Submit

Kecitich

Supportive Cutesmasher

13,950 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Waffles! 25
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:01 am
I saw a movie years ago. Inside the movie there is a quote that I think it's really deep and let us thinking about it over and over again (at least I did and I still love that quote very much)

The quote is in my current signature:

There is no such thing as a mistake. There are things you do, and things you don't do.

At this moment here is what I think about the existance of mistakes:

C did something, our experiences and people around us tell C it's wrong thing to do. C feels guilty about that. Did he make a mistake? Or he just did something others people think it's a mistake? Mistakes are what majorities think it's wrong/not good to do, either it will hurt people/things or make them look stupid. But the way I see it, it's them who think its wrong. Very likely there is nothing called mistakes....

Please tell me what you think, and what is your opinion about mistakes.  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:25 am
Your example is definately not a mistake.

I think of mistakes as things that you did that you did not mean to do. Like bumping into someone accidentally, etc.

What you're really seeking to do here is destroy the word. Why do you feel the need to do that? People need mistakes and excuses to hide behind.  

Lirius

Kecitich

Supportive Cutesmasher

13,950 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Waffles! 25
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:26 pm
Lirius, thanks for your input and sharing what you think about mistakes smile

I want to hear what are others opinions about mistakes. I never intend to destory that word. I quoted from a movie's quote and tell everyone what I think about it....

Lirius, may I ask if Person C in my example is not mistake what is that? (I just wanna know since I don't know, not causing stir)

Is this thread is a mistake (or in other words, Have I made a mistake of understanding of that movie quote?)?  
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:04 am

I agree with both of you generally. The thing in the first post is not really a mistake - because a mistake I think is something that was done that you didn't intend to do, it's like an accident, like what Lirius was saying. In the first case what C did was intentional. Other people telling C it was a "mistake" was just their way of criticizing C's judgement, mocking C almost, asserting that only an accident could be the cause for such actions.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

bluecherry
Vice Captain

oHNo3

Shameless Grabber

15,800 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:45 am
I think mistakes are a necessary part of life.. With a mistake.. people test waters and when they fail or the outcome is bad.. they learn from it and move on when they're ready to.. you hurt.. or feel bad for a little while and it's done with. (hopefully)..

No one likes mistakes.. or desire them.. or even feel the need for them to exist.. but if you think about it.. without all of us making a mistake once in a while.. how else would we know what works for us and what doesn't?  
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:40 am
bluecherry and oHNo3, thank you for both of your opinions. smile

I want to hear more. Meanwhile oHNo3 and to all, if it is necessary and a part of our lives and yet we don't intend to do in first place. That's can't be a mistake right? Do you see what I mean and what I feel about that quote? I am not trying to destory the word mistakes but since we don't intend to do, we do something accidentally and it turned out in wrong direction as a result. But that process is part of our lives, we bounce to encounted the wrong ways even we want to go another way.

I am just all confused by that movie quote. that's all lol redface sorry about these sad  

Kecitich

Supportive Cutesmasher

13,950 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Waffles! 25
  • Gaian 50

oHNo3

Shameless Grabber

15,800 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:30 am
Don't be sorry.. smile It's all a part of self enlightenment.. and asking questions plays a major role in it.. as well as opening yourself to the thoughts and views of others. I think it's great. biggrin

The quote in itself, I agree.. it's deep but at the same time it's tricky because it can go either way..

I believe we're all given personalized "scripts" in life.. of course we're not aware of what role we play right away.. or what our individual purpose on earth really is.. those are things we're not supposed to know.. but in the "scripts" there are different "mistakes" alotted to each avenue available to us.

For every single road we may choose to take.. we're given even more roads to choose from.. and each of those roads either continue on.. sometimes intertwining, making things feel complicated.. or maybe going straight through, making that point in your life a triumphant, easy going one.. and then there are those little dead ends, where you're left feeling hopeless or upset, thus forcing you to think back to where you went wrong.

Every action has it's consequence. The mistakes in itself are there for learning purposes.. and are specifically placed in areas of our lives where we'd learn from them the best.

Some might say it goes against the free will theory, but if you look at it from a different stand point, you can see that it necessarily doesn't.

Our free will takes place with our decisions.. we choose what path to take.. what path to ignore.. what to do.. how to do it.. what to think.. how to go about implementing our thoughts into actions and such.. but doesn't it make sense that nothing should go exactly as planned *in our human minds* ALL of the time? and that there should be road blocks here and there.. or a "humbling experience" now and again to make whatever it is we're going through something to remember?

I, just like others, hate to make mistakes.. BUT, as long as it wasn't in vain and I'm able to get something out of it.. it's easier for me to get over it..

Most likely there will never be a totally clear answer to what you're asking because each of us have our own thought processes influenced by our upbringing, environment, etc.. The most we can do is try to put it in a perspective where it has some sort of reason to it.

So, to completely answer your question.. to me, a mistake is meant to be a mistake.. and they're scattered in our lives to serve AS mistakes.. our intentions have little to do with a bad outcome.. no one intends to waste loads of energy doing things they think that will make their lives better, just to feel defeated after.. it's all in the choices you make as well as you being spiritually evolved enough to where you can trust that little voice or feeling we all get when we think we might be on the right track and it isnt..

The mistake isn't the real bad guy in the big picture, since it's more of an outcome in my opinion.. to me, it's all of the decisions you made..

If intentions are what's helping you reach your conclusion.. then the intentions are reflected by the decisions..

I'm not saying that what I "think" is the ultimate right answer/view/theory for everyone..this is just the ultimate answer/view/theory for ME.

ps-
I hope I answered your question in the way you hoped. smile I can say this much.. I did so to the best of my capability.

Have a good day biggrin

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:25 pm
Woah, oHNo3. Thanks for typing all those and that did do a good summary about mistake smile thanks for taking your time answering me.

And thanks to bluecherry and Lirius as well. whee

Yes. we hate mistakes but every mistakes shaped the way we are now, the way we will be become.... But maybe we are choosen to make those mistakes in our destiny too... so maybe it's not our faults. maybe there is no mistake (at least maybe we are not the one to blame for those mistakes we've made...)  

Kecitich

Supportive Cutesmasher

13,950 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Waffles! 25
  • Gaian 50

oHNo3

Shameless Grabber

15,800 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:21 am
You're very welcome. smile I loved the topic of discussion and thank you for opening it up for us to participate in.

Have a good day.

whee  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:34 am
arrow Depending on one's intentions is what defines whether, one's actions are wrong or right.

exclaim
Example:
Two men, hang one person.

One, does so for the intent of justice. (Man A.)
The other does so for the intent of pure murder.
For the enjoyment of seeing another die. (Man B.)

They both have dont the same thing.
But one has done right, the other has done wrong.

Man A. -right intentions
Man B. -wrong intentions

idea
Therefore, as long as you believe what you are doing is righteouse, then you are doing right.

exclaim
What fuels wrong intentions:
-Pride
-Envy
-Gluttony
-Lust
-Anger
-Greed
-Sloth

Demoire

bluecherry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:29 am
Ohoho! The "seven deadly sins" are what decides "wrong intentions" you say? I could/would/may still in a later post pick at the assertions in your post, but I'm not sure if that post you made exactly addressed the main post's purpose anyway. The question was about mistakes, it wasn't about right and wrong.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:45 am
bluecherry
Ohoho! The "seven deadly sins" are what decides "wrong intentions" you say? I could/would/may still in a later post pick at the assertions in your post, but I'm not sure if that post you made exactly addressed the main post's purpose anyway. The question was about mistakes, it wasn't about right and wrong.

Whatever you say, bluecherry... 3nodding

Demoire

bluecherry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:55 am
surprised Oh hey! Somebody else is actually in here right now too. But yes, the topic was about mistakes. If you want a topic about right and wrong feel free to do so though. I'd read it and reply. 3nodding (though maybe not right this instant, it's late/early and I may be getting off Gaia very shortly. sweatdrop )

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:02 am
bluecherry
surprised Oh hey! Somebody else is actually in here right now too. But yes, the topic was about mistakes. If you want a topic about right and wrong feel free to do so though. I'd read it and reply. 3nodding (though maybe not right this instant, it's late/early and I may be getting off Gaia very shortly. sweatdrop )

arrow Defining mistake @ http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mistake

mistake

noun
1. a wrong action attributable to bad judgment or ignorance or inattention; "he made a bad mistake"; "she was quick to point out my errors"; "I could understand his English in spite of his grammatical faults"
2. an understanding of something that is not correct; "he wasn't going to admit his mistake"; "make no mistake about his intentions"; "there must be some misunderstanding--I don't have a sister"
3. part of a statement that is not correct; "the book was full of errors" [syn: error]

verb
1. identify incorrectly; "Don't mistake her for her twin sister"
2. to make a mistake or be incorrect [syn: err]

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.

Kecitich
I saw a movie years ago. Inside the movie there is a quote that I think it's really deep and let us thinking about it over and over again (at least I did and I still love that quote very much)

The quote is in my current signature:

There is no such thing as a mistake. There are things you do, and things you don't do.

At this moment here is what I think about the existance of mistakes:

C did something, our experiences and people around us tell C it's wrong thing to do. C feels guilty about that. Did he make a mistake? Or he just did something others people think it's a mistake? Mistakes are what majorities think it's wrong/not good to do, either it will hurt people/things or make them look stupid. But the way I see it, it's them who think its wrong. Very likely there is nothing called mistakes....

Please tell me what you think, and what is your opinion about mistakes.

exclaim
There is much relevance..

idea
I was being sarcastic.
Demiore
bluecherry

Whatever you say, bluecherry... 3nodding

Demoire

bluecherry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:44 pm
*shrugs* Alright then. I'll leave it alone and wait to see what the actual thread creator makes of it in relation to the first post.

(Still looks off topic to me though in relation to the question of "do mistakes exist", but, I suppose we just have different interpretations of that quote. ninja Are you interpreting it as "mistakes are things done for the wrong reasons. People DO do things for the "wrong reasons," therefore mistakes do exist? I ask because my interpretation was of mistakes as accidents, that for the individual it's only a mistake if unintentional and anybody else telling you it's a mistake when you don't think it is doesn't make it a mistake for you personally no matter what they may think to the contrary.)

51: Philosophy.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff