Reply Twilight - The Book, by Stephenie Meyer
Flaws? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Flawless?
  Of course! It's why I love it <3
  No, it has it's flaws...but they're minor enough to still enjoy the book.
  Yes, & that's why it's so bad; good stories need complex characters & situations.
  Are you high? Ms. Meyer needs to work on her writing.
  Cookies (me: wtf.)
  Oh yeah? Muffins! (me: ohhh...that's wtf)
View Results

Jasmic
Vice Captain

Shy Phantom

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:09 pm
Okay, I know we all love Twilight here, but this is the place to get all honesty out in the open. What, if any, flaws have you noticed within Twililight, New Moon, or any of Stephenie Meyer's works regarding the series?

List of complaints I've seen before include:
- Bella as a Mary-Sue
- Edward as a Gary-Stu
- No process of falling in love
- Too much angst
- Vampires are too perfect
- Reasons why Bella and Edward love each other: shallow?
- Implications in book (especially New Moon, i.e. Bella's attempts to hear Edward's voice through danger)

So this thread to is argue against these, support these, comment on these, or bring up more complaints.

Please play nicely ;__;

P.S. Excuse the poll's last two options. I'm feeling a little loopy. Lexiconers should vaguely understand though xD

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:12 pm
I agree 100%.

but every little girl dreams of true love, so the books are definitely in the "amazing" category.  

-DiseaseFish-

complex_ity_
Vice Captain

Hygienic Fatcat

7,800 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:07 pm
I agree that there are some...things that could have been elaborated on. But Twilight as a book in whole is AWESOME! I find that for me it's easier to fill in the holes with my own reasoning, rather than admit that there's anything wrong with the books.  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:08 pm
Basically, I might think there are some flaws in the book but I sure as hell am not going to admit it to my family or friends (Gaian friends excluded).  

complex_ity_
Vice Captain

Hygienic Fatcat

7,800 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100

Jasmic
Vice Captain

Shy Phantom

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:18 pm
Well aside from book overall flaws, here's a question...

Are there any actual flaws with the vampires? Personality-wise, at least.

I know Rosalie and Jasper could definitely be seen in this category, though each could of course be justified.

I think it's Edward's perfection that annoys some people. Does the guy have anything bad on him? I thought Stephenie addressed this too, but it's been a while since I've absorbed all that info @__@

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:24 pm
The only characters I had issues with when I read Twilight was Rosalie and Emmett. Rosalie was explained a little in New Moon, but so far the only time I've seen a deeper side of Emmett is in fanfics. It bothers me that he's portrayed as such a...well, a "dumb jock". sweatdrop  

complex_ity_
Vice Captain

Hygienic Fatcat

7,800 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100

Jasmic
Vice Captain

Shy Phantom

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:34 pm
Aww, poor Emmett D:

He was serious at the beginning of New Moon when Jasper decided to go all blood-frenzy though...but you do have a point. And I don't think Stephenie was planning on elaborating on him in any future novels.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:56 pm
sad  

complex_ity_
Vice Captain

Hygienic Fatcat

7,800 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100

Epitaph of the Twilight

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:50 pm
Yeah, it has flaws, but I don't mind. Its a very good book.
Epitaph of the Twilight

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:30 pm
edwards "perfection" does annoy me, because he is boring.

honestly:
i want edward to cry
just to break down(over somthing other than his undying devotion for bella that mrs meyer can't seem to stop mentioning repetitively)
i want to see, well, his human side for a change; perfection annoys me

and bella could be a little less freakishly optimistic and perfect(clumsiness is not a character flaw and all characters need flaws)

oh well; maybe i've just gotten used to john saul type authors and forgotten what young adult books are supposed to be like sweatdrop

anyone read the Wheel of Time series? now those are complex characters  

misery incarnate

bushy_haired_freak

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:47 pm
I agree with Misery Chastain here. At times, a character's perfection can get on a reader's nerves. Because no one IS perfect. Almost everyone dreams of having a perfect guy, but it just doesn't come out like that. People, inhuman or not, need to have a flaw or two. And I don't think Edward's inability to find love for eighty years until Bella came along a flaw. Maybe he just wasn't trying hard enough..... I've also heard a lot from the Twilight-haters that they hate the Bella/Edward relationship because it's built basically on Edward's attractiveness and Bella's smelling good. I personally don't think the relationship is shallow anymore. I think in the beginning it was. Edward was curious about her because he couldn't read her mind. Bella was fasinated that a god like him was talking to an 'average' looking girl like her. But as the storyline progressed, and then New Moon was released, the relationship grew past that to real love. So no. I don't think their relationship is shallow.
So now it's all Twilight love here. heart

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:57 pm
one thing I disagree with is Vampires are perfect they are supposed to be perfect beings that is how most of them are shown  

Priestress of darkness

Jasmic
Vice Captain

Shy Phantom

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:57 pm
misery chastain
honestly:
i want edward to cry
just to break down(over somthing other than his undying devotion for bella that mrs meyer can't seem to stop mentioning repetitively)

Tragically, he can't cry of course.
Not a vampiric reaction in Meyer standards (no fluids except the venom to cry anyway, but their tear ducts still don't work).

The closest we get to that is p453 of Twilight:
"And the angel was sobbing tearless, broken sobs."

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:35 pm
XxfushigipinayxX
misery chastain
honestly:
i want edward to cry

Not a vampiric reaction in Meyer standards (no fluids except the venom to cry anyway, but their tear ducts still don't work).

True, can they blush? I mean I know they can bleed, can't they? If they can bleed, but not blush that's another flaw.  

Naomi~Guardian

Aged Fatcat

Jasmic
Vice Captain

Shy Phantom

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:31 pm
Naomi~Guardian
XxfushigipinayxX
misery chastain
honestly:
i want edward to cry

True, can they blush? I mean I know they can bleed, can't they? If they can bleed, but not blush that's another flaw.

Nope, can't blush (or bleed) either. Their skin really can't do anything except sparkle o.0;;  
Twilight - The Book, by Stephenie Meyer

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff