Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
SEXY SOCKS..... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ever knit socks??
  Yes lots and lots of socks
  Yes but only one so far
  NO WAY! too hard
  Not yet but I have been thinking about it
  I dont knit......
View Results

Kumiko21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:34 am
I want to start to knit a pair of socks. I have never done it before but everything that i have been reading online says that is easy and enjoyable. I still have a few questions though. IF there are any UBER useful links please include them......i really want your personal opinion though please biggrin

1) Is it better/easier to use circular or double pointed needles? Does it matter?

2) What is the best kind of yarn to use for socks?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:00 am
If I could knit socks I would. I always need more socks. They just dissapear...  

Yousorrymon

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:04 am
Kumiko21
I want to start to knit a pair of socks. I have never done it before but everything that i have been reading online says that is easy and enjoyable. I still have a few questions though. IF there are any UBER useful links please include them......i really want your personal opinion though please biggrin

1) Is it better/easier to use circular or double pointed needles? Does it matter?

2) What is the best kind of yarn to use for socks?
I've only knit a few socks, but I think that sport weight or less (fingering/sock/lace weight) is best for socks. Everything bigger is hard to fit into your shoes. sweatdrop

I use DPNs to knit socks... mostly because I haven't figured out the magic loop method. I'm told that socks knit up faster if you use the 2 socks at once or magic loop method. sweatdrop I also prefer metal DPNs to bamboo.

This is all just my own preferences. 3nodding

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:10 am
What is the "magic loop method"??  

Kumiko21

Zahra Ovaci

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:52 am
Ha! What a coincidence. As I'm sitting here right now, I've got a toe-up dress sock (sweetie's birthday gift) sitting right next to me on my needles.

I have lot of sock links on my blog, but here's my absolute favorite for the absolute beginner:

Socks 101

This page takes you step-by-step through the sock making progress. She does hers cuff-down, with a flap-and-gusset heel, on 4 DPNs (three to hold the knitting, one to knit with). The only thing I would change is that if you like DPNs, it's easier in my opinion to use 5 than 4 (four to hold the knitting, one to knit with). To convert her instructions to 5 DPNs, you just split the stitches on her long DPN onto two smaller ones. If you don't like DPNs, you can use two circular needles, or one super long one (magic loop).

You can use any size yarn to make socks, but worsted and smaller is more common. I've done boot socks on size 3 needles with worsted yarn, and dress socks on size 0 needles with light fingering weight, and a bunch inbetween. You can do tow-up or cuff-down or sideways or by starting at both ends if you like smile Socks are adaptable! And if you don't happen to fancy the flap-and-gusset heel, here's a good resource on various heels and toes.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:43 pm
Having knit my way through a few pairs of socks now I can say that I really like the magic loop method. That's because I find it easier to hold and handle the one needle than 4 or 5 DPNs. The most difficult part if you choose to use magic loop is reading patterns since most of them are written for DPNs.

As for resources; if you go to a yarn store they will probably carry "Yankee Knitter" patterns. You have to buy them, but they have a pattern for "basic socks" that is incredibly easy to follow, written extremely well and has sizes for anyone from infants to big men. If you have the cash to spare it's well worth the $5 and it's a great introduction to socks  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Kumiko21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:45 pm
Wow thanks for the input!!! If anyone has anything else to tell me let me know. I have finals coming up this next week so after finals i will probably go and invest in some sock making items. I will keep posting on how it is going becuase someone else might be doing the same thing and if i run into the same problems they run into it might be a nice refrence  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:55 pm
Since your thread is sexy socks, if I remember correctly, knitty's website had instructions for knitting some fish-net thigh-highs.

I don't knit, but I crocheted some ankle high socks in a mesh pattern. I am into instant gratification, so I used Caron's Simply Soft. They are too think for most shoes, but I can wear them with my tennies, or wear them as slipper socks.  

julyrose

Kumiko21

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:48 am
ha ha ha fish net would be hot!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:29 am
self stripey socks are good and there are fish nets in the stich and b***h though i'm unsure which one! redface  

sparklingbutterfly

julyrose

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:55 pm
Hmmmm..... stripey fishnets anyone?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:46 am
Here is the link for the fishnets - I hope it is OK to post it.

http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer04/PATTlolita.html  

julyrose

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:35 pm
I'm quite fond of this pattern. I'm working on a pair right now.

http://pepperknit.com/blog/archives/344

It's not really for sock beginners, though, since the pattern more or less assumes you know how to do short-row toes and heels. Which I didn't notice when starting the pattern. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:47 pm
those look very nice!!!  

Kumiko21

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:03 pm
I have not done socks yet (mostly due to lack of yarn - to be corrected right after this post mrgreen ) but I have seen DPn and 2 circulars done. Thank you, Knitty Gritty!

2 circular looks easier to me. I have not seen any instructions for magic loop, so I have no clue how easy/hard it looks to be.

Personal recommendation: Go with whatever method the pattern you want to try recommends at least once, and then adapt it to your preferred method if needed. (International Socks of Doom! Yeah!)  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff