Welcome to Gaia! ::

The KoS Guild: The AMv capitol of the universe!

Back to Guilds

Reply The AMV Guild
Detailed AMV descriptions?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Useful?
Definitely
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Perhaps
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Waste of Time
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

Balcerzak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:48 pm
Ok, I have an idea. It may be kind of stupid, but bear with me. When I was doing some of my more recent replies (notably on the "good ___ videos" threads) I more or less wrote plugs for some videos of that series that were my favorites. Granted in hindsight, they weren't very good or descriptive plugs, but perhaps if we could come up with some sort of system (you know like those profile questioneer things we fill out to get to know each other better) to give a reasonably succint description of the music video in question, and why we like it. (Perhaps this is irrelevent with the searching features of AMV.org, but perhaps not, I know I'm usually to lazy to go around looking through the whole database downloading things I may or may not enjoy, I would much prefer recieving recommendations from trusted friends)

As an example say I were trying to describe the Devil's Dance, Hellsing Music video I alluded to, it would go something like this:

Creator (if known): Marisa of Tidirium Studio
Footage (Most prominent footage if mixed): Hellsing
Song(s): Devil's Dance by Metallica
Category(/ies): Character profile
Theme(s): Explores the relationship between Celes and Alucard, following the series in more or less chronological order.
Other (Why you like it/What distinguishes it from others in its field): This is a technically well made video that uses a lot of effects in transistions, some lip-synch (a little sloppy, but forgivable IMO for a non-native English speaker), and the footage nicely follows the "story" set up by the song lyrics, notably that of someone tempted by "the devil" who ends up joining him. Will you see much of the same stock Hellsing footage you've seen elsewhere? Yes, but to it's credit (according to AMV.org) this is among the first 10% of Hellsing videos created. Additionally a lot of the footage is more on the less used side, and all of it fits. This is a serious piece, so if you only enjoy comedies and parodies, don't bother unless you love Hellsing.

Which is about all the plugging and description I can think of without getting ridiculously in depth, or needing to search excessively (amv twice: once to find the video/creator, once to list Hellsing vids in order of premiering, google once to find lyrics, in case folk wanted to read them). If the footage or the song were more obscure I would spend a little more time describing it, (for instance if the footage were say Tsukuyomi Moon Phase, I would want to at least mention that it is an anime about a cute vampire girl who wears cat ears, and tries to make a photographer whose photographs always show spirits - even when he doesn't want them to - into her servant; or if the band were say Closterkeller I would want to at least mention that they play music that's mostly metal with a female vocalist [think along the lines of Lacuna Coil or Nightwish: or if you know neither of those, think Evanescence, which although less accurate will get across a bit of the style])

Do people think this would be a useful sort of resource to build, or is everybody content with AMV.org? I think that this is infinitely more useful than a plain old "list some of your favorite videos", or performing searches based simply on footage, or song; I would certainly find it useful to read such descriptions as written up by my peers.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:13 am
The question I have is how do we organize such a listing?  

Zahmira

The Eternal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:40 am
Zahmira

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:14 pm
Zahmira

Hmmm, well I never said it was perfect. xd I was more intested in the possible utility of such a thing in theory, and not the practical implementation of it.
But I'll do some thinking and get back to you on that.  

Balcerzak

Zahmira

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:56 pm
I had a thought. And I think I'll impliment it tonight since I'm not tired at all. What about something like what was done here? It could be organized alphabetically by anime or by AMV title. Not sure what would work better.

I'll try making a thread and see what it looks like.

Edit: How did I do?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:37 am
Zahmira
I had a thought. And I think I'll impliment it tonight since I'm not tired at all. What about something like what was done here? It could be organized alphabetically by anime or by AMV title. Not sure what would work better.

Looks good. Only thing is I hope it won't be too much trouble for you to maintain, but then again it's probably not going to be flooded with submissions (I'm expecting a trickle). I'll write a few more up when I'm bored cleaning the subtitles off of frames.  

Balcerzak

Zahmira

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:18 am
Balcerzak
Zahmira

Looks good. Only thing is I hope it won't be too much trouble for you to maintain, but then again it's probably not going to be flooded with submissions (I'm expecting a trickle). I'll write a few more up when I'm bored cleaning the subtitles off of frames.
We'll see how it works out. The only thing I can see being trouble is the crosslisting. If it gets to be too much, I'll just get rid of that part.  
The AMV Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games