Requisite Harry Potter Thread Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:33 am
You know it had to come. Don't fight it, relax and discuss. Or rave, as I did in my utter fandom.

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG.....  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:59 am
Heh. I can't say I'm that big of a fan, but I did get draged to the release party at my local bookstore by some friends. What really struck me about it was how things like this are exactly what the fundie Christians are afraid of. There were preformers doing magic shows and encouraging kids to believe in magic, potion classes, and a lot of other magical stuff. Only a little twist and you'd be teaching them the ways of Pagan magics (grins). If I wasn't so against prosetylizing (and if I wouldn't get in big trouble from the parents) I'd have gone up to some of the kids and told them that there IS a form of magic that is quite, quite real. Of course I could have used psychology as a cover. Magic is identical to self- help psychology in many respects. Power of will to affect a change in your life. whee  

Starlock
Crew

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:11 am
I especially liked an article in the newpaper I read, claiming that Harry Potter books contained dangerous materials, such as occultism and witchcraft. At which point I twitched several times, and half-screamed out "The only similarities are the words "magic" and "wand"!!  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:06 pm
Starlock
There were preformers doing magic shows and encouraging kids to believe in magic, potion classes, and a lot of other magical stuff.

*twitch* There were potion classes?!? Why wasn't I there?! I want to go!!!>_< I love all things dealing with potions, amulets, and incense! *is madly jealous of the Hogwarts student body*

Nihilistic Seraph
I especially liked an article in the newpaper I read, claiming that Harry Potter books contained dangerous materials, such as occultism and witchcraft. At which point I twitched several times, and half-screamed out "The only similarities are the words "magic" and "wand"!!

Yeah, seriously- it's funny what people think you can learn about Pagan religions from fantasy sources, both parental/evangelistic types and newbie Pagans combined.^_^' But I guess they're mostly just concerned about things like this giving the image that magic is cool- or at least not necessarily evil- which kind of throws a wrench into their whole argument about why you shouldn't learn it. LOL!

Oh, I want a copy of the book! I'm plotting as to how I'm going to get one, though.^_^' When the Potter series first came out I adamantly refused to read it because I didn't want to get swept up into some silly "oooh lookit there's witches in this book so all Pagans must read it" fad, which is how I saw it at the time. Then I got a job at a bookstore, and one of the things that I did was to shelve the books after they were sorted. It was really tedious, but I found that I could bring in a cassette player and listen to our used books on tape while I shelved, and before long it actually became one of my favorite tasks.^_^ But I ran out of books which looked interesting, except for the first three Harry Potter tapes- unabridged versions, fortunately.^_^ And so I figured, what the hell- I'm only doing it to make my job more interesting, and a little pop cultural education is never a bad thing... and then I realized that the books are actually very well written- both in regards to plot and style- and I was completely hooked! When the fourth book came out, I was still working at the bookstore and we had a borrowing policy which allowed employees to take home up to 10 books at a time for personal reading (yeah, it was a sweet deal^_~). When Goblet of Fire arrived, I was no longer at the store, but still in touch with a friend I made while working there, and he loaned me Order of the Phoenix. I still hang out with him, so perhaps I can borrow this one as well once he's finished reading it.^_^ I'm going to be chewing my fingers off in suspense, though, and eventually I know I'm just going to go out and buy the box set and all auxiliary Hogwarts textbooks, etc., but purchasing fiction is rare for me. I usually only keep reference books in my personal library, and borrow fiction from the library and friends. Because, unless it's exceptionally well written (and I mean exceptional), I just don't get anything out of reading it more than once. So it just sits on the shelf and collects dust, and takes up space which could have been used for a reference source. But with certain, very special series, things are different.^_^  

WebenBanu

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:47 pm
I have absolutely loved this books since I started reading them four years ago(?). I picked up my copy this morning at 7, which was the earliest I thought I could get it, only to find out I could have gotten it from another store at midnight last night. The kicker, was that I was out with friends until 11:30, and it would have been no stretch to stay out an extra half hour and take the book home had I known! stressed

I didn't get much reading in today because I got dragged to a bust of a familiy reunion, but I'm going to "bed" very shortly to read some more. I think I'm about 1/4 of the way through after a couple of hours of spurratic reading. I'm hoping to have it done by tomorrow. heart

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:10 am
My local Barnes and Noble had the 8th(?) largest pre-order or the book in the country. So, I naturally thought every one would be sold out.

Turns out, there were copies at Best Buyt (WTF?), Target (which I bought mine from), and Wal*Mart (*stab*). My boyfriend kindly got me one yesterday, and I've read the first chapter... and skimmed the pictures on every chapter title. xd  

Jameta
Captain

Kabuki Doll

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:09 am
I'm a super nerd and was one of the first to retrieve my copy of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. What was even more entertaining was that it was free because I got lucky and won it in a raffle x_x

So being the first person out of the store I was able to finish the book by 6am the very same morning. Then I read it again.

The new book, I found, while I still love it, very melancholy in its nature. It's a thousand times more depressing than anything that happened in the first five books combined.

And I must say some things were, while meticulously subtle in foreshadowing, still very predictable.

But as I said. I still loved the book. It just made me feel very depressed after I finished it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:47 am
I was SO disappointed! My barnes and noble has had a party every year for the books, and I always go. This year, they only let a few people in at a time. The line was around the block! News cars were there reporting and everything. We ended up going to the borders across the street, with the rest of the rejects, and got our book in the morning. Only on like ch. 7 or something, but its really great so far. Jim Dale is the most amzanig person ever! heart heart  

The Wallaby

Rose Mystica

Beloved Gawker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:59 pm
I'm a bigtime fan of Harry Potter, but I can't help but feel let down with this installation. I mean, sure, it's cool we get lots more nifty info about Voldemort. That's nice. But the romance seems to be rushed and sudden (Ron and Lavender--WTF? Where did that come from?) The entire book seems to be rushed. There are several excellent parts, but I still feel a bit "buh?" about the whole thing.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:35 pm
i read the whole book, I won;t give anything away but it is very fitting in a way, sad but fitting.  

FireonYce
Vice Captain

Jeering Lunatic

14,200 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:34 pm
Kabuki Doll
The new book, I found, while I still love it, very melancholy in its nature. It's a thousand times more depressing than anything that happened in the first five books combined.

Super, that's what I need- more depressing literature. Tragic writing can be very meaningful and touching when it's done right, and I liked what happened at the end of Goblet of Fire- it made the encounter seem more deep, and more vital in a sense... though I was pissed that it happened to the first Hufflepuff character who got a decent amount of scenetime (Hufflepuff rules!). But I thought that what happened in Order of the Phoenix was just plain depressing... and this is worse than all of them put together? (I want my book now! ^_^)  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:18 pm
This something I've never heard before, discussing the emotional potency of Harry Potter books...Don't get me wrong, I'm a fanatic, but I can also take a step back and say in a truthfullness that the quality of writing is not that good. The appeal is more in the plot and characters.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:51 am
Nihilistic Seraph
This something I've never heard before, discussing the emotional potency of Harry Potter books...Don't get me wrong, I'm a fanatic, but I can also take a step back and say in truthfulness that the quality of writing is not that good. The appeal is more in the plot and characters.

Really? It's been a while since I've read one of her books, so I'll have to wait until I get the new one to say for sure, but it seems to me that I've always found her writing to be quite engaging. Perhaps I'm having trouble distinguishing between the "Wow! Neatness!" factor and the actual style of diction, and admittedly I've never had one of those moments where a scene description made me catch my breath, stare at the page, and then read it again just to revel in the wordage- like I did reading Tolkien- but she certainly draws you in and makes her characters seem like actual people. They're like old friends, in fact, after you've been through even just the first book, and you feel like you're familiar with the school grounds as well. Getting another book is almost like returning to those old halls as an Alma Mater, and watching another young student making his way- and acting like a bit of a drama queen as he goes, but still. He's put into some extraordinary circumstances, and Harry is very young, so it's realistic.^_~ You truly and honestly care about what happens to them, though, and that's what makes the books so enjoyable. If she can create that illusion, then I'd say that her writing is skillful.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:16 am
Ha, she does seem to over use descriptions-
Harry's stomach lurched, a whirl of colour, was just a blur, blushed scarlet, harrys stomacxh gave a horrible jolt... I can go on, but these are found more than once in all of the books. Its definentally character appeal and plot line keeping the books together. Still, its doing a good job, I pulled an all-nighter to finish the book, and cried for hours.  

The Wallaby

Kabuki Doll

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:37 pm
WebenBanu
Kabuki Doll

Super, that's what I need- more depressing literature. Tragic writing can be very meaningful and touching when it's done right, and I liked what happened at the end of Goblet of Fire- it made the encounter seem more deep, and more vital in a sense... though I was pissed that it happened to the first Hufflepuff character who got a decent amount of scenetime (Hufflepuff rules!). But I thought that what happened in Order of the Phoenix was just plain depressing... and this is worse than all of them put together? (I want my book now! ^_^)

I think it's more shocking than depressing, really. I cried when J.K. Rowling had Sirius Black killed off. And damnit, he was my favorite character! But 'The Half Blood Prince' is still far more depressing than the other books. Also because this means that we have one more journy to embark on with this character we love so much.

It is rather saddening though. You have to read it. You'll understand what I mean.

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff