Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
how many times has this happened to you Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

krapolaonastick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:20 pm
you are in school, and you finnish your work so you whip out your knitting needles and then someone walks up to you and says "make me a sweater"

i hate it when that happens  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:27 pm
I almost never get that. When i was in highschool, i put an end to it by giving somebody a rough estimation of what it would cost. I knew she was going to bother me, so i had several projects costs worked out. It was yarn cost plus labor plus re-embercement for the time i took to work on her project during which i would be unable to make anything for myself, plus the price of a hat (to replace the one that would go on hold). I believe that it came out to the hat being around $50, for a simple black hat. Nobody asked me ever again.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Brunette_Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:53 am
That can be pretty annoying - especially when it's a non-crafter asking it. For some reason, some people who don't craft think crafters are nothing more than "craft machines." I hate that.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:02 am
I have been getting the "oh what are you making" out in public quite a bit when I knit. Lately the answer has been "a hat, exactly like the one on my head" (which is felted) and they'll stare at me like I'm nuts and reply "No way! You didn't make the one you're wearing, did you?"

felting... something normal people don't quite understand smile  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

chunkymonkey3991

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:46 pm
Well when I get to high school next year I'm hoping my teachers will be cool enough to let me sew stuff during class. I might pick up knitting or crocheting over the summer so that too.  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:58 pm
I usually just say I don't have the time, can't afford it, or don't have the yarn. I only make things for other people if I want to and think they'll like it.  

ladyleprechaun13

Kanhoro

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:28 pm
krapolaonastick
you are in school, and you finnish your work so you whip out your knitting needles and then someone walks up to you and says "make me a sweater"

i hate it when that happens

i have that been asked to me several times sinc ei am a boy, and most pple thing with girls or old pple :'( anyways, they just want me to make things... i never have the time lol

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:43 pm
YourAzureGoddess
I have been getting the "oh what are you making" out in public quite a bit when I knit. Lately the answer has been "a hat, exactly like the one on my head" (which is felted) and they'll stare at me like I'm nuts and reply "No way! You didn't make the one you're wearing, did you?"

felting... something normal people don't quite understand smile

if you really want to keep them guessing, try needle felting in public. xd
though the last time I was needle felting, one of my knitting friends brought her kid's along. Kids: oh your needle felting. Me: o.0 my friend: yes I'm raising children that know what needle felting is.

xd

but myself I love making things for other people... granted I wont do it for just anyone, but I have a bunch of simple things I've made for other people, and I would never tell them how much it cost's me. sweatdrop  

Lee Kushrenada

Dances with Squirrels

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:26 am
When I knit on my college campus, people usually don't ask me to knit for them, but I did have one girl come up to me and say something along the lines of:

"You know, you shouldn't do that in public. You're reinforcing feminine stereotypes and making it easier for men to dominate us."

Now, I'm a feminist, but I just stared at her and sidled away as slowly as I could. If you move slowly, crazy people can't see you. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:44 am
I'm sure most guys such as me get the same treatment, "LOL f**!!!11!!"

inner thoughts: must... not... strangle... with... socks...

but otherwise it detracts from people asking... no they are more likely to beg me for art... I'm infamous for never getting promised work done for ANYTHING so I ussually just say, "ya sure..." and after a few times of them asking about it they'll slip through the woodworks.

Hexatone-

Beloved Sex Symbol

9,000 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Tycoon 200

ladyleprechaun13

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:59 pm
If someone really wants me to make them something, I say that it will cost them ten bucks...but they also have to buy the supplies. I tell them how much they need, they go to the store and look...and I never hear from them again.  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:25 pm
Dances with Squirrels
When I knit on my college campus, people usually don't ask me to knit for them, but I did have one girl come up to me and say something along the lines of:

"You know, you shouldn't do that in public. You're reinforcing feminine stereotypes and making it easier for men to dominate us."

Now, I'm a feminist, but I just stared at her and sidled away as slowly as I could. If you move slowly, crazy people can't see you. 3nodding

My response the one time i got that was to say "Easier? If anything, its harder for them do dominate us when we have pointy sticks."  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

GooGooDoll

3,900 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:04 pm
kochi~mochi
Dances with Squirrels

My response the one time i got that was to say "Easier? If anything, its harder for them do dominate us when we have pointy sticks."
I like it, hehe. Maybe I should carry around needles hidden in my boots.

I always get "will you teach me how to do that?" I just stare till they back away, I'm friendly, hehe.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:09 pm
kochi~mochi
Dances with Squirrels

I'll have to say that next time. xd  

Dances with Squirrels

sparklingbutterfly

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:36 am
People don't really ask me but I did get one the other day a can you make me a jean purse like yours. She said without any prompting from me that she will pay for it and procure the skirt for it......I don't have a problem with it. I hate when people assume that I will make stuff for them for free.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff