Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Color or Colour? Favorite or Favourite? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

100%
 100%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 25

Peevel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:16 pm
God, this has always bothered me, and finally, there are some people here who will know and won't be rude. xD
So please help me get this figured out!

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:12 pm
Actually, it's either. The u's are the british way of the spelling.  

Imaginary Tears

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
In Canada we learn to spell those the British way, i.e. with the 'u'. I spell them 'colour', 'favourite', 'centre'.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:42 pm
The use of colour versus color depends on where you live. Any words like these, where you can spell them two different ways, the difference is just between the British and Amercain spellings. If you live in any english colony: Canada, Australia or Great Britain itself, then you use the extra "u". If you live in the States then you leave the "u" out.

Other examples include neighbour/neighbor, favourite/favorite and a slightly different one: grey/gray.

Neither spelling is wrong, it just depends on where you live.  

GirlPuck

Dedicated Hoarder

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:57 am
GirlPuck
The use of colour versus color depends on where you live. Any words like these, where you can spell them two different ways, the difference is just between the British and Amercain spellings. If you live in any english colony: Canada, Australia or Great Britain itself, then you use the extra "u". If you live in the States then you leave the "u" out.

Other examples include neighbour/neighbor, favourite/favorite and a slightly different one: grey/gray.

Neither spelling is wrong, it just depends on where you live.

Exactly. I've been taught British spelling when I went to school so that's what I use.

I once had an art teacher who had to keep reminding the class that "colour" has a U in it, because in Microsoft Word the spell-checker is in US English by default, so it picks out "colour" as a misspelling. I also had a drama teacher who hated it when people wrote "theater" instead of "theatre". xd

By the way, notice the other thread titled "Gray or Grey"? It's almost on the same topic. Please at least look through the other threads that have had replies in the past week or so before making a new one.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:33 pm
I'm Canadian but there's some words that I just have to spell the American way. I write colour with a "u" but I write favorite without one. confused

It's also the same with "center". The British or Canadian way is suppose to be "centre".  

The Shoe Pile

BlueBlythe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:14 pm
Imaginary Tears
Actually, it's either. The u's are the british way of the spelling.

Really?!
I never knew that.  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:59 am
It is actually either.....British People spell it both ways and so do Americans.....another word is shop also spelled shoppe
aluminum aluminium  

saotomi5102

Hermonie Urameshi

Conservative Explorer

6,550 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:48 pm
There's more than that. xd Even though I'm American I tend to use the British spelling for some reason. There's also programme and program and more with u's like behaviour...I can't remember anymore, but they're all acceptable.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:07 pm
Since they're both in the dictionary, I have to say it doesn't matter.  

CCubed

Ilinca

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:54 pm
Languages are changing constantly. However, it was the British spellings that are the originals. Americans simply decided that it was not necessary to have the extra "u", etc.
The question is, is this a sign that the English language is deteriorating? Or is this change for the better?  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:46 pm
No, our language is deteriorating because we borrow words...believe that? We borrow words and usage rules. For instance, we borrowed Burrito from Spanish because we didn't want to make a name for a rice patty with beans. Not that I have one in mind at all. xd  

CCubed

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:05 am
In New Zealand, we use the British way, colour and favourite.  
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:10 pm
I'm in America, and I prefer using "color" and "favorite," but I prefer the British spelling of "grey." Spell checkers usually dislike the British spelling.  

s0prano42_x3

[Aelfwyn]

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:47 pm
If I am not mistaken, it was Noah Webster that changed these words into the so-called "American" spelling. Forgive me if I am wrong.
http://edweb.sdsu.edu/people/DKitchen/new_655/webster_language.htm  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces