Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Goth Thread Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ether-Eating Eskimo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:06 pm
I was just thinking, I've seen a lot of good Goth 101, etc. threads in the music subforum here. Maybe someone should make an entire thread in the GAIA forums about every aspect of Goth, the fashion, attitude, subsubcultures, music, etc.

It might help a bit, since barely anyone I meet knows what it is.

I searched goth rock on Yahoo ANswers to find some good bands, and every single question I found was answered with a million heavy metal bands. I saw two answers with actual Goth Rock, and neither of them were chosen as the favorite answer. ><

I also saw a million answers about how goth is just another way for teens to get out their angst, and by time you're 21 you've forgotten all about it. rolleyes

I may only be 14, but I know for a fact that I like the music. XD  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:58 pm
CrimsonThanatos

I also saw a million answers about how goth is just another way for teens to get out their angst, and by time you're 21 you've forgotten all about it. rolleyes

That's hilarious... I'm not angsty at ALL, And I'm 20, going to be 21 in 2 months, And is it the angst that people are forgetting about, or...?  

a_sin_for_him

Ether-Eating Eskimo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:00 pm
I think he meant the Goth. Like only whiny teens and wannabes are goths, and you grow out of it. He's thinking of poser emos. <.<  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:28 pm
Well, there's already the labels sticky that GilAskan set up...  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Ether-Eating Eskimo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:09 pm
Well if I were to make the thread, I would link to his. Mine would be more about the actual subculture than the music, and I would just briefly describe the music.

Mostly I'd help with the many misconceptions people believe about us. I would also get into Industrial Goth, Punk Goth, and all the other subsubcultures.

I'd also get a little into other subcultures connected to, or similar to, Goths, like punks and rivetheads. Possibly also hippies, as there are some similarities.

Most of it would be about the history of Goth, and the bands themselves, more than the music they created. Like I said, there will be a brief description of the music, and I would link to GilAskan's Goth Rock thread. confused

Anyone think I should or shouldn't?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:25 pm
I guess there's that, then... Well, if you can get it to work, go with it smile  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:33 pm
I'd like to work on something like that myself, but the culture is so broad that covering each facet is virtually impossible. 30 some years of history, multiple music genres, dozens of fashion styles, art, literature, comedy, iconography, locales, slang... It's daunting, to say the least.

I'll contribute what I can, if you need any help.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:39 pm
Yeah, it'd be almost impossible to get everything, but the whole aim would really just be to help people understand the basics.

I'd also have to put a whole section telling the difference between Emo and Goth. confused I went to the Emo guild to find some help with that part, but just about everybody THERE even likes bands like MCR and crap, so very few of them will be much help. Especially since I saw a few people there criticizing goths. ><

And thanks. smile  

Ether-Eating Eskimo

Nimewe

Garbage Vampire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:50 pm
CrimsonThanatos
Yeah, it'd be almost impossible to get everything, but the whole aim would really just be to help people understand the basics.

I'd also have to put a whole section telling the difference between Emo and Goth. confused I went to the Emo guild to find some help with that part, but just about everybody THERE even likes bands like MCR and crap, so very few of them will be much help. Especially since I saw a few people there criticizing goths. ><

And thanks. smile
Yeah most people do not even know what emo really is and just uses it on people who they think is emo maybe from this song called 'Emo Kid'  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:56 pm
The song is so funny, but so wrong. Emo = Emotive Hardcore. :S

Still, I love the end of the song! XDD

You gotta wonder, also, if these "emos" get half their ideas from songs and jokes like this? blaugh  

Ether-Eating Eskimo

Nimewe

Garbage Vampire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:02 pm
Yeah the end of the song was funny "....I feel like tacos." XD

That could be true that they do get ideas from random stuff and one of my friends is emo. BTW most people think i'm emo at school because of my nails and maybe the black clothes everyday.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:25 pm
CrimsonThanatos
I was just thinking, I've seen a lot of good Goth 101, etc. threads in the music subforum here. Maybe someone should make an entire thread in the GAIA forums about every aspect of Goth, the fashion, attitude, subsubcultures, music, etc.

It might help a bit, since barely anyone I meet knows what it is.

I searched goth rock on Yahoo ANswers to find some good bands, and every single question I found was answered with a million heavy metal bands. I saw two answers with actual Goth Rock, and neither of them were chosen as the favorite answer. ><

I may only be 14, but I know for a fact that I like the music. XD

that kind of all encompasing work is really better suited to a webpage rather than a thread on gaia  

ketchakik

Ether-Eating Eskimo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:33 pm
I'm sure I can get most of the basic knowledge through one thread... Like I said, not much detail. :S

Only problem is, I dont know where to put it. Chatterbox?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:06 pm
CrimsonThanatos
I'm sure I can get most of the basic knowledge through one thread... Like I said, not much detail. :S

Only problem is, I dont know where to put it. Chatterbox?

that would seem to be the only aproriate place  

ketchakik

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:45 am
If you thought of some real pertanent questions on the subject (i.e. "Why do you think goth has become so antagonized in popular society?"), you could put it in the Extended Discussion.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff