Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sims Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all things Sims created by Maxis/EA. 

Tags: simulation, god games, story telling, custom, Sims 

Reply Sims Q&A and Help
Reinstalling the game...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bloody Ally

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:05 am
I want to reinstall the game because I don't like the families, actually I'm not really sure why, I just want to reinstall it. Anyways, I want to keep the downloads and a lot I made, is there any way to keep it?

Also, I want everyone to grow up at the same pace, normally I play on one family and that's it. It's annoying because a person could be a baby in the family, and in another family there could be an adult, but the baby ends up growing up and dying, and the adult is still the same age as before.
How long should I play on each family at a time so it's better but doesn't annoy me with switching all the time? There's no other way right?

New Question: Anyone know where to find clear floor tiles and wall... things (also called tiles?)? Like glass and see through. I've seen some but they require expansions. I don't have any. If anyone has seen any, please tell me ^^

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:47 am
Um, Ok, here's just a couple of steps to help you.

1. Before you uninstal the game, make sure you save all of your costom content and downloads to a downlaod folder. If you don't have a download folder, create one. I may take a while but they should be in some type of folder. It'll tell you when you FIRST start the game.

2. After you save them, deleate them from your folder. (make sure you have a recycling bin on your computer that has room for all of it. Once you deleate the downloads from the download folder, you're half way there. BUT FOR WHATEVER'S SAKE, DO NOT DELEATE THE DOWNLOAD FOLDER NORE THE RECYCLING BIN.

3. Uninstal the game. May take a while. Make sure you deleate every single part of the game, even from the recyling bin, BUT DONNOT DELEAT THE COSTOM CONTENTS AND DOWNLOADS.

4. Reinstall the game. Once you get that, don't start it up yet. Go to your recyling bin, and there should be a little tab button that says something like "restore full recylingbin" or something along those lines. And click it, and click yes that you want to. You're costom content is back in the game, go play it and you should be on a roll.

PS. Also, don't forget to save the lot you want. By saving it to a "story mode" or something. Upload it on the Sims2.com and then redownload it.

You're welcome.  

Sugarmuffincrumblecakes

Dapper Consumer

Menaceman

Tricky Hoarder

11,450 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Rebuilder 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:48 am
To keep your lot go into the game and package the lot to a file. Do this by going into lot mode on the neighbourhood screen. Click on the lot you want and click on the little icon that looks like the custom content snowflake with an arrow pointing up to it. You will then get asked if you want to upload it to Sims2.com or to a file on your computer.
To keep your custom content, copy or move your Downloads folder and your Saved Sims folder to your desktop. These folders shoulld be found in My Documents> EA Games> The Sims 2>
Now, once you have safely got copies of the stuff you want to keep, just delete the The Sims 2 folder from My Documents> EA Games>
This will save you having to uninstall and reinstall the game. Just run the game as usual and it will automatically regenerate the missing The Sims 2 folders and the game will function as if you have just installed the game again, including any expansion packs.
Now just drop the copied files back into the game folders and run the lot package you saved.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:57 am
I haven't done it yet because I'm not on my computer, but that sounds right. Thank you!  

Bloody Ally

Bloody Ally

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:07 am
Ooooh I've done it, thanks. I got the stuff from my Downloads folder and I packaged the lot, is there anything else I need to do?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:11 am
If you've removed everything you wanted to then all you should have to do now is put your downloads and saved sims files back and then run the game.  

Menaceman

Tricky Hoarder

11,450 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Rebuilder 100

Bloody Ally

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:33 am
About the ageing thing, I don't really like playing those families already on the game, but I also don't like them not ageing. Is there anything I can do like download anything? Is it bad to leave them like that? To me it feels weird...  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:22 am
I don't know of any way to get them to age other than to actually play them. You could always delete them.  

Menaceman

Tricky Hoarder

11,450 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Rebuilder 100

Bloody Ally

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:18 pm
Ok thanks.  
Sims Q&A and Help

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff