Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Literature
I want a nice read. (looking for a book)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ITEMhunter

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:45 am
Can anyone suggest a good book?
I like English books (written by English folk).
It helps expand my vocabulary.
I like quest, fantasy and anything along those lines.
I don't want a book with many pages... I'll say 200-300.
I posted this in the Gaia fourms, but no one suggested anything written by english authors...

Fixed. ^^  
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:51 pm
Ellen Foster...  

Altima the Dragonic Lord

randomfuzzy

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:03 pm
How about 'The Magicians' Guild' by Trudi Canavan (Cavanan? confused ) It's really good. It's the first book of a trilogy though...  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:33 am
Can you please check your spelling? The thread title says "I want a nice reed." That suggests that you want to get a nice reed pipe or something. You mean "I want a nice read." Also, English is always spelled with a capital 'E' and you spelled "written" wrong twice. The ellipsis you were trying to use is supposed to have three periods (i.e. I don't want a book with many pages...I'll say 200-300.). I'm sorry, but it bugs me when people don't use the Enlish language properly. Granted, you're much better than people I know. Sorry if I'm coming on a bit strong.  

Cherished Strawberries

950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

strangerthanfiction

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:41 pm
I suggest "Animal Farm" by George Orwell. It is not fantasy...exactly. It's really short but very emotional. Everything is a huge metaphor of WWII so it's also educational. I'm pretty sure he is an English author, though not completely.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:29 am
If you like fantasy, Howl's Moving Castle by Dianna Wynne Jones is rather good. I would also suggest The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman.

I'm also going to suggest The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It's not really fantasy, but it is a quest, and it's by a Brazilian author, not English, but it's still an amazing read.  

Calica

strangerthanfiction

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:58 pm
Oh, Phillip Pullman, he's a good one (agreeing with previous gaian). The Golden Compass is a series, followed by The Subtle Knife then The Amber Spyglass. Although it is rather lengthy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:51 am
Well, my favorite authors are Dianna Wynne Jones and Tamora Pierce. Both of them are English. Tamora Pierce writes about heroins though. I'm not sure if you like to read about that kind of thing. She is an amazing writer though. The Power of Three is a favorite book of mine too. I think it's by Dianna Wynne Jones, but I'm not sure. They sound like the type of books/authors who write those books that you said you would like.  

purple shadow angel

Literature

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff