Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Lavender Lounge .: Questions and Assistance :.
Animal omens? o_O;

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jezehbelle

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:54 am
While me and my sister's kids were playing outside the other day, I sat down and two seconds later, a salamander crawled over my foot, paused on top of my foot, looked up at me and kept going. This is sorta weird since... well, I've never had a lizard crawl over my foot before. o_O; And I've also never seen a salamander around here. sweatdrop

That night, sitting on the front porch, a grey fox wandered up to the front walk way, within five feet of me. He looked up at me, right in the eyes and walked away.
Again, this is REALLY weird, because I've only seen one wild red fox around here once... and it was roadkill. sweatdrop And they don't usually just walk up to people, do they?

And also, I've never really seen a grey fox before, but I assumed that's what it was. Except, it had no brown/tan markings, just grey and white...

The next day, sitting outside again, a dove came and landed on the rail of the porch. Doves are sorta common, I don't see them a lot, but I hear them alot. It perched up on the rail, took a few steps towards me and looked at me. And then it flew off.

The NEXT day, there was a little tree frog on my front porch (really beautiful sorts of black and green), and it's been the only one that's been outside while I was inside. I looked out the window and saw it and it looked up at me. This one stared the longest and would look at one eye, than my other one. It even watched me walk out the door and stand by it. Just watching me. Then it cocked it's head to the side and back and then turned around and hopped off.

Today, there was a chicken in my front yard.
Let me back up.
I don't live in a rural area. In fact, I don't KNOW of a chicken farm (or a farm that has animals at all really) for another 5-10 miles and I've been living in this area for a good long time.
It had apparently walked down the road and not entered any of the other yards (according to a neighbor of mine), but walked up into my yard about 30-40 feet (or, within 10 feet of me) and looked at me for a minute, pecked at the ground a bit, looked back at me, pecked, and made a 180 turn and back out to the road and back up the street.

And as I watched that chicken walk off into the sunrise...
I couldn't help but wonder why the chicken crossed the four lane highway to look at me and walk back home...

On my way into work, all of the cars were stopped on the highway at a red light and even when the light turned green. All the drivers around me looked confused and were watching something cross the road. And I finally saw that chicken again -- everyone was watching it cross the road.

It was actually kinda hilarious, looking back... xd

I dunno. I think there's some sort of omen in there with all of these things going out of their way to come up and look at me o_O; But I can't quite figure it out...
I mean, if there was just one of them, it would be sorta understandable, but this is a little weird...
Especially the chicken. o ___o;  
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:53 am
I'm fascinated by the salamander. Salamanders, like most amphibians, are very pollution-sensitive species. The way I interpret that one as an ecologist is that either it's asking for help in protecting its habitat or you actually live in a nice area where these guys can survive.

Depending on your state of residence, the grey fox may have been a coyote but I'm not sure. Grey foxes are somewhat less common as I understand and less well adapted to urban areas if that was indeed what it was.

Doves are pigeons, though for some odd reason we use different names for them. Have a long history of being used as messenger birds, though doves specifically have other more romantic symbology.

Chickens? Not too well respected; haven't looked much into their folklore but they are definately not the most well-treated animals by human beings.

I would start by doing some research about both the science and the folklore of these animals to give yourself some clues. Something odd is definately going on here. These critters want you to pay attention to them or they are curious about you. For what and why... not sure.  

Starlock
Crew

Jezehbelle

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:47 am
It was definately a fox -- I've seen a coyote before and they're a bit more dog like than foxes, I've noticed.

Red foxes, I know, mate for life. Dunno about gray foxes though (I haven't really found anything about their breeding patterns, other than it being at the beginning of the year around here).

It was a juvenile red spotted newt (or salamander), of the terrestrial stage. There's a pretty clean creek behind my sister's house (where I saw it) -- me and the kids will attempt to clean parts of it out now and again.

The chicken was probably the weirdest one (the others, I would've expected, but the chicken... not so much...). The lore I've read, it's a good thing it didn't crow... I posted it on me Myspace (because a lot of my friends have random pockets of information), and my friend John (his mom's Pagan and he's into Nordic mythology) posted this:
Quote:
The Chicken. The 3rd most sacraficed animal behind goats and lambs. Used to appease the gods, ask for their help, or gain an audiance with them. Seeing as how the audiance with them almost always ends in death (or you becoming like the Wonder woamn of the Nords) I don't think that's it. I think this one may be almost like you trying to appease the gods so that they will leave you alnoe to go on with you life. Also it may be like you are asking for their help, even though you do not fully believe in them.
While I would never sacrifice an animal (I keep voting for tofurky at Thanksgiving, because I hate dealing with the bird), this just seems... Very interesting...

I think there's more to it, I mean if it was just one animal, it'd be easier to understand, but... yeah...  
The Lavender Lounge .: Questions and Assistance :.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games