Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Help Silver. Illusion Knitting Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:49 am
Ok I know somewhere in here I saw a topic on illusion knitting. And in the topic there was a link to another topic with a kick arse alien scarf. So my point of this topic is. gonk May I have the pattern for the alien scarf? I'd really like to make it for my dad. Also can you use any yarn for illusion knitting or do you need two different yarn colors?  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:20 pm
I know there's an alien illusion scarf in Stitch n b***h, you might look at your local library and see if they have a copy of the book.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

GooGooDoll

3,900 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:08 pm
kochi~mochi
I know there's an alien illusion scarf in Stitch n b***h, you might look at your local library and see if they have a copy of the book.
I was going to say that, its a good patten.
I made it my sister, then she lost it.

I heart stitch 'n'b***h!!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:19 pm
GooGooDoll
kochi~mochi
I was going to say that, its a good patten.
I made it my sister, then she lost it.

I heart stitch 'n'b***h!!

I did some searching after I posted this and found it online HERE at the bottom of the page. Thanks for the help though! heart  

Silver Sunrise

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:47 am
I posted my son's scarf in the main forum, if that'swhat you mean.  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:09 pm
AriRashkae
I posted my son's scarf in the main forum, if that's what you mean.
xd Yeah, that one. xd  

Silver Sunrise

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:08 am
It was fun. 3nodding It wouldn't have taken so long if the baby hadn't been running away with one of my needles every day. Now I knit flat on circulars. sweatdrop

And it was the pattern in Stitch 'n b***h. You really do need 2 colors, to make it pop out, but it doesn't have to be those 2.

(As long as you can count, knit, and purl, you can do Illusion knitting wink )  
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:27 am
AriRashkae
It was fun. 3nodding It wouldn't have taken so long if the baby hadn't been running away with one of my needles every day. Now I knit flat on circulars. sweatdrop

And it was the pattern in Stitch 'n b***h. You really do need 2 colors, to make it pop out, but it doesn't have to be those 2.

(As long as you can count, knit, and purl, you can do Illusion knitting wink )
Yes, babies running off with knitting needles can be an issue. xd

Ok so two colors are needed. I think I'll stick to the black and green, just seems fitting for an alien. Question, does it have to be wool yarn or any worsted weight yarn? My dad is allergic to wool and since he would be the person receiving the scarf I'd like to do maybe acrylic.

I'm trying out the pattern with some leftover baby yarn from the baby blanket I made. Mostly so I can give my daughter something I knitted and hopefully she's quit trying to take stuff off my needles. xd  

Silver Sunrise

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:45 pm
I used acrylic yarn for my illusion scarf (not the same pattern) and it curled up a lot. You might want to add 3-4 stitches before and after the pattern and knit those in garter stitch to avoid curling.

The pattern might look a bit different if you don't get the gauge specified, but it should still give the illusion effect.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:55 pm
Here's a site that will help you design your own illusion knitting if you like making the alien scarf.

http://www.jigsawknits.co.uk/illusioncreate.html#handknit  

Catcheen
Crew

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:15 pm
Catcheen
Here's a site that will help you design your own illusion knitting if you like making the alien scarf.

http://www.jigsawknits.co.uk/illusioncreate.html#handknit

Ooo! Thank you for the link! heart  
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:06 pm
Annchen
I used acrylic yarn for my illusion scarf (not the same pattern) and it curled up a lot. You might want to add 3-4 stitches before and after the pattern and knit those in garter stitch to avoid curling.

The pattern might look a bit different if you don't get the gauge specified, but it should still give the illusion effect.
Ok I'll make a note of that on m pattern sheet. Thank you! heart  

Silver Sunrise

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:18 pm
So I did some more searching for illusion patterns. I found a whole bunch of fun ones. One was a Linux scarf with "Linux" and Tux (the penguin mascot for linux) on it. >_> thought about doing that instead of the Alien scarf for my dad (he's a HUGE linux geek), but the instructions hurt my brain. Also found an awareness dishcloth that I think I'm going to make a few of for some friends and a family member who is a survivor of breast cancer. and rather than go through all the patterns I really liked HERE is the directory I found them in. biggrin Have fun!  
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:30 am
Any yarn that gives guage will be good. I knit a temporary alien in acrylic on hand that was supposedly the same weight/etc as the woll I ended up with. It ended up twice as wide as the finished scarf! So pick your yarn, check your guage, an a garter border would definitely help it lay flat. 3nodding  

AriRashkae

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:33 am
For the more blunt among us: (including my best friend)

F*ck cancer  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces