Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Coolest discovery EVER for knitters Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:05 pm
Okay, am I the only one out there who hates to purl? I hate it. Circular needles are my joy because I can just knit and knit and kit.

Well, I found the cure for that on my daily knit blog surfing today.

Isn't that so cool? I'm still trying to figure out the best way to hold the working yarn, but it's not too hard to do and I am overjoyed. I shall never purl again. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:46 pm
Wow.... that's crazy.

I actually ike to purl; but still that's darn cool  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Mildred Pierce

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:19 pm
Yeah....I figured that out too. Maybe that's why I'm addicted to making hats.

But I actually love to purl. Right now I'm making a seed-stitched hat and I have to do a knit-purl thing. That's harder because you have to reconfigure how to do stitches.  
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:59 pm
Thas actually how I learned to knit, but since I've switched to continental ((It's FASTER!!)) I'd rather purl.  

Chaotic_Mind

4,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:35 am
Technically, you still have to purl if you're doing ribbing and seed stitch. But yes... I knit continentally and it does go faster than throwing. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:48 am
Okay, knitting n00b alert here:

I totally thought that WAS purling. that's what I've been doing. Í'm a crochet goddess (self proclaimed of course) but knitting has always alluded me.  

caffinated_tulip

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:09 am
Purling isn't so bad, I don't mind it at all. I need some time to work on increasing and decreasing without making my work look all holey. I also need my stuff out of boxes so I can find what I need, but that's another story.  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:41 pm
I personally like to purl as well.. it's not a problem for me. But it's very interesting to see, that's very cool. Would be a hassle for me though, purling's not that horrible, now is it? xD  

faeriebell

Eloquent Conversationalist

15,975 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400

Zahra Ovaci

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:09 am
I've actually seen that technique referred to as "knitting back backwards", to differentiate it from "knitting backwards" a.k.a "mirrored knitting", where the stitches sit the other way on the needle and all stitches are worked from left to right, which some lefties say is easier for them to learn. I prefer knitting back backwards on things that use textured stitches, like cables or lace, because it's easier to keep track of things when the right side's always facing you. Do you happen to know if they have a video on purling back backwards?  
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:25 pm
I'm an ambi knitter, so I do that quite regularly. It's actually faster for me to knit "left-handed", working the stitches from right to left needle, than vis-versa.

You MUST watch out, though, because the gauge will be different knitting with the other hand like that. You can't switch back and forth within a project from "knitting backwards" to purling the WS rows without gauge issues cropping up. Usually, the hand you knit less with will be looser. So if you do knit backwards instead of purling, make sure you stick with it for the WHOLE thing.

And if you use it with charts, you've got to remember which side is which. Directions will need to be mirrored, too.  

Mangolyn

Fionamule

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:44 pm
EZ says it is faster to purl all the time (to do garter st). I think shes crazy though. The way in the video looks like it takes forever! I think I agree that purling is faster.  
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:19 pm
Okay, I guess it was just me then. I don't have any gauge issues, and I've gotten a pretty good speed with it. My main problem is that because I used different muscles to purl, my hands cramp up, so I like the Knitting back backwards method better.  

knitting_needle_ninja

Caitiebear

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:18 pm
That is one of the most interesting things I've ever seen. Hua. That's something I have to try out.  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:32 pm
Ooh, I might be able to try that. I just need to remember my YouTube login so I can save that video for later. sweatdrop  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Kanhoro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:27 pm

cool. for me i normally, just do it english method, and i am faster on that so i dont normally do soemthing else.

Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff