Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I stole that which you value most....
  I'm not dead, so no you didn't.
  YOU B*****!!!
  Really? *grabs chainsaw*
  I value nothing, human.....
  I don't believe you....prove it...
  How would you steal something that's not tangible???
View Results

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:18 pm
Is the world slowly moving towards a point in which no one will believe in a god/gods? Polytheism first, then monotheism, and atheism. There's probably always been people who didn't believe in a god/gods, but it seems like less and less people out there believe the farther we go with our science and techonolgy. In the future, will anyone believe? How soon will that come, will it come? Will it be a better world?

*I'm not sure if this should go in the extended discussion or not.*  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:25 pm
We still will believe in Gods, still worship at an alter. But the God, worshipping, and alter themselves will change.

People say religion is blind faith, with no base in fact.

But how is this different than science? There are probably only a few hundred people in the world with access to electron-microscopes with which we can examine atoms. The overwhelming majority of the world believes atoms to be real; it is on faith alone that we believe scientists are not lying.

We are moving towards an age in which we worship logic and science, which are not essentially reason and fact.

And then too are there the Gods we don't admit to worship. We ritually sacrifice time and money to the television, to the internet, to music and film.  

GilAskan
Crew

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:47 pm
The gods and rituals change and the whorshipers remain the same....It seems then that there will always be some form of a god in our lives, wether we recognize it or not, it's there.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:19 pm
GilAskan
We still will believe in Gods, still worship at an alter. But the God, worshipping, and alter themselves will change.

But how is this different than science? There are probably only a few hundred people in the world with access to electron-microscopes with which we can examine atoms. The overwhelming majority of the world believes atoms to be real; it is on faith alone that we believe scientists are not lying.

We are moving towards an age in which we worship logic and science, which are not essentially reason and fact.

And then too are there the Gods we don't admit to worship. We ritually sacrifice time and money to the television, to the internet, to music and film.

Religion is faith, certainly, and whilst some theists may have blind-faith, I think "religion is blind faith" is slightly too much of a sweeping statement to make. If it was, St. Anselm would never have written his Proslogion, Aqunias would never have written Summa Theologica, and st. Augustine and St. Irenaeus wouldn't have bothered writing their theodicies.

A lot of people don't treat the internet/tv, etc with reverence - they pound the keyboard, scream at the computer and the TV and throw the remote control about when they can't get it to work - usually, they later realise that it was actually all their fault. The lack of reverence suggests it's not actually worship. Few people unquestioningly love a TV. Though I admit some do, I don't think the people who would actually qualify as worshiping TV, etc., are that great in number.

I don't think we will ever reach a point where everyone is a theist, or everyone is an atheist.

Science and religions aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Slayer Igraine

Licorious Kasaki

Tipsy Regular

5,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tipsy 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:42 pm
I really hope we move away from a godless world. It would make alot of lives easier.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:13 pm
sadly people seem to be shunning God out of fear, stupidity, or both. both is very likely.  

Shadowfire7157

Snows Wyntre

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:37 pm
I'd have to say no, because I am very well beleiving in my religion, Wicca. And in fact am trying to make a gui;d similar to this one, but more to the efect of Wiccan, and alternately all other religious discussions.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:44 pm
Shadowfire7157
sadly people seem to be shunning God out of fear, stupidity, or both. both is very likely.

Stupidity? Are you saying that some people don't beleive in god because they're stupid? Explain to me how that would work!  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Simim

5,750 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:47 am
GilAskan

And to beauty, to drink, to drug, to fiction, to art, to food, to clothing, to anything.

Everyone has a hobby, after all.

To this site even.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:53 am
I doubt that there will ever be a time when nobody believes in any form of diety, but it is certain that fewer and fewer people are finding validity in religion these days. This is partly due to a disenfranchisement a lot of people are going through with the more organized religions. Some turn to alternatives, while others simply turn away.  

Verienkeli

Girl-Crazy Genius

~ Main Forum ~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces