Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Knitting Chainmail

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A poll is a poll
  and a roll is a roll
  and if we don't get no polls
  then we don't get no rolls.
View Results

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:25 pm
My husband is going to start knitting chainmail to sell alongside my projects. We havea few suppliers lined up for links, but we wanted to know if anyone else had some. A wide supply base is a good safety net. wink  
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:00 pm
knit... chainmail... o.0 how dose one knit chainmail?
is it really metal, or just made to look like? o.0  

Lee Kushrenada

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:24 pm
I'm curious too. I'm picturing knit wire, but you mentioned links. Is he knitting with a chain?  
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:27 pm
how in the world?  

blackcay

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:16 pm
Sorry. sweatdrop

"knitting" chainmail actually involves clasping links together with 2 pairs of needle-nosed pliers. Having watched him do it (back when he worked for a call center and a co-worker was his "dealer" xd smile it lookde a lot like knitting, so that's jsut what we call it now. whee  
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:03 pm
... supplier of pre-made rings to link?

is one by chance online?

linkeh?

i've been wanting to make some chain-mail jewlry, but using jumprings (even though it works) is expensive, and forming the links is hard and boring....  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:19 am
The RingLord

Sara's Chainmail Connection

Art of Chainmail  
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:30 pm
Mailwork! I have a friend who does that - I know there are several ways to work it, depending on how many rings you link to the start.

In another note - You can both knit with wire (usually for jewelry) and make theatrical (fake) chainmail by knitting stiff cotton/nylon cord with large needles and then coating it with several coats of chrome spray paint. While it won't stop any swords, it looks darn real, and will make many kids happy for Halloween  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:54 am
Oh, that is awesome! xd

If our sons ever want to do knights, we're probably going to argue about who gets to do the mail shirts. (I think I'd be done first) rofl  
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:40 am
Here I was thinking using a bulky weight yarn in acrylic and then spraying it silver. If you use garter stitch, it does end up looking a little like chainmail.  

Hotaru Tobutakai

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff