Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Is this a sign of craft geekiness? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is this cool or what?
  OMG Yes!
  I don't see what you're so excited about...
  I don't even crochet - just give me gold.
View Results

Brunette_Star

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:26 pm
One of my parents' friends used to be an avid thread crocheter. Now that I'm done with grad school for this semester, I've been wanting to try my hand at thread crochet, specially since my great-grandmother (whom I'm named after) used to thread crochet a lot before she went to be with the Lord.

Anyway, the above-said friend of my parents came to visit the other day. When I said hi to her, she said "I have something here to show you." She handed me a stack of thread crochet books - some of them printed in the late 40s! (Two of them were printed in 1947 and 1949!)

I asked her if I could copy them, and she smiled and said "Those are for you to keep, dear, I don't have the eyesight to do that anymore." I swear, my jaw dropped and I stared at them the same way some people might stare at an antique car that was just given to them. I didn't know what else to do except say "THANK YOU!" and give her a huge hug!

So now I'm crocheting a doily from a 1947 pattern and getting an absolute thrill out of it! Man, this is so exciting! Thread crocheting! Using patterns my great-grandmother might have used! I'm named after my great-grandmother! WOO-HOO!

Am I a geek or would any of y'all get this excited?  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:22 pm
that's not geeky, that's cool!

I love things that have history to them... I don't have anything crafty that's old, but I wish I did... I keep trying to find really old knitting needles.  

Lee Kushrenada

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:29 pm
That would be so awesome!!! My land lady has german patterns from the 60's for little girls clothes (crocheted) and they are just so cute!

I would love to find an antique crochet hook. ^^ They tend to be sooooo pretty.  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:05 pm
I think we all would have been that excited.

The fact that you were already interested in learning, that it has a personal collection, and the fact that you were given books rather then copies counteract any geekieness, in my opinion.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Tes

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:57 pm
~
Haha I was happy enough to find patterns from the 30s/40s online... getting them for reals has got to rock.

Crochet lace is fabulous, I really enjoy working on that sort of thing. It's good that more people are getting into it.

~

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:33 pm
It's probably geeky, but I'd be pretty excited too!  

Catcheen
Crew

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:31 pm
That's definitely not geeky. I would be so thrilled to get old books like that or any kind, crafting or not. surprised  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:41 am
That was an awesome gift, no doubt about it. I love those pattern booklets and have found a few of them at estate sales for prices I'm willing to pay.
When I started to crochet I was given a box of thread and a few pattern books that had been given to my mom after a very good friend of our family died (It had been her box of stuff). I made my mother a doily out of one of those books for a Mother's day a few years later and she cried. I had also been given my grandmother's set of steel crochet hooks that go from a size 00 to a size 16 because she couldn't see well enough to crochet with thread any longer. I treasure those hooks, and use them often.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Mangolyn

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:14 pm
It's geeky, but we're likely all at least craft geeks here mrgreen

That's really, really cool, though. I've got some of my late great-grandmother's Workbasket magazines, with almost a complete set starting from January of 1930-something, I think. I can't wait to start some of those patterns! I'll have to scan in some of the old crochet ones and stuff to share with everyone else, if it's not against copyright stuff at this point.  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:07 pm
Whew, I'm glad to find out I'm not some uber-geek...although that would have been OK with me!

Wow, you can find patterns from the 30's online? That's cool!  

Brunette_Star

Fionamule

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:52 pm
i get that way about old knitting books.
there are a lot of old patterns online now. try freepatternscentral.com they have some old patterns on there.  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:55 pm
The oldest patterns I've ever gotten were from the '60's, all clothing, and not that attractive.  

ladyleprechaun13

nax is back

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:49 pm
Psh, that is so cool! I would be really excited too! Although I don't crochet, (because I can't) I still would have been really excited!  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:14 pm
DecemberFlower
That's definitely not geeky. I would be so thrilled to get old books like that or any kind, crafting or not. surprised

I agree - I always get a thrill out of old books. I'm so Jealous! crying
We have one old novel printed in 1904 or 1914 (forget which) entitled "Tom Swift and the Wireless Message". XD I actually bought a cookbook that had been reprinted from a Victorian edition, with the original illustrations, just for the historical factor. ^_^ I also have a pamphet with victorian lace patterns (though it was printed in the 1970s), and I always love to look over the photographs of all the intricate little things... But I haven't attempted any yet. I'm scared to. neutral  

Beboots

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:58 am
ladyleprechaun13
The oldest patterns I've ever gotten were from the '60's, all clothing, and not that attractive.

You might be surprised at how much better they will look if you update the colors. Someone on Craftster updated a 70's sweater and it looked fantastic, you couldn't really tell it had been made from the same pattern until you ignored the color scheme and focused on the shape. It was hard to focus on the shape considering the horrible color schemes that designers of 70's clothes came up with.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff