Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Does ceasement of improper grammar only cause more?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tezur

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:12 am
Fellow grammatarians take note: spread the word of ending intentionally or unintentionally bad spelling outside of this guild could lead to a false assumption that we're no different from missionaries spreading the word of God.

Of course we're not even close to missionaries, but I just don't want those on the web who are easily misunderstood to create a bad impression on us. We're not extremists of grammar, we only prefer to use it and not abuse it.

So do any of you think we are pushing too hard on grammar or not hard enough? I'm not a crew member so feel free to answer as you please. smile  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:36 am
I don't believe we could be labelled as missionaries - that's the teachers' job. We are simply those who value this skill highly and wish to converse with like people.  

zingebar

Ksenia Sergeevina

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:42 pm
Well, I don't think we should be nazi's about it but it's important, something in your sig is probably fine or correcting your friends. Random people online is a bit extreme; not to mention will annoy many people. So yes, I would say I agree.  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:08 am
Spreading gospel and spreading proper grammar are two separate things.  

Subservient Nonentity

l3viathan

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:55 am
I personally do not like preaching of any sort since it reminds me of religion, which I am not too fond of, personally.

But to answer the question which is in the thread title: Yes, decreasment in grammar only causes more. Also, because a lot of people in society use incorrect grammar, I noticed that I have creased in my grammar skills, and developed some grammatical bad habits which I have been trying to catch and snap myself out of.

I also believe that spelling is very important, and I hate to admit it, but I am not that good at spelling. It's not one of my strong points, and some people are just not naturally good at it, so I do not think we should push it too much. Being pushy about anything is not good and only causes people to dislike the idea that you are pushing for. For an example, think of PETA. They are for animal rights but they are trying to push vegetarianism onto people when the treatment of animals is way more important than being vegetarian. A lot of people dislike PETA and have the wrong idea of animal rights activists and vegetarians.

Sorry about rambling though. ^^;;;

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:39 pm
Does the ceasement of tagged reprieve of prisoners cause more crime?

No.  

MadnessFreak

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:26 am
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this into your signature.

We're not grammar nazis, we're grammar snobs. There's a world of difference. I think as long as we're not rude and in-your-face about our message, there's nothing wrong with spreading it through signatures and banners. I would however, strongly discourage flaming people who use text talk in forum threads because that will just make them do it all the more.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games