Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Sentimental Projects?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mangolyn

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:48 am
Has anyone else ever had a project that's been particularly memorable to work on? Like something that just meant the world to someone to get, or to you to make.

Mine was finishing my grandmother's washcloth. When my great-grandmother died, we were cleaning out her house and trying to organize some of the craft things she'd left, and we came upon several garbage bags' worth of yarn and half-finished and a few finished projects. One of them was a half-done washcloth in a purple/blue/lavender Peaches n' Cream cotton with one row done in an off-white. My mother looked at it and said "Too bad it wasn't finished." and sighed, so I took it from her and looked at the pattern, and realized it was the same one I'd used to make a baby blanket a couple years ago, so I told her "I could finish it for you." and did.

It was definitely a moving experience, finishing Grandma's work. It turns out we had the exact same guage, and I was able to use her needles for the whole rest of it. It's an interesting thing to look at for me, the way it's two colors like it is. It's almost like she left it waiting for me...her half, and mine. I love the idea that I was able to help that little piece of her live on like that.

Anyone else have something special to share?  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:17 am
I've never had something quite that touching...

Once, i was at Micheal's with my girlfriend and she say this one yarn, one of the colors of Sugar n' Cream, i think, and it was white with little pastel bits. She told me that she had a bunny that felt like that yarn and had the same colors of pastel, randomly like that yarn did. I asked her what happened to it, and she said she didn't know... but she looked sooooo sad when she said it! So i bought the yarn a different day and made her a bunny. She almost cried when i handed it to her, three months later.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Mangolyn

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:04 pm
She's quite lucky to have a friend that would do that for her ^_^  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:10 pm
Mangolyn
She's quite lucky to have a friend that would do that for her ^_^
I probably wouldn't have if she wasn't my girlfriend. When we were just friends, she was close enough that i felt the need to get her pretty good presents, but when we got together, i felt the need to one up myself....  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Blue-eyes-green

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:21 pm
That's really sweet....

I'm still working on a quilt my grandmother started piecing back in the 1930's before my oldest uncle was born, and never got around to finishing because she had five kids, and it's taking forever 'cause each of the circles has to be hand appliqued onto muslin inorder to finish a square... when I think about how wonderfully it's connecting generations and how awesome it will be once it's finished, it's really moving. When I think about how I'm only done 17 of 25 or so squares, and then I'll have to block it, and then do all the hand quilting, it feels a bit like indentured servitude.

(I promised my mom today that I'd have it done in time for her next birthday. I'm hoping that will motivate me so more. Mom doesn't want me to start another quilt until I'm done with this one, so instead I've been working on a lot of knitting projects...)  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:29 pm
I don't know if it's sentimental, but I did just start thread crocheting using patterns from the '40s (I made another topic about it). My great-grandmother used to thread crochet a lot before she went to the Lord, so my Dad's been thrilled to see me thread crocheting. He always smiles a little when he sees me doing it - I think it holds some meaning for him.  

Brunette_Star

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:49 am
A dear, sweet lady who lived across the street from us when I was growing up passed away and my mother was given a box full of crochet thread and a few old pattern books that had been hers. When I started crocheting, my mother gave me the box. After I had been crocheting for a while, I made a doily from a pattern in one of the old books and gave it to my mother for Mother's Day. I told her that I used Mrs. Ward's thread and pattern to make it and I swear I saw a tear or two before she turned away.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games