Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
"You're to young" Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ever been told you're to young to (insert craft here)?
  yep
  nope
View Results

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:30 pm
I'm always being told I "look to young" to be able to sew, crochet, bead, and a whole pile of other crafting/art things. ESPECIALLY that I'm to young to crochet or make period costuming. ARG! Since when was there an age limit on these things?

I'm assuming in a guild full of teenagers and 20-somethings, we've all gotten this at one time or another. So, whats your story?  
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:57 pm
Well, I've never been told that, but it gets implied every now and then. How old are you? *14*  

nax is back

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:05 pm
I've had knitting needles, crochet hooks, sewing needles, tapestry needles, etc, in my hands as long as I can remember. I would have learned to spin a lot younger than when I did (13?) but Grandma didn't get around to fixing her wheels until then. mrgreen

For people who say you're too young, blow them off and do it anyway. Or ask them at what age you get your learner's permit for knitting needles. rofl  
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:55 pm
Apparently my boyfriend has a real problem with me knitting when i am over his place. I am pretty sure there are several reasons that he is not telling me but one reason that he has given me is that I am too young. WHAT EVER!!! This is the way i look at it. If i wait until i am "old" to start knitting then I will have to work even harder to get to the skill level i have achieved in such a short amount of time.  

Kumiko21

AngwyMallard

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:14 pm
Pfft age prejudice. I only -wish- I had been practicing my hands to do my crafts from early on. My grandmother's generation learned to make crochet lace and knit socks well before they went to school, and I can just envy the works they've done. Why couldn't you attempt that in 21st century, eh? Why did a couple generations suddenly become too young to do these things?

I say do what ever you want. Ask the busy mouths what can -they- do. Be proud that you can do something practical!  
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:40 pm
~
I mostly get something to the effect that there should be more young people in crafting... totally disregarding that is becoming more and more popular among the youth.
Though I have had people distrust my advice on crafting because of my age, the consult other ladies at work who have more years than I do.

~

Tes

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:05 am
I tend to get it more in the implied sense, then the out and out "You look to young". And as I'm nearly 20, I think its odd that people think I'm to young. But since moving up north, I've been told this like 5 seperate times. Vastly irritating. I normally get them to leave me alone by pointing out I learned at about 8, and most kids learn at 8 or so.

The woman who told me yesterday? Her 11 year old was buying herself new knitting needles. So it was especially illogical.  
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:00 pm
I used to teach knitting and crocheting at the local YMCA when I was 23. I was consistently the yougest person in the class... and the teacher >.<

When I moved to Oregon, though; I met a large number of college age knitters and fiber arts people. even guys!

So "too young" is bunk, really. I find that most older crafters appreciate seeing a dedicated teen or twenty something take interest in what they do - they want thier craft to last as much as we do  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Brunette_Star

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:41 pm
I haven't gotten the "too young" reaction yet (I'm 24). I have gotten the reaction that Azure got though - that people are happy their craft will last.  
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:48 pm
Now that I'm in my 30's I don't hear about being too young much, but I do still occasionally hear it. It's really annoying since I didn't learn to crochet until I was about 26.
I've also heard that I'm too old to be crafting too which is extremely annoying, but I usually hear that from kids age 12 and younger.
My mother crafts, my grandmother crafts, I enjoy knowing that I'm carrying on a tradition. I've taught my daughter some crochet stitches and will probably be giving her sewing lessons soon now that I've got a sewing machine again.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Yugure no Tasogare

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:33 pm
I've gotten the too young reaction before, when I was crocheting in 4th grade, but now people are looking at me with a "wtf are you doing" sort of look when I knit.

it's actually kinda funny, I'm the.... 4th to oldest person in the knitting class, and I help teach it since I know almost as much as the 2nd teacher we have there even if I'm only a beginner.  
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:04 pm
I occasionally get a "Wow, your so young!" but almost never 'too young'.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Tes

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:47 pm
Yugure no Tasogare
I've gotten the too young reaction before, when I was crocheting in 4th grade, but now people are looking at me with a "wtf are you doing" sort of look when I knit.
~
Haha that reminds me, February when I was going on vacation I took one of my small sewing projects with me to work on while on the plane, there were these three probably colledge age boys across the isle one turned to the other and whispered, "what is she dooing?"; to which he got the response "she's sewwwing *gasp*". I just cackled to myself, more people need to be exposed to crafting still.
~

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:40 am
I can't stand when people do that to me. When ever I crochet out in public people say I should be doing other stuff like sports or something. And then I'll take it to school and the kids say that I have no life... It's stress relief!!! sheesh...  

RocknRollDragon

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:42 am
I remember one time, in the 8th grade (many many moons ago!) we had to do some sort of project about a book we were reading. Most of the other class went with posters and the like.

I decided to sew dolls and make a shoebox diorama. (They were simple dolls, basically 2 gingerbread people seamed and stuffed, and clothes.)

I took one of them on the bus for a field trip, to finish it up (I think it was the last doll) and everyone was giving me the WTF? look.

Except the teacher. She though it was cool because a) it was different than the others, and b) I was handsewing. mrgreen  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff