Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
what to crochet~?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Psycho Butterfly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:01 pm
okay so I'm a newbie with crocheting... and I really can't figure out what to crochet thats in my range of... well easiy-ness... XD

I can't really do anything that needs to be stuffed (no polyfiber stuffing) ... and yeah..

D: help me eleviate my boredum~ surprised  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:46 am
well, shaping in crochet is far easier than shaping in knitting (in my humble opinion). Scarves are long so they might be hard to stick to for a first project; I would suggest something like a headband or a kerchief.

Then again crocheting is fast and if you use chunky yarn, double crochet, and a big hook you can complete a scarf in two nights.
If you're beyond scarves, you could try crocheting a circle (it's really easy) which leads to coasters, placemats, chair cushions and eventually hats and tubular pillows.

If you're beginning one tip I'll give you is that when you turn your work, make sure you start each row correctly. (I fould this up and ended with a badly misshapen scarf once... and then almost everyone else I know who started did it too >.<)

if you're using single crochet the turning chain does not count as a stitch and you'll crochet in the first stich and go right along your merry way, crocheting to the last stitch but not the turning chain on the other side (which is hard to see anyways)

If you're using half double crochet or anthing taller (double crochet, triple crochet, triple treble and so on) The turning chain does count as a stitch. So you have to skip the first stitch and double crochet into the second, and on your merry way until the end of the row where you will double crochet into the turning chain as the last stitch and turn.

If you chain on 10-15 stitch of a nice chunky yarn you could complete a scarf in no time and see how you like it.

Good luck!  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

GooGooDoll

3,900 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:52 am
Patch cushions are good.
You just make load of squares with different stitches and colours and then sew them together.
They look really effect and they help you practise different stitches.
You could also do bigger squares and then sew them together to make a blanket.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:24 pm
GooGooDoll
Patch cushions are good.
You just make load of squares with different stitches and colours and then sew them together.
They look really effect and they help you practise different stitches.
You could also do bigger squares and then sew them together to make a blanket.
or you can make them into pot holders xD  

hyper_azn_girl

RocknRollDragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:44 am
I have an extremly easy pattern to make a beanie. If you want it let me know 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:31 pm
The first thing I ever made was a beanie for my best friend (I got the pattern out of Stitch and b***h: Happy Hooker). Then I decided to make a blanket and it consisted of a bajillion granny squares and those were a good way for me to learn double crochet stitches (so I suggest a couple of those, you can always sew them together to make a cute little plushie or as glass cleaners 3nodding ). I love crochet, and I hope you come to enjoy it as much too biggrin .  

spiffydesu

5,700 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:06 pm
A mushroom afghan! rofl

Which is actually easier than it looks, since it's almost entirely single crochet, and done in blocks crocheted together. Which means I have to make matching pillows as anniversaries come up. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:56 pm
If you have the ability to stick to it, granny squares are easy to carry around and pretty easy to make (and once you get the hang of them you can make the same thing over and over so it's simple) If you make a few they can be a nice scarf; if you make alot you have yourself an afghan!  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:38 pm
I'd say go to Crochet Pattern Central and look at the free patterns. You can find almost anything, and you can find easy patterns for most things too!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:04 pm
I have been a member for a while but never posted
its my 1st make granny squares crochet them togeather make a afgan  

Too_Me2

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:20 am
I'm all for corcheting granny squares as a good project.

Orrr... my current favortie way to find new project ideas.... www.crochetville.org . ^^ FABULOUS patterns posted by members. Way to much fun.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:34 pm
Silver Mist
I'm all for corcheting granny squares as a good project.

Orrr... my current favortie way to find new project ideas.... www.crochetville.org . ^^ FABULOUS patterns posted by members. Way to much fun.

yes granny squares is a nice started, also if tyou haev a chuncky yarn you can make somethign long and simple fast liek a scarf for a beginner project.

Kanhoro

K5pnon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:04 pm
once you get the hang of single crochet, amigurumi are so much fun to make. they're cute little stuffed animals. just google it and you'll find tons of easy patterns. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:18 pm
AriRashkae
A mushroom afghan! rofl

Which is actually easier than it looks, since it's almost entirely single crochet, and done in blocks crocheted together. Which means I have to make matching pillows as anniversaries come up. sweatdrop

If I myself attempted that, I would mangle it horribly.

Is there any way to knit that?

The Star is Vain

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:38 am
ThroughYourEmpathy
AriRashkae
A mushroom afghan! rofl

If I myself attempted that, I would mangle it horribly.

Is there any way to knit that?

I'm new to the word of knitting (being a crocheter), but I'm assuming if you used (whatever its called when you knit a row, purl a row) and simply changed colors where nessecary, you could manage to produce the squares simply enough. Then either crochet them together or sew them together.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games