Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
making blankets Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

hyper_azn_girl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:08 pm
For all of you knitters and crocheters in the guild, approximately how long does it take you to knit or crochet a blanket, and how big was your blanket?
I want to make one but I have 2 weeks to do it. Do you think it is possible?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:30 pm
I have wanted to make a blanket but im procrastinating it until the summer. I have made a baby blanket beforethough. judging from that experience I don't reccomend doing granny squares, they can take forever. It IS possible for you to do it in two weeks, especially if you have an easy, consistant pattern that uses a larger hook or needles (I reccomend crocheting though because it produces faster results than knitting). You'll also need lots of free time. wink  

ajazzydancer

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:32 pm
Something simple in a thick yarn on large hook/needles should work up quickly. It depends on how big you want to make it.

I did a queen sized "quilt" in blocks, crocheted, and it took a few months. But it is also very big. A throw would go much faster  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:34 pm
Three years and counting for me! Though, to be fair, it's been packed away for most of that time.  

Catcheen
Crew

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:57 pm
I haven't made a blanket yet because I'm scared of how much time it might take. I'd probably lose interest in it if it took too long and would never finish it. I keep thinking that I want to make a large blanket to cuddle up under while watching tv though because the spare blankets and throws we have now are either too bulky or too small, a happy medium would be nice.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:32 am
I made a baby blanket about 50"x50" which took me about six weeks, you should use double tread, thick wool and big kneedles and you should be able to get a good deal - if not all - of it done in that time smile  

heart_for_hatori

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:37 am
I crochet granny square lap robes for local nursing homes. Each one takes about 36 hours, and is probably 3-3 1/2 feet square. I use worsted weight yarn and a size J-k hook.  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:11 am
A blanket usally takes me 2-5 months depending on how much free time I have. I use worsted weight yarn and usually a J or K hook.  

Brunette_Star

Fionamule

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:05 pm
My College Extra Twin blanket pattern takes about 2-3 weeks to make depending on your knitting speed. I'll send you a copy if you want it.  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:16 pm
~
I find working with an afghan hook works up faster, however still 2 weeks is pushing it. It could be done if you worked constantly.
~

Tes

hyper_azn_girl

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:20 pm
I was hoping that i could crochet a blanket for project linus and have it count as community service hours, but my proposal didn't get approved. I'm working on the blanket now, but i don't have the two week deadline now.  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:07 am
I have never knit a blanket, but the women in my guild who do says it takes 1-2 months with worsted weight yarn working regularly on it.

Crocheting is faster than knitting. The fastest I ever finished a banket was a baby blanket and that was crocheted in 4 days. The longest was a granny square flower afghan (and each freakin' flower was different and had to be sewn together >.<) which took me two months on and off. Usually it was 2-4 weeks for a crocheted afghan.  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:49 am
I'm glad to hear other crocheted blankets are faster than the granny square deal. Mine is 8 weeks and counting right now. But it is about 3 1/2 feet by 6 feet, and shall grow a bit more. (I got tired of squares, so the ends shall have long strips instead. xd )  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:45 pm
I plan on taking a few months of steady work to finish up my blanket square project. It's packed away for now, I'm on a unofficial knitting hiatus until I get the time to dedicate to it again.  

faeriebell

Eloquent Conversationalist

15,975 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:16 pm
I dont think I could go on haitus like that. Its killing me that is way warm up in my room (third floor, no AC, 90+temps 4 days running) for crocheting.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff