Neopets? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Were you ever on Neopets?
  Yes, that's how I found out about Gaia.
  Yes, and I enjoyed it!
  Yes, and I was only there for the roleplays.
  Yes, but only because a younger sibling made me.
  No, I didn't like Neopets.
  No, I've never heard of Neopets.
  I'm still on Neopets!
View Results

EvFaerAshlynn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:10 pm
Yeah, yeah. It's one of the most un-gothic things you can imagine: Neopets. Most of the virtual critters on that site are cute and cuddly, the fodder of eight-year-old female dreams. However, given the proper treatments, some species could be painted black, changed into mutants, given Halloween costumes, or become ghosties or evil-looking denizens of that virtual community called Neopia. I was once I Neopian myself; in fact, if it weren't for Neopets I wouldn't be on Gaia; a few friends of mine from a Neopets guild told me, "YOU HAVE TO JOIN GAIA IT'S AWESOME," and so I did. Not once have I regretted that decision.

I was, in fact, going to submit a piece to the Neopian Times on being a Neopian goth. To this day, it is unfinished, but the part of it that I have saved on Notepad stands thus:

Quote:
"HOW TO BE A NEOPIAN GOTH - PART 1"

Remember that time your little sister followed you into Hot Topic, screaming, "BUT YOU NEVER GAVE ME MY BABY PAINT BRUSH!! YOU PROMISED ME LAST WEEK!" You weren't real happy with her when the cashier gave you that "you're such a poser" look, were you? Or how about the time your sister's pink Meerca keychain ended up on your backpack, and all your goth friends rolled their eyes at you and laughed. That was so embarrassing, wasn't it? Because Neopets is generally thought of as a "children's website," being a Neopian can sometimes take some points away from your goth credentials. But you CAN restore those lost credentials with my easy-to-use guide on being a Neopian Goth!

- Section 1: Your Username
If your account is not already well-established and you want to start a brand new Neopian life, you'll have to think about what your username should be. Of course, you want to make it look goth, but not overused. In fact, if you're planing to use "manson", "slipknot", "goth", or "666" in your username... Don't. It's overused and uber-stereotypical, and you might even be called the dreaded "p" word for it. *gaspshockdoom* Yes, that's right, it might make you seem like a... dare I say it?... a poser! Bah, who am I to use such cruel language! *rinses mouth with soap* And besides, a lot of bands that are considered goth bands might not be too kid-friendly, and we all know how many kids are on this site... If you want something that sounds goth just by saying it aloud or reading it, try something like "mortismorta" or "candleshadow". However, if you want something exotic and gothic, maybe you could be "poison_peach" or "snow_white_darkness". If being goth has given you a twisted sense of humour, try "blackenedfromage" or "doomstick_xx100". Whatever. Feel free to go kinda crazy with it.

- Section 2: Your User Lookup
First impressions are crucial to establishing yourself as... well, anything. What's one of the first things someone will look at when they check out your account? Your user lookup! Thus, it is important to make your user lookup reflect your gothness. If you're not into fancy-schmancy and overly gaudy HTML/CSS, you can simply install a black background and make the text color white or red, and that will do. However, if you would really like to show your gothic stuff, then you can grab a nifty background. A Neopian theme, like the Haunted Woods, Dark Faeries, or the Twisted Roses would be nice, but for those who'd like to venture outside of Neopia, the possibilities are not limited, not at all. Many sites with premade lookups include themes from Halloween to Nightmare Before Christmas to Buffy the Vampire Slayer to maybe even your favourite band or horror movie. Just make sure it's not gory. Many sites also carry song codes to stick in your user lookup. These range from your MIDI of "This Is Halloween" (from Nightmare Before Christmas, of course) to your favourite rock song, but with keyboard notes replacing the lyrics. So go ahead, make it hardcore! (Just please, watch the language/content of the song.) What's that you say? You want something more somber for your lookup? Oh, I see, it's because your pet bat died last week, isn't it? I'm terribly sorry to hear that. Perhaps a background of your dearly departed Wednesday's night sky and a mournful tune such as "My Immortal" by Evanescence would be for you, with a little tribute to your pet would be nice. Rest in peace, night-flyer. *tear*

- Section 3: Your Shop/Gallery
Another easy way to make Neopoints (besides the sometimes-challenging games) is selling your items in a shop. When creating or editing a shop, you need to keep a lot of things in mind. For instance, what will you call your shop? Where will it be located? How will you describe your shop? Will you put in a background? What shopkeeper will you choose? What will your shopkeeper's name be, and how will he/she/it greet the customers?
In answer to the first question, try choosing something that doesn't have "Death" or "Despair" in it, because that is sooo cliche. Try something kinda catchy like "Nightshop Number Nine" or "Bundles of Bats, Inc." Really, it's up to you. You're the one trying to prove your gothness here. And speaking of goth, most of us who live on the dark side like to be kinda spooky. Placing your shop or gallery in the Haunted Woods is certainly spooky, isn't it? Keeping things spooky, you can spiffy up your shop with a spooky background or blog. As for shopkeepers... if you really want the avatar, you can use the Gothic Usul avatar, but any Halloween, Ghost, or Darigan pet would work, as would a Dark Faerie. If you reeeeeally want to name it Dracula or Mr. Hot Topic, go ahead. Here's the one time I'll let you do something cliche. As for what to stock in your shop/gallery... That's pretty much up to you. If you want to keep berries and battle items in your gothic gallery, go ahead. It's not like you're obliged to keep 99 Headless Vonroo Plushies in there...

I'm actually quite proud of that article. 4laugh Unfortunately, I never got to the fun part: the pets!  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:56 pm
i loved neopets smile i should go back there..the games kick a** smile  

ketchakik

xxxdeletemexxx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:12 pm
Haha.. I totally rejoined Neopets. And formed the PuddingPie family of pets. XDD
Banana pudding pie makes me smile. Shut up. I like smiling. XDD  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:33 am
EvFaerAshlynn
Yeah, yeah. It's one of the most un-gothic things you can imagine: Neopets. Most of the virtual critters on that site are cute and cuddly, the fodder of eight-year-old female dreams. However, given the proper treatments, some species could be painted black, changed into mutants, given Halloween costumes, or become ghosties or evil-looking denizens of that virtual community called Neopia. I was once I Neopian myself; in fact, if it weren't for Neopets I wouldn't be on Gaia; a few friends of mine from a Neopets guild told me, "YOU HAVE TO JOIN GAIA IT'S AWESOME," and so I did. Not once have I regretted that decision.

I was, in fact, going to submit a piece to the Neopian Times on being a Neopian goth. To this day, it is unfinished, but the part of it that I have saved on Notepad stands thus:

Quote:
"HOW TO BE A NEOPIAN GOTH - PART 1"

Remember that time your little sister followed you into Hot Topic, screaming, "BUT YOU NEVER GAVE ME MY BABY PAINT BRUSH!! YOU PROMISED ME LAST WEEK!" You weren't real happy with her when the cashier gave you that "you're such a poser" look, were you? Or how about the time your sister's pink Meerca keychain ended up on your backpack, and all your goth friends rolled their eyes at you and laughed. That was so embarrassing, wasn't it? Because Neopets is generally thought of as a "children's website," being a Neopian can sometimes take some points away from your goth credentials. But you CAN restore those lost credentials with my easy-to-use guide on being a Neopian Goth!

- Section 1: Your Username
If your account is not already well-established and you want to start a brand new Neopian life, you'll have to think about what your username should be. Of course, you want to make it look goth, but not overused. In fact, if you're planing to use "manson", "slipknot", "goth", or "666" in your username... Don't. It's overused and uber-stereotypical, and you might even be called the dreaded "p" word for it. *gaspshockdoom* Yes, that's right, it might make you seem like a... dare I say it?... a poser! Bah, who am I to use such cruel language! *rinses mouth with soap* And besides, a lot of bands that are considered goth bands might not be too kid-friendly, and we all know how many kids are on this site... If you want something that sounds goth just by saying it aloud or reading it, try something like "mortismorta" or "candleshadow". However, if you want something exotic and gothic, maybe you could be "poison_peach" or "snow_white_darkness". If being goth has given you a twisted sense of humour, try "blackenedfromage" or "doomstick_xx100". Whatever. Feel free to go kinda crazy with it.

- Section 2: Your User Lookup
First impressions are crucial to establishing yourself as... well, anything. What's one of the first things someone will look at when they check out your account? Your user lookup! Thus, it is important to make your user lookup reflect your gothness. If you're not into fancy-schmancy and overly gaudy HTML/CSS, you can simply install a black background and make the text color white or red, and that will do. However, if you would really like to show your gothic stuff, then you can grab a nifty background. A Neopian theme, like the Haunted Woods, Dark Faeries, or the Twisted Roses would be nice, but for those who'd like to venture outside of Neopia, the possibilities are not limited, not at all. Many sites with premade lookups include themes from Halloween to Nightmare Before Christmas to Buffy the Vampire Slayer to maybe even your favourite band or horror movie. Just make sure it's not gory. Many sites also carry song codes to stick in your user lookup. These range from your MIDI of "This Is Halloween" (from Nightmare Before Christmas, of course) to your favourite rock song, but with keyboard notes replacing the lyrics. So go ahead, make it hardcore! (Just please, watch the language/content of the song.) What's that you say? You want something more somber for your lookup? Oh, I see, it's because your pet bat died last week, isn't it? I'm terribly sorry to hear that. Perhaps a background of your dearly departed Wednesday's night sky and a mournful tune such as "My Immortal" by Evanescence would be for you, with a little tribute to your pet would be nice. Rest in peace, night-flyer. *tear*

- Section 3: Your Shop/Gallery
Another easy way to make Neopoints (besides the sometimes-challenging games) is selling your items in a shop. When creating or editing a shop, you need to keep a lot of things in mind. For instance, what will you call your shop? Where will it be located? How will you describe your shop? Will you put in a background? What shopkeeper will you choose? What will your shopkeeper's name be, and how will he/she/it greet the customers?
In answer to the first question, try choosing something that doesn't have "Death" or "Despair" in it, because that is sooo cliche. Try something kinda catchy like "Nightshop Number Nine" or "Bundles of Bats, Inc." Really, it's up to you. You're the one trying to prove your gothness here. And speaking of goth, most of us who live on the dark side like to be kinda spooky. Placing your shop or gallery in the Haunted Woods is certainly spooky, isn't it? Keeping things spooky, you can spiffy up your shop with a spooky background or blog. As for shopkeepers... if you really want the avatar, you can use the Gothic Usul avatar, but any Halloween, Ghost, or Darigan pet would work, as would a Dark Faerie. If you reeeeeally want to name it Dracula or Mr. Hot Topic, go ahead. Here's the one time I'll let you do something cliche. As for what to stock in your shop/gallery... That's pretty much up to you. If you want to keep berries and battle items in your gothic gallery, go ahead. It's not like you're obliged to keep 99 Headless Vonroo Plushies in there...

I'm actually quite proud of that article. 4laugh Unfortunately, I never got to the fun part: the pets!

neopets are amazing  

Devils_lilboy

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:04 pm
I was on neopets for a while. Almost a year, I think. I enjoyed a lot of the games, but I wished you could do more with the items and I didn't like the way the pets would whine at you to buy them stuff. Bunch of spoilt brats, I tell you!

It just kept getting more and more commercial. About the time they started putting banners all over the pages, I drifted off Neopets and never really went back.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:06 pm
I do NeoPets. The games are the best way to waste time in lecture. But yeah I don't really care what the "status quo" is for Neopets, I enjoy it, and it's a great way to waste time. Matter of fact... I should go there now!  

DMSeraphim

MEOWITSTERRA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:04 pm
I never played on neopets. I played on Subeta :0  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:32 pm
neopets rock!i still play,but ive been drifting away from it(i have an urge to update my pets pages right now WHEEEEE! i know im wierd phycomaniac`,you dont have to remind me)

anyways,neopets is goth if you work on it,making your lookup and stuff better.  

Stargazer Dante

shoe_trophy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:37 pm
Are you seriously concerned with what people on Neopets see you as? Half those people are 10 and the other half are over thirty.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:03 pm
I had one of those for a while. It might still be in action now that I think of it.
*checks* Well, what do you know. I'm still a member! Wow, my animals are ********>  

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

[-Alluring Enchantress-]

3,900 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:58 pm
I have a account but i only went on there to talk to people, once i found out about gaia i pretty much quit it.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:21 pm
Haha, I haven't been there in about 2 years. I used to have so much fun on there, but then the games wouldn't work on our new internet, so my interests moved elsewhere.  

Katanas Blade

Katanas Blade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:25 pm
Candy Bomber
I never played on neopets. I played on Subeta :0
I tried joining subeta, but they never sent me an email with my confirmation code, so I couldn't log in.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:40 pm
Can't stand the site. It was nice at first, until they made it nigh impossible to talk about anything interesting.

So I got rid of all my pets(I was starting to feel bad about my dogs irl anyways. XD) and was without a site to go to for about 2 years, until I came across Gaia.

Been here since 2004, and loving it.  

2aetH

The Dadalorian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:46 pm
Raeth+exe
Can't stand the site. It was nice at first, until they made it nigh impossible to talk about anything interesting.

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff