Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Gender-Neutral Pronouns Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Astral Sun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:31 pm
I wish the English language could have a gender-neutral pronoun that applies to humans. "He or she", "his or her", etc. all sound awkward, and a lot of people resort to saying "them" in reference to one person, which bugs me.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:36 pm
Yeah, let's make up a new word. I propose "phe". Or we could use "it".  

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200

ChibiStarlet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:32 pm
Good point. Pretty much all of the ways to make pronouns PC annoy me. One, s/he, plurals, the whole deal... The one that irks me the most is when people try to use both pronouns within the same paragraph to express that it could be either pronoun. Like, "If a student forgets his homework, he gets a zero for the day. If she were to remember it the next day, she would get half credit." I have seen this in legitimate, academic writing, and it seems so *wrong.*

Any other [least] favorites out there?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:43 pm
I say we should change "seventeen" into "sawanteen". Huh? What do you say ?! scream  

D a n g i o

[Joan De Arc]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:23 pm
Learn Spanish.
They truly do use "it" a lot.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:57 am
Well, Spanish is not so easy when it come to nouns and pronouns. You’d be surprised.
(Yeah, Spanish is my mother language).  

ramforce

LexiHulan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:23 am
Good point, you see, in Spanish (YES I'M SPANISH! stressed ), we have terrible grammar if you translate it in the English language, but the English sound much more proper because of the 'He' or the 'She' and it's because of that, that we are envied.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:09 am
Yeah, it would be quite useful if there were a gender neutral noun in the English language. In Hungarian, when you talk about a person, you don't say he/his/him or she/hers/her, since it's all gender neutral. And because of that, my mom and relatives get he/his/him and she/hers/her accidentally mixed up in their speech so often. I'm the only one in my family who can speak English perfectly and without an accent since I were the first in my family to be born here.

l3viathan

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:00 am
Trying to make things PC really bugs me, so I just make everything plural when I can. "When students forget their homework..." People are so touchy any more. stare  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:33 pm
Blagh. The English language can be a pain sometimes that way... French isn't much better.

Daaah. If we introduced a new pronoun, no one would remember it. Like -Swamp Sparrow-, I tend to pluralize things too.

wahmbulance Why must pronouns be my worst french grammar point? I suck at them! wahmbulance  

SilverBellsAbove

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:48 am
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this into your signature.

I agree. We absolutely need a gender non-specific pronoun. I think we should coin a word for use here in the guild.

If anyone can come up with something, nominate it!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:04 am
Yami no Hitokiri
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this into your signature.

I agree. We absolutely need a gender non-specific pronoun. I think we should coin a word for use here in the guild.

If anyone can come up with something, nominate it!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Like I said above : "phe". You still have "he" that is common to the masculine and the feminine pronouns, but it has it's own sound.  

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200

applecyder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:02 am
A(n odious) high school English teacher told my class that the gender neutral pronoun was 'ter.' I have no idea if he was telling the truth or being a smartass as usual.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:19 pm
applecyder
A(n odious) high school English teacher told my class that the gender neutral pronoun was 'ter.' I have no idea if he was telling the truth or being a smartass as usual.

Well they may have though so, but I've never heard it anywhere else before.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with just using 'they' for gender neutral. And since it's already taking over this function, we don't have to work really hard to change something.  

Amphion

Miradora

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:14 am
The only problem with they as a gender-neutral pronoun is that it already has a plural meaning and I'm hoping for one that is specifically singular. For lack on any other alternative, when they doesn't sound right, I'm guilty of using s/he because I think it interrupts the flow of the writing the least. As I recollect from when I studied German seit funf und zwanzig yahre (apologies if that is only marginally correct) that language uses "man" translated as "one" for a gender-neutral singular pronoun. One can do that in English but it sounds ridiculously pedantic. This was the first time I've seen "phe". I like it! I vote for "phe."  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff