deal with... and wereguilds are "Life debts". She let me pass on the questions I could answer verbally to her. Which I was greatful for. Very greatful for. and she never once asked how I knew it.

I just found these rather humorous tales that were somewhat triggered by my being in the SCA.... sweatdrop if you want to move them you many 3nodding

Move them? Heaven forfend! Those are great! smile I must say, I'm envious. I didn't discover the SCA til I was 26.... if I'd found it earlier, I might've done better in history in school.

However, being in the SCA /did/ win me $50 in an essay contest last year and $10 in an essay contest this year, when I got first place and honorable mention for essays I wrote about some of my SCA experiences. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:34 am
Faeyas

Those are great! I've got a couple of stories like that, too.

1. English class, grade eleven. We're watching a video of Much Ado About Nothing. I don't remember which one it was, but it was a good one, not modernized or anything. So I'm sitting there killing myself laughing at all of the Shakespearean jokes, and the rest of the class is just looking at me. I look up and all I can say is, "It's funny. Just trust me."

2. Socials class, grade eight (yeah, yeah, out of order. Bite me.). We were studying the middle ages and had to pick off of a list of topics to do our big oral report on. I got fashion. Hello easy! I brought in some of my garb, wrote an essay to read out, and brought it in. Another kid in my class had begged and pleaded with the teacher to let him do fashion too, so he had let him. He brought in this absolutely hideous looking cloak...thing...and tried to tell me that my pretty italian ren dress was wrong. I kept throwing proof at him showing him why mine was right and his was not, and when he didn't believe me, two other guys in the class (and keep in mind, I was VERY unpopular in grade eight lol) offered to beat him up for me.

3. English class, grade twelve. We were reading Taming of the Shrew (there was no end to my delight on that-I love that play so much.) and in general, every day the teacher would assign different people to read the different roles, with the exception of Petruccio which he always read himself. That changed slightly after the second day, when he never again reassigned the role of Katharina. Because I actually understood what she was saying, I could read it how it was meant. Everyone had a blast listening to Mr. Bloudell and myself yelling at each other. lol  

Arithrel
Crew

Imzy
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:23 am
Arithrel
3. English class, grade twelve. We were reading Taming of the Shrew (there was no end to my delight on that-I love that play so much.) and in general, every day the teacher would assign different people to read the different roles, with the exception of Petruccio which he always read himself. That changed slightly after the second day, when he never again reassigned the role of Katharina. Because I actually understood what she was saying, I could read it how it was meant. Everyone had a blast listening to Mr. Bloudell and myself yelling at each other. lol

Hee. Yeah, that is a great play. In 9th or 10th grade (Hey, it all starts getting fuzzy when you've been out of school for ten years...), I memorized Kate's monologue from the end of Taming of the Shrew for my final presentation in Advanced Theater class. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:43 am
Imzy
Arithrel

Hee. Yeah, that is a great play. In 9th or 10th grade (Hey, it all starts getting fuzzy when you've been out of school for ten years...), I memorized Kate's monologue from the end of Taming of the Shrew for my final presentation in Advanced Theater class. smile

That's so awesome. I did a scene from Antony and Cleopatra with a friend in grade eleven.  

Arithrel
Crew

Red Zomby

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:39 am
Alright, No s**t there I was...

So I'm at war and before the battle I hear some guy, later to be Identified as Seamus of Wolfgarden, bragging about his skills and his new halberd. Being the arms enthusiast that I am, I had to check it out. It was very nice, but I noticed that It wouldn't pass inspection, because the ax head on top was loose. Upon telling him, he took it as a challenge, (I think he was a little drunk) so we both armor up and I take his weapon and he recieves my trusty Greatsword "Engel".
after 3 bouts The weapon is about to fall apart at the seams, but he insists it's fine so we have another fight.
So when his friend cries "Fight!" I swing the weapon as hard as I can even though I'm a good 12 or so feet away from my opponent. The halberds head go's flying and hits his face plate so hard, It sticks between the protective bars. the gathering crowd of about 2 dozen, including my friend Cristoph Brennenvogel (a deputy marshal) cheer at the unlikely humiliation. We later shared a drink and settled our differences.
But for the next 2 days of the war he is known as "Seamus the loose-headed"  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces