Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Felted Projects

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:37 am
Here are a few finished felted projects; I also listed the yarn and what generally happens when you felt it in case anyone wants to use the same yarn.

I have a few more samples... I just need to clean my house and find them redface

~*~*~*~

The Alpaca Hat (this is the one from the Musings thread smile )
Made with: Classic Elite Inca Alpaca
Pattern: it's my own pattern design (if you can call a hat this basic a design) if you like the hat, I'd be happy to post the simple instructions.
Felting: It felted amazingly. Aplaca is a hollow fiber and it felts like there is no tomorrow. The stitches completely felted into a beautifu7l soft nubby fabric.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The Stripey Hat
Made With: Noro Kureyon
Felting: It took two trips through the washing machine before I could get it solid enough (I wanted to lose most of the stitch definition) and it formed a solid fabric. Not as lovely as the Classic Elite, but it is a nice effect. Funny enough it took more Noro than it did alpaca to make the hat; I think it was a gauge thing as the hat ended up bigger as well though it was the same pattern so beware that Kureyon knits up pretty big.

The Scots Bonnet
Made with: Lite Lopi
Felting: Interesting rough texture, still have some stitch definition. This makes a solid somewhat fuzzy fabric that is strong and WARM. If you make a hat from it I suggest sewing a hatband into the brim as it is also pretty scratchy, but it will protect you from subzero temperatures.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:45 pm
Those are all so cute!!

I'm a sucker for self striping stuff, so it's a given that I love the Noro, it looks so nice felted like that.

The felting on the Alpaca Hat is awesome, I'd love some instructions! ^^ It's good yarn to felt, obviously, the fabric turned out very nice.

And also yum to the Lite Lopi, the slight stitch definition is love.  

faeriebell

Eloquent Conversationalist

15,975 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:32 am
Thanks! smile

I have a new one on the needles, this one is Classic Elite Inca Marl (cool yarn... it's like the basic Alpaca from C.E. but instead of 4 plies being spun all the same color, it has every ply spun in a different color. It's really cool.) And I'm trying to take pictures of it as I go so I can make a pattern guide for making the hats.

The best part is the felting.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:26 am
Updates!

I ound the last hat; and though I seem to be picture girl today I forgot to get that one; I'll update the felt list later when I have 2 new hats. (One is in Classic Elite Inca Marl; the other is in Alcama which is just plain yummy)

I'm working on the pattern for the alpaca beret; it's off the needles but needs a felt. Right now it's rather... floppy...

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

faeriebell

15,975 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:54 am
I just got some red yarns that are perfect felting candidates. If you have time for some simple instructions, I'm totally game for them smile  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:07 pm
Here are the basic instructions. Pics coming as soon as I remember to grab my camera from work >.<

Felted Alpaca Dinnerplate Beret
Size: One size (to fit an average woman’s head; but see gauge notes)

Skill level: Easy

Materials:
~About 100g (2 hanks) of Alpaca yarn (wool can be used but may not felt down as tightly)

~Size 7 circular needles (16” long); and/or 1 set of 4 or 5 size 7 DPNs [OR SIZE NEEDED FOR GAUGE] (I prefer knitting on circular needles for as long as possible; though it is certainly possible to knit the entire hat with DPNs. Because it decreases to only 8 stitches you need to use DPNs for the smallest rounds.)

~8 markers; 1 must be different from the other 7

~Yarn needle

~11 inch diameter dinnerplate (preferably plastic)

~Size “H” crochet hook (for optional loop top)

Gauge: 5 stitches stockinette = 1" [US size 7]
As this hat will be felted very thoroughly, gauge is not extremely crucial; however when I used size 8 needles I get a hat that more comfortably fits a larger head (man’s). However increasing the needle size brings me dangerously close to running out of yarn in the final few rounds; and once I had to bind off a round or two early.

~*~*~*~

Hints for yarn substitution: Alpaca is a fiber with a hollow core and because of this this it felts marvelously well; wool doesn't always felt down as drastically. It still makes a very wearable beret, but it's larger and floppier. If you like the tighter circular look, do not increase all the way to 25 stitches per section; stop at 20-24 stitches per section. Wool may also require more yarn to create the hat if you go all the way to 200 stitches.

~*~*~*~

1. Cast 112 stitches on the circular needles using the long tail cast on. Place the different colored marker at the join.

2. Work 4 rounds of K2, P2 ribbing
3. Work 1 round of purl
4. Work 4 rounds of P2, K2 ribbing (The purls should line up where the knits are beneath them, the purl where the knits are)

5. Work 1 round of knit, placing a marker every 14 stitches, which should give you 8 sections.

6. Knit next round, increasing 1 stitch in every section (to make 120 stitches, 15 stitches in every section). In order to avoid a noticeable spiral around the hat; work the increases and decreases randomly from row to row and not always in the same place.

7. Knit next round evenly next row even

8. Repeat steps 6 and 7, increasing by 8 stitches (one stitch in every section) until you have 25 stitches in each section (200 stitches total)

9. Knit one row evenly

10. Knit next round, decreasing 1 stitch in every section to make 24 stitch in each (192 stitches total)

11. Repeat steps 9 and 10 until you have decreased all the way down to 1 stitch per section (8 stitches total). Switch to DPNs when the work gets too small to handle on circulars (usually between 8-10 stitches per section)

12. Break the yarn without binding off the last 8 stitches; leaving an 8” tail (leave a 16” tail if you want a little ‘loop’ at the top of your beret for decoration) Thread a yarn needle with the tail and pull the tail through all 8 loops. Pull the tail tight, and the little hole should close up neatly. If you want a loop top, go to step 13; otherwise tie off the yarn and weave in the end and skip to step 14.

13. To create a loop at the top, bring the tail up to the outside of the hat and create a small slipknot in the tail as close to the top of the hat as you can. Chain 12, and slip stitch the end of the chain to the first stitch (or to the top of the hat) to create a loop. Tie off yarn tail and weave in yarn ends.

14. Thread the yarn needle with a length of yarn. Fold the bottom ribbed brim together at the line of purls. (It should flip easily to the inside of the hat, creating a double-thick band. Because you mirrored the ribbing, the knits and purls should line up on the inside and the outside…clever, huh? J ) Sew the band in place using a running stitch; pull the fabric every 4-6 stitches to make sure it stays stretchy. Tie off and weave in yarn ends.

15. Fill your washing machine with a ½ load of cotton laundry (towels, jeans and/or t-shirts work well. You need the extra stuff in there to increase the agitation). Set the machine to heavy soil (don’t use the delicate cycle!), the water level between medium and high; and the water temperature to HOT. Put in a ¼ to a ½ measure full of laundry soap. (To protect the hat, use soap without bleach or additives. Ivory flakes are the best if you can find them). Throw your hat in there with the laundry and let ‘er rip.

16. Check the hat ½ way through the wash; and again at ¾ of the way. Alpaca can felt very quickly. The goal is to felt it all the way down until the stitches disappear into fabric. If in doubt, put it back in. Stop if the hat shrinks so small that it won’t ever fit around your head.

17. Take the hat out. When first out of the wash it will looks like a wrinkled, tiny, matted mess. Don’t worry. Grab your dinnerplate!

18. Stretch your hat over the dinnerplate, and adjust so you get one flat round side, and so the head opening is centered on the other side. While it is still wet you can stretch the head hole larger or smaller and shape it with your fingers until it is the size and shape you want it to be.

19. Let your hat dry – it will take between 24-36 hours to get it completely dry. You can touch it and flip it over halfway through, but don’t be tempted to take it off of its plate too early! It has to completely dry in order to retain the nice shape you stretched it into.

20. When its dry, take the hat off the dinnerplate carefully, and viola! Hat!  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:17 pm
Thank you for describing the felting process. I've been mad curious about it for a spell now. xd Odd question- can one felt crochet?  
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:06 am
You sure can. It felts slightly differently because knitting is usually loser than crochet; crochet makes really nice thick, sturdy felted things.

I love using crochet done in worsted or bulky circles (spirals- like big coasters) that are felted to make chair seat pads.  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

faeriebell

15,975 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:13 pm
Thank you for posting the instructions, I have been totally away from knitting for a few weeks, so I'm just checking back. I go through phases, sometimes I'll be totally and utterly obsessed with knitting, other times I get busy doing other things and I don't pick up my needles for a few weeks. I want to make a hat though, fo sure. This pattern will be used, yes yes! ^^  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games