Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Fabric Help?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xX Yuki no Yume Xx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:08 pm
Well I'm kind of new to sewing but I've learned a lot of the basics from Home Ec. and I plan on taking creative needle and ???? (cant remember) next year. But the thing is, I have no knowledge of fabrics.

Im planning on making a kimono, which my Home Ec. teacher says is a good project for beginners.
But I hate talking to her... (shes kind of strange) So I don't wanna ask her.
Ive seen several sites that say cotton is a good fabric for Kimono.

As far as I know, the only place near me that sells fabric is Wal-Mart.

So, here are a few questions that I have:

» What kind of fabric do you think I should I use?
» Is Wal-Mart ok for buying fabric?
» would I be able to get them to cut it to my specified length and width? ex. 14 1/2 x 13 yards
» How much would 14 1/2 x 13 yards of the fabric you suggested cost?

Thanks for the Help sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:31 pm
Wal-mart is good for cheap, especially if you're not sure how the project will turn out.

The won't cut down the middle of the bolt, and most bolts are 45 inches (although some are 60. Check the label on the end). So make sure you have enough yards, and then add 1 more for safety. 3nodding  

AriRashkae

xX Yuki no Yume Xx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:08 pm
AriRashkae
Wal-mart is good for cheap, especially if you're not sure how the project will turn out.

The won't cut down the middle of the bolt, and most bolts are 45 inches (although some are 60. Check the label on the end). So make sure you have enough yards, and then add 1 more for safety. 3nodding
ugh, I hate cutting, I always screw it up, thats why I was hoping I could get it precut, but I guess Ill have to.

Thanks for the help,

so.... If one panel needs to be about 2 yards and 14.5 inches accross, I would only need 4 yards of fabric.

45in / 14.5 = about 3, so its perfect. i get six panels out of 4 yards.

If I did my math correctly.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:44 pm
I would get a smidge over 4 yards. Don't forget to pre-wash your fabric - however, that will cause some fraying on the ends, which will lose you a little in the length. Plus, the cuts they make are never straight across, so you will have to allow for evening that part out as well.

Hope this helps.  

julyrose

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:10 pm
Yes, pre-washing is always recommended.

So if your math says 4 yards, get 5. If you don't need it, you have fabric to patch with later on. Or for another project. And if you do need it, you'll be glad you have it. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:33 pm
I would make it out of brocade, that's what I made mine out of.
though I don't think I would pri-wash it. sweatdrop  

Lee Kushrenada

Silvander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:21 pm
Pre-wash is GOD. Otherwise, you make it all pretty and then throw it in the wash the first time.... and lose... 3% shrinkage on cotton? And voila! It no longer fits right. Darn. But cotton wrinkles like crazy, so have your iron handy and become good friends with it. Yarr.

Walmart is wonderful for cheap cloth, but they don't have the variety of selection a craft store would so you may not be able to find an appropriate fabric for your kimono. tho they should have simple cotton broadcloth in various solid colors.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:52 pm
Wal Mart is cheap... and every once in awhile they will stock a bolt or three of nice fashion fabric; but you have to dig for it. Usually the only cottons they have are the lightweight quilting cottons.

Jo ann Fabrics is a pretty good place and if you can hit them while a sale is on then they have some pretty good prices. I always liked Hancock fabrics better (and hier prices were better) but they went out of business in my hometown so I don;t know how prevalent they are elsewhere.

If you're really adventurous I would do a google or Yahoo yellow pages serach for "Fabric Stores" around your zipcode. You may come up with a good fabric store that sells discount fabrics - often they are what is left on the roll of fabric after the bulk of it is sold to regular stores; and you can get really nice fabrics at a discount.

To keep it cheaper you'll want to cut and assemble the panels yourself and always get more that you think you'll need.

Best of luck!!  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Scaramouche Fandango

Big Wife

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:10 pm
Well, you better buy your Wal-mart fabrics fast... they're going to stop carrying them. Or at least that's what the lady in Muncie told me. Muncie's Wal-Mart has no more fabric, and they will never get any more. Sad, no?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:00 am
Cotton would be good for a kimono. I do echo everyone else about pre-washing it, though.

If you can afford it, satin brocades also work well for kimonos, although the brocade tends to be heavier than the cotton. I guess you could use cotton if you want to wear it during warmer weather and brocade for cooler weather. Good luck on the kimono!

Wal-Mart should have cotton, but I seriously doubt they would carry brocades. The nice thing about Wal-Mart is that their notions tend to be less expesive than fabric stores.  

Brunette_Star

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff