Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply SCA Guild
Do we say enough? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you Think we need more information on the title page?
  Yes!
  Yes! And I have some ideas ....
  No! We don't want new members.
  No! Just no.
  Now what is the SCA again?
View Results

Ringbender

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:31 am
I have been telling people to check out the SCA guild. All have come back to ask what .... Those who are familiar with the SCA will find it and some will be adventureous enough to go to the web site. Could we tell more about the "dress" aspect of the SCA.

I think it would help to get more members if we were to add a little spark to the title page.  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:05 pm
If anyone has any specific ideas, I'm certainly open to them....  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:10 pm
I don't think anyone who isn't a SCAdian is really going to be interested in this guild, and they already know what the SCA is.
I think the front page already has plenty of information for the mundanes who randomly find this guild.  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:33 pm
What about Muggles who have been invited?  

DarlingDona

Ringbender

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:01 am
Most of the people who come here will be SCA and know all about it. Some of the people who check it out will be familiar with RPG but have no clue this guild is part of a Live action RPG. Telling how it started or how we have devided the world into Kingdoms would help. The Official SCA site has some intro features we could employ.

A while back you asked members to help gather others to the guild. I have been doing such. As you can see most of my friends list is here.

One of the largest problems in the SCA today is new membership.  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:35 pm
What does Anachronism mean?  

LoneDuke

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:06 am
DarlingDona
Why would someone invite a mundane?  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:10 am
LoneDuke
What does Anachronism mean?
Actually, in the dictonary it means something in the wrong time period. sweatdrop When someone with a twelveth century personna can only find tenth century shoes is what comes to mind for me, but techincally we're all anachronism, since we're medevil people in a what attempts not to be a modern setting.  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

Ringbender

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:46 am
Kittywitch
DarlingDona
Why would someone invite a mundane?

All of us were mundane at some time or another. The word as you use it would not apply to those who I have invited. The word as you use it sounds like an insult but was never intended to be such.

Early in the "70's" when the SCA was in California only, the Knowne World was formed. That is now in the lands of Caid. There was in those days an event called a protest against the "Mundane" world. From that protest grew what we now know as the SCA. The word mundane refers to those who know nothing of the Knowne World. (IMHO)

Those who come to check out the SCA Guild are newbies. They know a little and want to learn more.

In my humble opinion, we can and should do more to gather new members. The SCA as a whole is dying from the lack of new members.

I feel this SCA Guild is a great place for newbies to try out the greater SCA and get thier feet wet in a safe, friendly, and fun way.

I love the SCA and am way glad that someone put up the cash to get an SCA Guild here in Gaia. I just want in every way I can to support the Guild. Part of that is to invite others I meet to come and savor the wonder of the SCA Guild. In My Humble Opinion this is a great guild and I want to do all I can to help it grow.

Ringbender Bear.  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:50 am
I kind of agree with Ringbender. I mean, I don't want anyone pushing the guild on mundanes who really aren't interested in this sort of thing, true. But a fair amount of people here have never heard of the SCA before and absolutely adore the time period and the things we do. I think it's a great way for them to get introduced to it and find out how to get involved. In fact, many of the join requests that we get are from either mundanes or newbies, wanting to know more. Why not encourage this? If they find that it's really not for them, they end up not posting much anyways, so it's not hurting anything.  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

LoneDuke

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:19 am
LittleGreenGirl
. In fact, many of the join requests that we get are from either mundanes or newbies, wanting to know more.

The same friends who introduced me to Gaia also had me join this guild so I could learn more.

So here is my question. Am I a Newbie or a Mundane?  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:18 am
LoneDuke
LittleGreenGirl
. In fact, many of the join requests that we get are from either mundanes or newbies, wanting to know more.

The same friends who introduced me to Gaia also had me join this guild so I could learn more.

So here is my question. Am I a Newbie or a Mundane?

well, if you already knew about the SCA but were just getting started, I would say that you would be a newbie. mrgreen  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:08 pm
Ringbender
All of us were mundane at some time or another. The word as you use it would not apply to those who I have invited. The word as you use it sounds like an insult but was never intended to be such.
I love the SCA and am way glad that someone put up the cash to get an SCA Guild here in Gaia. I just want in every way I can to support the Guild. Part of that is to invite others I meet to come and savor the wonder of the SCA Guild. In My Humble Opinion this is a great guild and I want to do all I can to help it grow.
Uh, actually, that's not true. Not everyone was a newbie at one point.
Some of us were born here. (This doesn't make us better, I'm just pointing out a detail) I'm sorry if the word "mundane" insults people, I do not mean it as such. It is simply the word that I've used, and heard used, since I was born.
What on earth are you talking about, the SCA dying? I'm sorry if your group is losing members, but I really don't think that is the overall trend.
[edit: Sorry for the confusion, this part was carried over from PMs. The SCA has twenty-nine thosand, five hundred paid members alone. And we're growing. I'm not saying no one else should join, I just don't think we have to worry about the SCA fading away just yet.]

I love the SCA as well, and in my humble opinion, people who don't have a certain interest shouldn't join an interest-based guild.
I can't see how this could have offended.  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:29 am
Kittywitch

I understand what you are saying. When you say mundane what do you mean by it?  

LoneDuke

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:39 am
LoneDuke
Kittywitch

I understand what you are saying. When you say mundane what do you mean by it?
A non-SCAdian. It's common parlence up here. Nothing more is meant by it, derogtory or otherwise.
I really didn't expect anyone to so much blink about it.  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff