Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Does this bother you as much as it bothers me? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does it bother you when professional writers make typos?
  Yes
  No
View Results

AdiGallia

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:15 pm
Sometimes, when I'm looking at some form of literature (This includes textbooks, regular books, comic books, and comic strips) I come across something dreadful: a typo or grammatical (or sometimes even spelling) error.

It really, really bothers me when that happened. These people are SUPPOSED to be professionals, and they even have editors. So why don't they check to see if they typed everything correctly?

Gah, sorry, this just really bothers me. ^^;

I think that if you're going to have writing of any kind as a profession, you should be able to use proper grammar.

Agree? Or am I blowing this way out of proportion?  
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:28 pm
Yes, it does. However, it's not has horrible as text talk; it's not as if the editors purposely leave typos there to annoy us. wink  

Zealot of Insanity

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:39 am
It does.

Whenever I see a typo in a book, I'll put a sticky note in it saying what the mistake is.

Then it gets returned to the library.  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:37 pm
Everybody makes the occasional typo. These people are writing books that are often over 300 pages long. You can't expect there to not be any mistakes. If you've ever written a short story, you might be able to understand.

I can't say that it doesn't annoy me at all, but I'm generally forgiving about it. If it isn't anything major, I'll let it go. Now, if the author used improper sentence structure, yes, I might care. But you can't expect anyone to be perfect.  

Luxx Aeternam

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:31 pm
You know what? I found about five typos in Stumbling on Happiness, and it was an award-winning book.

Typos are hard to avoid. As long as it's still easily readable, it's not a big deal (although will probably pick it out).  
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:43 pm
Hm, isn't this what editors are for?  

SilverBellsAbove

blueturnsgrey

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:16 pm
Nah, it bugs the hell out of me. My reaction always consists of, "PROOFREAD!!!!!" But in all seriousness, it is their job.  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:44 am
It really bugs me. Not so much because these are professional writers. Everyone makes mistakes, and I can respect that. But they should be looking over their work, and then they have editors who are supposed to be going over it as well to make sure that kind of thing doesn't happen. I blame the editors more than the writers themselves.  

ChibiStarlet

l3viathan

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:53 am
It annoys me slightly, but I remember that we are, after all, human and thus make mistakes sometimes. We cannot catch everything sometimes. I know that sometimes I can read over something I wrote several times and not catch the typo or mistake until much later.  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:19 pm
It's just the fact that people are getting paid to actually do this, which means that they should DO IT RIGHT. I mean, if it was a free service, then I mean it would be acceptable (but still not quite) because that would be understandable.  

Zealot of Insanity

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:09 pm
I can see typos in novels and such- it's easy enough to make a mistake in a four page essay, never mind a 400 page work! Comic strips bother me, however. There's four sentences- get it right!!

I correct typos in books, especially if I've read the book a few times and seen it every time. My boyfriend knows what's going on when I slam a book down in go in search of a pen.  
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:38 pm
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this into your signature.

A book that has actually gone through a publishing company should be 100% free of spelling errors and typos. There is no excuse for anything less. Professional writers are supposed to be beacons of literacy upon whom we can depend to deliver us error-free works that go easy on our eyes and brains.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Acid_Dino

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:08 pm
I does bug me. But, I just deal with it. Everyone makes mistakes.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:16 am
Luxx Aeternam
Everybody makes the occasional typo. These people are writing books that are often over 300 pages long. You can't expect there to not be any mistakes. If you've ever written a short story, you might be able to understand.

I can't say that it doesn't annoy me at all, but I'm generally forgiving about it. If it isn't anything major, I'll let it go. Now, if the author used improper sentence structure, yes, I might care. But you can't expect anyone to be perfect.

I agree with him. Having written short stories recently, and some of them being... fairly long short stories, I easily make mistakes. I go back and edit, yes, and I use the spell check, but there are things people over look. For instance, 'It's' and 'its' both are correct in the dictionary, and it's easily overlooked when reading, as it doesn't pop out at them like a usual mispelling does.

It bugs me, too, however; I can't say that it doesn't. I read a book once with three grammatical errors on one page. It made me twitch horribly. But having done something like that in my life, I tend to be more forgiving about it.

InherentlyRisky

Dapper Dabbler

Anye5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:49 am
I try and be forgiving. It still bothers me, but I know sometimes you just miss things. Yes they get paid to do their job, but so does the President of the US. I wouldn't say he's perfect by a long short. None of them have been. Not all teachers a re perfect, and their paid the teach us. So yes, I can see both sides, and yes it does bug the crap out of me, but sometimes it happens. I know I would want to be forgiven.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff