Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Oxford comma: right or wrong? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you a Grammar Nazi?
  Yes, totally
  Not really
  Poll whore!
View Results

purple_butterfly14

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:40 pm
"The American flag is red, white, and blue."
"The American flag is red, white and blue."

The bold comma (after WHITE in the first sentence) is called the Oxford comma. So, what do you think? Are you for it or against it? At my school, we always use it, but I personally don't like it.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:54 pm
Yes, I'm in favour of it. I don't put a comma when the two items that are "and"ed go together but are separate from the other items in the list, and not when they are just ending the list.  

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:29 am
I believe that's right. It's because you're listing things in a row, and so you have to put commas between each object being listen. At least, that's what I've been told.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:32 am
That seems correct to me as well.  

l3viathan

Wylde Style

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:19 am
I use it, because everyones opinion differs. I put that in any paper I write, just in case. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:54 pm
I am not so sure if it is "right" or "wrong." I think it has to deal with the person you are talking to. Some professors and teachers are a**l about the oxford comma and others could care less about it.

For me, I guess I would use it, but sometimes I slack off and not use it, but I try to use commas properly.  

Lily-Anne-Marie

Roguemagus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:12 pm
I prefer the Oxford comma. It's comfortable, stylish and useful.

ACK.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:07 pm
I use it, but mostly because I tend to pause there when I'm talking.  

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

CristoVII

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:11 pm
Oxford comma = correctomundo.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:24 am
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this into your signature.

I was taught that you never put a comma before "and" in a list. Thus, I wouldn't use a comma in that list.

However, I don't claim to be a final authority on grammar and could well be incorrect in this situation.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

ChibiStarlet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:34 pm
I don't know that it's right or wrong either way, but I am a fan of the Oxford comma. I think that putting it there just clarifies things and tightens them up a little bit.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:00 pm
I always thought that since a comma replaced an and (you don't say, "I saw cows AND pigs AND goats AND horses at the farm", you say "I saw cows, pigs, goats, and horses at the farm"), the Oxford comma is unnecessary. However, I agree that it can look more stylish and add more of a pause at the point where it's inserted. I guess the choice is optional to use it or not.  

purple_butterfly14

Praxling

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:07 pm
"When you go, would you have the guts to say...

Well, the way I was taught, you use Oxford comma when listing things like that.
Unless the last two nouns are being named as one object, it would be clearer to use the comma.
The examples I always heard were:
-I like cookies, candy, cake, and ice cream. (Where each food is a different item.)
-I like cookies, candy, cake and ice cream. (Where cake and ice cream are one item.)

Of course, now that I think about it, it would be clearer to insert 'and' before 'cake'.
Unless you wanted to use an asyndeton.
Am I making sense?
I dunno. Personally, I like using the comma. It feels more comfortable to me.
If your question was whether using the comma is right or wrong, it's neither. It's debatable subject.
It's pretty much a matter of personal preference.
And I guess your English teacher/professor, if they are particular about that.

...'I don't love you like I loved you yesterday...'"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:30 pm
I was taught not to do it. That doesn't mean it is right or wrong. There are simply differences in style. I went to school for journalism (and am now a journalist) and was taught that it is not Canadian Press style to use the Oxford comma.  

snazy-a-tastic

xXxPrincess AryaxXx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:03 pm
I use it.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items