Vice Captain

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:20 pm
Dress Up Guide

This is a mini guide designed to help Gaians with dressing their avatar.
These are just suggestions and are not mandatory.
In the end, all that matters is whether you like your avatar or not. These guidelines help put together an aethetically pleasing avatar. Following these guidelines usually produce an avatar that just a nice flow and balance.
This is not a guide for cosplays, real life avatars, etc.
Just a guide for making good avatars. ;D XD

Note: Most of the avatars used in this guide were made using Tektek's Dream Avatar Creator Tool

Please enjoy. I hope this guide helps you in creating that perfect avatar for you. :] <3

Index

Introduction <-- You are here.
Basic Guidelines
Recommended Items
Example Avatars
Entering the Avatar Arena

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:21 pm
Basic Guidelines

I did not make up these guidelines. Many people keep these in mind when dressing up their avatar because, when used effectively, they usually make an avatar more pleasing to the eye.

Matching
  • Pick two or three colors that compliment each other. More colors can be used.
  • A good place to start is by matching the items to your hair and your eye color.
    • There are two schools of thought on this matter. Some believe that the hair and eye color should match the other items on the avatar. Others believe that's ludicrous because you don't match your outfit to your hair and eyes in real life. I believe that avatars flow better overall when everything matches.
    • You have a few options when it comes to this:
      • Stick to the colors of your hair and your eyes and always include those in your outfits.
      • Change your hair and eyes to fit the new outfit. You can delete and recreate your avatar in the new color scheme.
      • Eyes can be covered with contacts, masks and glasses.
      • You can buy new hair from the salon or wear a wig. Masks that cover the face often hide hair.
      • You can also use a really short hairstyle and hide the hair with hats when you don't want that color to show. You can also use hair that is a mute color and won't stand out too much. Try the colors of white, grey and black for this.
  • Use the same shades of each color. Colors on Gaia vary a lot. Many blacks are often dark blue. The white colors have many different shadows that slightly change the color of the overall item. Don't just throw on any item because it says 'blue.'
  • It's fun to find one item that has mutiple colors and then build your avatar around it.

Color Balance
  • Spread the color(s) evenly around the avatar. Try to have those colors appear on the top, the middle and bottom of the avatar.
  • A key to succeeding is not having an item of one color touch another item of the same color. Alternate the items of different colors. Accessory items play a big role in this.

Flow
  • Don't make the avatar top or bottom heavy.
    • When the avatar is top heavy, too many items are cluttered at the top of the head or one large item is on the head. The avatar looks like it's going to topple over at any second.
    • The avatar is bottom heavy when an item sticks out too far on the bottom half of the avatar. This often makes the avatar look awkward. I think you can usually get away with it, if the large item is at the very bottom of the avatar. For example, large shoes or having a pet sit next to you on the ground.

• If the item(s) on the head are overpowering and large, balance it by wearing larger shoes. Using a cane works. This tricks the viewer's mind. Visually seeing that the 'weight' is supported a cane makes the avatar look balanced.
  • When both male and female avatars are wearing the same items, the male avatars usually look better. The male frame is better balanced and items look better on it in general. Females have to worry more than males about whether a combination of items will have a nice flow to them. Their small feet and stance can't balance their items.

Originality
  • Avatars that stand out usually aren't typical. If your avatar looks like every other avatar, then it's not going to be noticed.
  • Don't use more than one item from the same set. Anyone can put items from the same set together. You can get away with two (three at most) if the items are accessories and don't cover a major portion of the avatar.
  • Try to use items that few others use. You can also use items that everyone uses, but try to put a new spin on them.

Layering/Clutter
  • There's a fine line between layering enough items and adding too many items. Wearing too few items leaves the viewer wanting more. Too many items is unapealing to the eye. (The exception is the overly cluttered avatars. Some do turn out rather neat.)
  • Use the different layers to your advantage. This will allow you to better balance the colors on the avatar.
  • Female avatars have more accessories at their disposal for layering purposes. Also, while many guys won't wear skirts, layering skirts over pants provides for much more color matching options.

sdrawkcab

Vice Captain

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

sdrawkcab

Vice Captain

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:45 pm
Recommended Items

This post lists items that are useful in any inventory. These items are staples for those who'd like to change their avatars and make different avatars often. They're also good items to keep in mind when making an outfit that you'll choose to keep for a long time.

The first section lists some basic types of items that are useful.
The second section lists a few groups of accessory items. Some examples of how this makes dressing easier and faster are also shown.

Key Items

These are the items that are useful when designing a dream avatar, or for keeping in the inventory to work with many outfits. Having a variety of items that equip in different layers is the goal.
I will list items that are relatively cheap. Hahah, believe you me that I want to list them all. I also want to list more types, such as skirts and shorts. I know you don't want to read that much, so I'll hit a few highlights. Please bear with me. >.<;;

Undergarments
These are wonderful items. They basically equip under shirts, skirts, pants, socks, gloves, etc. These items are definitely a key tool in adding more color or filling up spaces that just seem too bare.
Any: Lonjohns, white wool shirt, snowy leggings
Female: the strapless bras, soft underwears, one piece swimsuits
Male: wetsuits

Items that Hide Hair Color
This category includes wigs and masks. Many of the current wigs on Gaia are either expensive store items or expensive monthly collectibles.
Masks are very handy as they will hide both the eye and hair color. Many masks exist at a cheap price, but are often very colorful. I will only list masks with basic colors.
Any: Black Skeleton Mask, The Mask, Egyptian Short Black Wig
Female: -
Male: -

Items that Hide Eye Color
Any: Zorro Mask, chache shaes, torque shades, Romani Glasses

Necklaces
Any: anti fashion necklaces, ties, the 4th amigo ties, Gold Locket, Neck Ruffle, scarves, winter scarves
Female: pompom scarves,
Male: bowties

Gloves
An excellent way to cover bare arms and add in more color to the midsection. Females have more choices in this area. This is good because female hands look very awkward and nubby. XD [/personal opinion]
Any: medical gloves, Those Black 90s Gloves, Gold Bracelet, Roco Rochel Costume Bracelet, Black Gloves
Female: Felicia's Gloves, daisy's gloves, lex's gloves, peasant gloves, Elegant Blue Gloves,
Male: Dancer Cuffs, Matial Arts Bracers

Belts
Belts add color to the middle of the avatar, can break up two items of clothing that are the same color and often pull in that last touch of sophistication.
Any: leather belts, buckle belts

Socks and Ankle Items
These items are great tools for adding color to the bottom of the avatar. Open toe shoes really bring out the potential of socks. The ankle items layer over socks and usually layer over pant items.
Any: class socks, snug lacy leggings, egyptian gold anklets,
Female: leg warmers, White Mid Sock, winter socks, stockings, striped stockings, punk socks
Male: radicool socks, long socks, Retro Scholar Cloudy Socks

Handheld Accessories
These are very versatile. Holding these items in different positions will bring different colors to different areas of the avatar. Handheld items come in all shapes, sizes and colors. ...Or at least a lot of them do.
Any: pimpin canes, magician's wand, boomboxes, jenny's purses, ceramic mugs

Expensive Items
And here's a quick list of expensive items that make good key items. They're just too expensive to say that every inventory should have one.
Many of these items are cheap at this moment, but will increase in price. If you like any of these items and can buy them at the moment, go for it. ;]

Devil Tail
Chain Wallet
Golden Laurels
Winged Anklets
Dark Halo
Elemental Hair
Mythic Hair
Demonic Anklets
Fresh Grass Skirt
G Pin
Labu Necklace
4 Leaf Clover Pin
Lucky 4Leaf Clover
Card Shark Bands
Long Drag
Elegant Antoinette Wig (Powdered)
Elegant Lord's Wig (Powdered)

Items in Color Groups

Buying items in color groups will allow you to easily make new outfits for your avatar. You know you have items that work well together because you bought items that match. Just mix and match items of two different colors to make a new outfit.

All you have to do is buy a few key items that match each other. You don't have to have a whole bunch of items to change your avatar frequently, but it does help. Be sure to buy items that equip in slots that are balanced around the avatar.

I'll list a couple groups of items that make good accessory items. Many other items on Gaia match these items. Many more expensive items match them too. xD I will not list every match possible or I would be here forever. x.x Plus, no one would read it all. XD
After the lists are a couple examples of how you can work this to your advantage. =]

User ImageUser ImageBlack
Black Class Sock
Black Leather Belt
Black Tie
Drop Dead Gorgeous Onyx Skull Hairpin
Icy Snug Lacy Leggings
Lex's Dark Gloves (Female)
Magician's Wand
Romani Glasses
Suspenders (Male)
Those Black 90s Gloves
That Black 90s Visor
Waste Glamrock Headband

User Image User Image
Red
Clot Glamrock Headband
Clown Nose
Crimson Red Pimpin' Cane
Red Bowtie (Male)
Red Ceramic Mug
Red Flame Shoes
Red Leather Belt
Red Longjohns
Red Tie
Roco Rochel Costume Bracelet
That Red 90s Visor

User Image User Image
Blue
Anti-Fashion Blue Anti-Accessory
Blue Bowtie (male)
Blue Flame Shoes
Blue Longjohns
Blue Paper Crown
Cool Sporty Starter Sneakers
Icy Snug Balloon Skirt
Navy Ceramic Mug
Tide Glamrock Headband

User ImageUser Image
White
#FFFFFF Complex Band (Female)
Dancer Cuffs (Male)
Drop Dead Gorgeous Skull Hairpin
Drop Dead Gorgeous Stone Skull Earrings
Elegant Snowy Cravat
Elegant Snowy Leggings
Fitted White Shorts - grey trim (Male)
Lex's White Gloves (Female)
Neck Ruffle
Neutral Hip Starter Sneakers
White Beret
White Bowtie (Male)
White Leather Belt
White Medical Gloves
White Mid Sock (Female)
White Wool Top

User Image User Image
Gold
Decorative Daisy
Egyptian Cobra Headband
Egyptian Gold Anklet (right)
Egyptian Gold Anklet (left)
Egyptian Gold Armlet
Gold Bracelet
Gold Hoop Earrings
Gold Pocket Watch
KoNfuZeD YeLLoW SHoEz
Monocle
The 4th Amigo Dusti Tie
Yellow Torque Shades
Yellow Candy Striped Stockings (Female)

Making Outfits

Now~ let's put some of these item groupings to use. =]

Females

First, let's choose a color. Blue sounds like a good color. Evenly balance some blue items around the avatar.
User Image
Next, let's choose a second color and evenly balance those items around the avatar. The grecian shorts are excellent items to use under skirts and with stockings or socks.
User Image
Now~ we choose a third color. Red sounds fun. The red hair brings red to the top of the avatar. The socks will show through the flame shoes. The belt will show over the skirt on Gaia. The bottle is added because it is both red and blue.
User Image User Image

Item List:
BLUE CRUSH! Bottled Cooler
Blue Flame Shoes
Blue Paper Crown
Canary Yellow Pimpin' Cane
Clown Nose
Golden Yellow Ribbon
Grecian Shorts Green
Icy Snug Balloon Skirt
Mustard Ruffled Top
Red Class Sock
Red Leather Belt
Red Longjohns

Estimated Total: 11,369 Gold
(Estimated with known item values on 10 May 2007)

Now~ let's use the first two colors again and then add a third 'group' of items to make a different outfit.
User Image User Image
We'll add white as our third color. However, since we already have yellow, we'll use a couple items that are both yellow and white. The mustard ruffle top layers over the white wool shirt on Gaia.
User Image User Image

Item List:
Blue Flame Shoes
Blue Paper Crown
Decorative Daisy
Grecian Shorts Green
Icy Snug Balloon Skirt
Mustard Ruffled Top
White Wool Top
Yellow Candy Striped Stockings

Estimated Total: 9,136 Gold

This is an outfit of mine that is close to the last example. I just want to show how the shirt does layer.
User Image

Males

First, we'll choose a few white items to spread around the avatar.
User Image

Next we'll throw in a few black items. Bear with me, this doesn't look very balanced, but that's because I have a target in mind and know that I can balance it. Plus, I can always go back and tweak the amount of black or other items.
Those Black 90s gloves layer under Dancer Cuffs.
User Image

And finally, we'll add our third color: Gold. We need shoes, so we'll add Konfuzed Yellow Shoez. These shoes contain all three colors that we're dressing this avatar in. The Yellow Mehtro T with Cross is both gold and black. The shades don't match exactly, but they match enough to not disrupt the flow of the avatar.
Next we'll choose our hair. I've chosen the rainy hair because I like how it looks with the Yellow Torque Shades.
The decorative daisy could've also been used, but I didn't want to scare away any of you guys who won't wear flowers on your head.
User Image User Image
Total Value: 20,614 Gold
[Item Information]

Item List:
Fitted White Shorts - grey trim
Dancer Cuffs
Black Leather Belt
KoNfuZeD YeLLoW SHoEz
White Bowtie
Those Black 90s Gloves
Yellow Torque Shades
White Beret
Yellow MehTRO T with Cross

I'd like to thank JeeszyCreezy for modeling one of his signature outfits that's very close to the one I put together above. Note that the dancer cuffs do layer over 90s gloves on Gaia.
User Image

Let's make another avatar using the first two white and black groupings of items and add a third color to it to make a different outfit.
User ImageUser Image

Green is a great color that really pops off the screen. ...But not in a way that blinds people.
The following items were chosen. The Green Jersey Top was used because we already have white in the avatar.
I chose black hair and green eyes.
User Image

If we add the green to the white and black items we've already chosen, we get this avatar. This avatar does not look very polished. We had to unequip the Skull Hairpin to wear the Sacred Leaf. There is not enough black at the bottom of the avatar and too much white around the neck area.
User Image

So.. we go back and tweak our outfit a touch. The Black Class Sock item is added to bring black to the bottom. We take off the White Bowtie and add a Black Tie to bring black to the neck. Emo Glasses were added because the face looked plain.
User Image
Total Value: 20,399 Gold
[Item Information]

Item List:
Fitted White Shorts - grey trim
Those Black 90s Gloves
Dancer Cuffs
White Beret
Black Leather Belt
Black Class Sock
Emo Glasses
Fat Lace Sneakers Fuzzy Green
Green Jersy Shirt
Sacred Leaf
Black Tie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:49 pm
Example Avatars

Just as the title says, this post will house some examples of avatars. Examples will be given for both what not to do and what to do.

First Avatars

Many people run around in peasant clothes, starter sets and snug sets when they first join the site. Those are all great items. But if you save up just a touch of gold as you explore the site, you can add to those items and make great avatars. Surf the shops and the market to see what items exist. Check out what items other users are wearing.
User Image User Image
While these avatars are fine for your first couple days, why not start getting creative and make cool outfits of your own? =]

For this avatar, we worked with the Warm Starter Polo. We added items that were close to the same color maroon of the shirt. Blue and orange items were added in order to balance her orange hair and blue eyes. Our big splurge for this outfit was the Blue Forbidden Skirt. At 2200g, it's almost half the cost of the whole outfit. The bright side about this is that it is a store item and the price will never get any higher, so you can take your time gathering the gold you need. You can also buy it cheaper in the marketplace if someone puts it up for sale for less than store price. Be careful, many people will try to sell items for higher than the store price. Always check the store price before you buy a store item in the marketplace.
User Image
Total Value: 4,752 Gold
[Item Information]

Item List:
Blue Forbidden Skirt
Buttoned Down Foliage Pants
Blue Paper Cat Band
Red Paper Crown
Crimson Mink Shoes
Warm Starter Polo
Daisy's Warm Gloves
Thick Blue Winter Socks

This avatar was modelled around her purple hair and blue eyes. :]
To spiff up the avatar even more, some gold accent items could be thrown in. Check the gold item group in the above post for some ideas on what items would be good. :]

User Image
Total Value: 2,058 Gold
[Item Information]

Item List:
Icy Snug Balloon Skirt
Violet Tied Top
Flashion Purple Star Stockings
Cool Sporty Starter Sneakers
Blue Checker Cap
Elegant Blue Gloves
White Medical Gloves

This avatar could also be spiffed up a touch, but it would make it much more expensive. It still wouldn't be outrageous though. The Midori Cache Shades would work well with these items. So does the Dont Ask Dont Tell Olive Shirt. Try it out for yourself. =]
User Image
Total Value: 747 Gold
[Item Information]

Item List:
Neutral Starter Khaki Shorts
Pale Green Rough Walking Shoe
Long White Socks
Castaway White Shirt

[Space]

Here's a simple avatar for all you red/black/white fans out there. Our splurge here was the Red Leather Belt at 1675g. It's a very useful item to have to be able to add to any other outfit you make.
User Image
Total Value: 4,185 Gold
[Item Information]

Item List:
Red Class Sock
Radicool Blackout Trim Shorts
Red Trim Work Shirt
Red Ceramic Mug
Stethoscope
White Wool Top
Cloud Zebra Hat
Red Leather Belt

Inspiration

Pick a favorite or interesting item and work around it.
Pick a monthly collectible item and work around it.
Work off of your favorite colors.
Match the eye color and hair color you already have.

Budget Avatars

Not all avatars have to include donation items to look good. Nor do they have to include expensive items to look good. I won't include any donation items in these examples. While they may be on the cheap side at the moment, they won't always be. XD Store items stay the same price. You can find deals on items in the marketplace, but be sure to check that you're not paying more for a store item than you would if you bought it from the store.

User Image

Item List:
Black Leather Belt
Blue Leather Native Pants
Blue Winter Wrap
Blue Wrinkled Vest
Classic Partition Top
Cloud Zebra Shoes
Magician's Wand
Pirate Patch
SuperStar Blue Tint Shades
Those Black 90s Gloves
Estimated Total: 13,506 Gold

[Space]

User Image
Total Value: 5,346 Gold
[Item Information]

Item List:
Anti-Fashion Pink Anti-Accessory
Pink Ribbon Skirt
White Mid Sock
Lilac Vintage Closed-Toe Mid Heel
White Ruffled Top
Lex's White Gloves
#FFFFFF Complex Band

User ImageOur hat takes up almost half the price at 1950g. The Green-Blue Winter Beanie can be substituted here for a Blue Paper Crown and a Drop Dead Gorgeous Skull Hairpin.

Total Value: 4,450 Gold
[Item Information]
Item List:
Green Checker Pants
Green Jersy Shirt
Blue Longjohns
Icy Snug Balloon Skirt
Blue Phat Sneakers
Green-Blue Winter Beanie
White Medical Gloves

User Image
Total Value: 4,534 Gold
[Item Information]

Item List:
Green Trim Work Shirt
Green Longjohns
Green Flame Shoes
Short White Socks
Charcoal Ribbed Pants
Grey Beret
Drop Dead Gorgeous Skull Hairpin

Matching

Pick a color scheme. Use two to three colors. I've even seen avatars using five colors that looked really good. Use items that are the same shade. Don't use different variations of the same color.

User Image As you can see, this avatar follows the rule of color balance, but doesn't follow the matching rule. The shades of the colors are off. The avatar is interesting, but lacking at the same time.
[Space]

User Image As you can see, each color in this avatar is very close to being the same shade. The avatar could use a touch more black around the head. :]
[Space]

Total Value: 21,756 Gold
[Item Information]

Item List:
Blue Leather Native Pants
Fairy Wand
Black Leather Belt
Cloud Zebra Shoes
Blue Winter Wrap
Blue Wrinkled Vest
Decorative Daisy
Egyptian Gold Armlet
Gold Pocket Watch
Pirate Patch
SuperStar Blue Tint Shades
Those Black 90s Gloves
Classic Partition Top

For making avatars with three colors, you can pick two colors and then balance them with a white or a black. White and black accessories are easy to find.

User Image The blue and purple items in this avatar were balanced with black items. The purple items aren't exactly the same shade and the pants are a little too light blue. I hesitate to use this avatar as an example, but I think the overall avatar is very cute. ;3
[Space]

Total Value: 23,549 Gold
[Item Information]

Item List:
Black Leather Belt
Black Tie
Royale Purple Pimpin' Cane
Lex's Dark Gloves
Crinkle Drawstring Top Pansy
Flashion Purple Shoes
Dark Slate Gunner Hat
Acid Wash MehTRO Jeans
Colonial Stockings
SuperStar Purple Skirt
Pop Top Orchid Coat
Platinum Record Earrings

User Image In this avatar, pink and red items were balanced by white items. The red leather belt would equip over the skirt. The labu necklace from the 2007 Valentine's Day event would look very nice with this avatar.
[Space]

Total Value: 21,616 Gold
[Item Information]

Item List:
Pink Ribbon Skirt
Thick Pink Winter Socks
Red Phat Platform Sneakers
Elegant Snowy Leggings
Crimson Red Pimpin' Cane
Clot Glamrock Headband
White Wool Top
Red Leather Belt
Doll Ears
Flashy Summer Top
Red Tie
Roco Rochel Costume Bracelet

If you want to play with what colors to use, here's a suggestion. I often find that the combination is more eye catching when two of the colors sit next to each other on the color wheel. Then~ make the third color one of the opposing colors of the two you already picked. I'll... give some examples. XD;

I apologize. These are the best avatars I could find at the moment to show examples of what I mean. They aren't the greatest, but notice the combination of colors. Most of the colors sit near each other on the color wheel, and then one color is the oppsite of one of the previous colors. White and black are often used as accent colors. Eh, all I'm trying to say is that they're eye-catching. x.x ...I'm sorry that all of these examples include gold items. ^^;; I'm also fond of accenting with gold. XD;;
User Image User Image User Image User Image

Color Balance

Now that you have a color scheme, spread that color evenly around the avatar. This goes along with the layering section, but take advantage of the different item slots. It'll let you equip more items to spread the color around. The avatar doesn't flow if a whole chunk of color is missing from some area on the avatar.

User Image While the green catches your eye... it draws your eye to the bottom half of the avatar. The avatar looks unbalanced.
[Space]

User Image In this avatar, the green and black items are spread around evenly.
[Space]

Total Value: 6,952 Gold
[Item Information]

Item List:
Fat Lace Sneakers Fuzzy Green
Green Hibiscus Pajama Shirt
Neutral Punk Starter Pants
Those Black 90s Gloves
Black Tie
Sacred Leaf

Also, don't use an item if it throws an extra color into the mix. Only use it if you plan on matching that extra color, if not, that one color will draw all of the attention and not your avatar as a whole.

In the first avatar, the cyan stripe in the skirt draws in the eye. The second avatar spread out the cyan color and is more evenly balanced to the eye.

User Image User Image

Item List:
#FFFFFF Complex Shirt
Canary Yellow Pimpin' Hat
Daisy's Sunny Gloves
Flashion Yellow Skirt
Kill Lanzer Sneakers
Marine Neck Ribbon
Outlaw Biker Pants - Ashe

Estimated Total: 29,995 Gold

Overall Flow

This is a hard category to work with. Often times the items that will make your avatar match will throw off the flow of the avatar. The avatar can become to top heavy with items, or even too bottom heavy. At the same time, you don't want the avatar to look like a stick all the way up. The best way to deal with this is to learn about what types of items are out there and try to balance a large head with large feet. It sounds funny, but work out better in the end. =]

User Image This avatar is top heavy. It gives the impression that it's going to tip forward at any second.
[Space]

User Image The lolita hair is notorious for making avatars top heavy. Here, the avatar is balanced by tundra boots. The cane also aids in this visual balance. Notice that the Ska Prism Belt was used with this avatar. We don't want the bright red top of the belt showing, so it was hidden under the vest.
[Space]

Total Value: 30,100 Gold
[Item Information]

Item List:
G-LOL Bruise Mistress Stockings
Green Goth Skirt
Purple Pinstripe Vest
Purple GetaGRIP Gloves
Platinum Record Earrings
Lichen Tundra Boots
Green Tartan
Yellow Torque Shades
Gold Pocket Watch
Gold Locket
Mid day Yellow Wrap
Dark Slate Gunner Hat
Fairy Wand
Blue Longjohns
Elegant Blue Gloves
Ska Prism Belt

Originality

Don't use sets of items. Two sets that are overdone are the g-lol and pimpin' sets. It just looks like you have no creativity and can't think for yourself. Anyone can put a set of items together and everyone has seen that set of items together. Boring. Use items from different sets and show off your creativity. =]

User ImageUser Image These avatars consist mostly of items from sets. These avatars are actually typical of many avatars that are seen around the site.
Please take a look at the avatars I've made throughout this thread. I use items that come from different sets. =]

[Space]

The most eye-catching avatars are those that are original. If it's been seen a hundred times before, people will just skim over it. Red and black is a common theme around the site. A red and black avatar can still look spiffy without being hackneyed.

User ImageThis avatar is a common sight around Gaia.
[Space]

User ImageMany Gaians wear red and black. The problem is, they tend to wear the same black and red items. Common red and black items can still be combined in a way that looks good.
[Space]

Total Value: 17,954 Gold
[Item Information]

Item List:
KoNfuZeD ReD SHoEz
Asphalt Plaid Ska Pants
That 70s Red Shirt
White Leather Belt
Coal Gunner Hat
Those Black 90s Gloves
Crimson Red Pimpin' Cane
Buck Teeth
Romani Glasses

[Space]

Layering Vs Clutter

Many dream avatars are a blob of angelic or demonic avatars. Yes, expensive DIs often get you noticed. Giant blobs don't. xD If you're set on including expensive MCs, pick one or two and highlight them in the avatar so that they stand out. Or pick on or two and place them on as a subtle hint of class. Giant blobs of MCs label you as a show off. Giant blobs of MCs released within the past couple years make people chuckle because you're trying hard to be a show off. Just don't do it. XD
By all means, be proud of your items. But do them justice by showcasing them in an eye-catching outfit.

User Image User Image User Image The first two avatars are common "dream avatars" found in signatures around the site. Not only are they nearly impossible to complete, they just look like blobs of items.
The third avatar is a common avatar around the site. Many people spend all their time saving up for MCs and can't spare the gold to buy store items. I'm all for saving up for MCs first because they inflate. However, avatars don't look good with a bunch of random donation and event items built upon random clothing items.

Space

User Image User Image User Image While these avatars are very close to being cluttered, I believe they have more flare than their blobby counterparts above.
The first female avatar is built around angelic items, while the male avatar has used the MCs more like accessories. The third avatar was built around the Celestial Wrap.

[Space]

As I mentioned before, take advantage of the different item slots. Wear multiple head items. Wear accessories. Wear socks and shoes. This way you can play with your chosen colors. But watch out, do not add to much items or it just ends up looking cluttered and the flow of your avatar will be lost.

User Image User Image These avatars haven't taken advantage of the different item slots. Neither of them have enough items on. The first one is top heavy and cluttered... but still lacking items in the lower half of the avatar. The second avatar has potential, but more items should be used because the avatar is rather bare.
[Space]

User Image User Image These two avatars have too many items equipped in a sporadic way. There's no focal point.
[Space]

The following avatars take advantage of item slots. Each avatar has items equipped in many different slots, but they aren't unbalanced.

User Image Total Value: 29,193 Gold, 20,000 Tickets
[Item Information]

Item List:
Green Paper Crown
Knot Green Top
Thick Green Winter Socks
Fancy Gloves
Flashy Cut Off Shorts
Fancy Pink Ribbon
Elegant Snowy Leggings
Fancy Slippers
White Medical Gloves
Gold Pocket Watch
Gold Hoop Earrings
Decorative Daisy
Parisian Yellow Fan
Monocle
Midori Cache Shades
Elegant Snowy Cravat
[Space]

User Image Total Value: 22,950 Gold
[Item Information]

Item List:
#E8E629 Complex Band
Golden Gloves
Parrot's Beak
Decorative Daisy
White Medical Gloves
Leopard Print Hoochie Top
Inverse Yellow Pants
Black Class Sock
Black Leather Belt
Emo Glasses
Sacred Leaf
Jadeleaf Dragon Slippers
Green Checker Skirt
Green PomPom Scarf
Neck Ruffle
Drop Dead Gorgeous Stone Skull Earrings

[Space]

User Image Total Value: 27,213 Gold, 3,500 Tickets
[Item Information]

Item List:
Elegant Brown Knee-Length Trousers
Tan Rough Walking Shoe
Long White Socks
Dont ask Dont tell Brown Shirt
White Wool Top
White Leather Belt
.-_.- Glasses
Dairy Worker Cap
Buck Teeth

[Space]

User Image
Total Value: 9,031 Gold
[Item Information]

Item List:
White Punk Band
Doctors Parabolic Reflector
White Wool Top
Blue Paper Crown
Icy Snug Balloon Skirt
Blue Flame Shoes
Inverse Yellow Pants
Guys Flashion Yellow Top
Black Class Sock
Black GetaGRIP Top
Bompin' Blue Head Gear
REBEL YELLO! Bottled Cooler

sdrawkcab

Vice Captain

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

sdrawkcab

Vice Captain

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:32 pm

This section arose one day after being a frustrated AvA voter. ^^;;;
These are just some general observations that I've made. This is here to help you not waste gold and shoot for placing in the arena. I'm in no way an expert on the Avatar Arena. It's still helpful to keep these things in mind when entering. =]

Description
  • Always have a description. Do not leave that box blank.
  • Proof read your description. Don't use chat speak or internet shorthand unless it goes along with your theme. Many users don't catch the satire of speaking this way on purpose, so be careful.
  • Voters usually like to see stories written about the avatar. Try to keep the story moderately short. Voters don't want to spend all their time reading a looong story. They want to move on to the next entry.
  • If a reference picture is necessary, add it in this box or as your first comment. If you're cosplaying, reference pictures are usually needed. Not everyone will know the character, no matter how popular you think the character may be. Plus, you want to show off just how close your cosplay is to the real deal.

The biggext qualities are originality and theme
  • The themes can be pretty much summed up as follows:

• Cosplaying - Dressing your avatar up like a character from an anime, manga, TV show, movie, video game, etc. Be sure to provide a reference picture.
    • Matching Avatar - Making an eye-catching color-coordinated avatar.
    • 'Character' Avatar - Making an avatar that goes along with an original story.
    • Inanimate Object - Using your items in such a way as to make your avatar's shape unrecognizable and look like some other object. These go over very well if it's something people haven't seen before.
    • Backwards Avatar - Turning your avatar around as using items in such a way as to make it look like an animal is doing something cute. These avatars are becoming overdone. Don't do it unless you're sure you have something original.

• The following avatars usually don't go over very well:

• Overdone cosplays - Cosplays of characters that are seen all the time in the arena. Don't cosplay Naruto, Dante, Vash the Stampede, Super Saiyans... They are way overdone. Unless you have something totally new that will blow them away, don't enter it.
    • Warrior Avatars - These come in both the light and dark variety. They are very popular theme in the arena. These avatars usually look very cluttered. If done well, they can gain high votes.
    • Cluttered Avatars - Piling as many items as you can onto your avatar. This one can go either way. Some users love them and some users hate them.
    • 'Oldbie' - Wearing 03 items can go either way. Voters might down vote out of jealousy or vote higher because they're star struck.
    • Realistic - Dressing up like 'you' would in everyday dress. These avatars are usually hum drum no matter what kind of style you have in real life. They usually do not score very high.
    • Black or Red/Black Avatars - Unless you have paired items in a unique way, these avatars are seen all over the site and do not gain any marks for originality.
    • Donation Whore - Dressing your avatar up in all monthly collectibles and other rare items. These avatars often don't look very good. Voters also see this as showing off and you're automatically downvoted. Wearing an expensive donation item can often get you down voted out of jealousy, no matter how well the item fits your avatar.
    • Sexy Nurse - Dressing up as a 'sexy nurse.' This one gets its own category because they are seen in the AvA way too often. The users either use the whole nurse/medical set or leave out some items to make the avatar more bare and 'sexier.' There's no originality in putting together a set, and having half naked avatars isn't sexy. They're pixels.
    • Sets - Do not enter the arena wearing a whole item set. This does not show any creativity or originality because anyone can put together a set. Also, be careful about using more than one item from the same set. You can sometimes get away with two as long as the two items don't overpower the avatar.
    • Newbie - Entering the arena with a very basic avatar. These avatars often consist of five items or less and don't have any theme besides wearing all of the items you own. You may be new (or not) and like your avatar very much, but that doesn't mean it'll win the arena. If you like your avatar, you've already won. ;] Save the 1k for something else.
    • N00b - Wearing n00b items. Certain items have a n00by connotation and people are often down voted for wearing them. These include items from the peasant, flame, and starter sets. Sometimes, even using one of these items in an original way can get you down voted.
    • The 'Cute' Avatar - Usually a female avatar wearing less than six items. These items include a dress, a mimzy and some other girly item of some sort. Often holding a bouquet of flowers. These avatars are trying to look like a cute little girl hugging her mimzy. They are not original and often look like they were slapped toegther at the last moment.

Item Connotation:
The following is a list of things to keep in mind when choosing items for your avatar. It's not a complete list, but it'll do. :]
  • cig/buck teeth/clown nose/the mistake - No matter how well these items fit your avatar, many people will give low votes because they don't like these items in general. The cig often gets low votes for advertising smoking.
  • Expensive Monthly Collectibles - These items either gain points or lose points depending on a voter's personal feelings towards the item. No matter how well the item matches or fits your theme, you could be downvoted for 'showing off.' On the other hand, a stray MC that does not match or fit your theme could gain you points because the voter likes that item.
  • Newbie/N00b Items - You can either get big points for using these items in an interesting way, or lose points for using them at all. Examples include peasant clothes, starter set and the flame set.
  • Some people are sticklers for using the item for what its intended for. For example, the magician's wand is a great item. It's a rather inexpensive handheld that aids in adding black and white to wherever you need it. It can polish off an outfit. You can even pretend that it's something other than a magicians wand. But some Gaians believe that you should only hold the wand if you are dressing up as a magician and will give you lower points for adding an item that doesn't fit your avatar.

Remember
  • If you just want to see other peoples' opinions on your avatar, make a thread in the Chatter Box or the Avatar Talk forum. Users will rate and give suggestions for free. There's no use paying 1000g.
  • Making a thread in the CB or AT is a good thing to do first. You can generally see what people think of your avatar and if you need to tweak anything. But remember, if your idea is very original, don't show it for risk of someone else copying your idea before you get the chance to enter the arena. Also, by default, AT rates according to their preferences. If you're going for a cetain theme, let them know before you ask for a rate.
  • Be sure to have a description.
  • Unless you have something that'll blow their socks off, the voters have seen it all.
  • Don't enter the arena if you know your avatar is not complete yet. The voters can see that too. Use the 1k t'wards your avatar.
  • Don't say that it is your first time and expect the voters to go easy on you... It's no excuse for a poor avatar. It doesn't get you sympathy. Many first-time entries have placed.
  • Don't add on items like a kiki, yeti and/or mimzy just because you like them. Also, it goes over better if you refer to the mimzy as a stuffed animal bunny. Calling it a mimzy usually doesn't fit along with your story.
  • Advertise, advertise, advertise! Show in your sig that you're in the arena. Maybe even post it in a bump thread. The more people you can get to vote for you, the better. Making an eye-catching picture for your sig often attracts more people to vote.
  • Have fun. =]

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:15 pm

Extra Avatars

This post will house avatars that were made for this thread, but didn't make it into the final cut. Feel free to use them. :]

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Total Value: 86,473 Gold
[Item Information]

Item List:
Elegant Red Satin Corset
Pink Ribbon Skirt
Rouge Hot Pants
Thick Pink Winter Socks
Clot Glamrock Headband
White Wool Top
Gold Pocket Watch
Decorative Daisy
Monocle
Elven Ears
Crimson Red Pimpin' Cane
Labu Necklace
White Leather Belt
Ballet Toe Shoes
Gift of the Goddess

Total Value: 27,979 Gold
[Item Information]

Item List:
Purple Pinstripe Vest
White Wool Top
Elegant Snowy Cravat
Blue Torque Shades
Dark Slate Gunner Hat
Blue Forbidden Skirt
White Leather Belt
Blue Grecian Sandals
White Neon Hoochie Pants

Total Value: 27,758 Gold
[Item Information]

Item List:
Daisy's Breeze Dress
Purple Pinstripe Vest
White Wool Top
Elegant Snowy Leggings
Elegant Snowy Cravat
Blue Torque Shades
Dark Slate Gunner Hat
Flashion Purple Shoes

Total Value: 33,749 Gold
[Item Information]

Item List:
Elegant Feathered Mask (Lavender Pinions)
Light Violet Scarf
Light Purple Leg Warmers
Purple Pinstripe Vest
White Glamrock Jean Skirt
Black Leather Belt
#FFFFFF Complex Shirt
Blacklight Gloves
Basic Black One Piece Swimsuit
Zorro Mask

sdrawkcab

Vice Captain

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

sdrawkcab

Vice Captain

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:17 pm
Reserved~  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:16 pm

Reserved. :]  

sdrawkcab

Vice Captain

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

Rob the Crowing

Profitable Sex Symbol

9,275 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:51 am

*claps* looks like you put a lot of work into this!
Im gonna go work on my avatar.
You should post this somewhere in the forums!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:20 pm
TokyoSamurai94

*claps* looks like you put a lot of work into this!
Im gonna go work on my avatar.
You should post this somewhere in the forums!
^^ I did put a lot of work into it.
Well. >3 This is the rough draft that I... couldn't bear to delete so I moved it into this forum.
I reposted it as a sticky in the avatar subforum. :} I then posted it in the guides forum of Gaia. This was meant to be a mini guide for the guild, but it ended up bigger than I thought it would be...

sdrawkcab

Vice Captain

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

purpletatu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:59 am
wow. that all got me confused!! eek  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:37 pm
purpletatu
wow. that all got me confused!! eek
so what was the piont of all this??  

purpletatu

I3ENCE

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:07 pm
I used these tips to make my dream avatar. Thanks alot!!  
Forum of Spam

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games