Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Double Standard?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you noticed this double standard?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Ensign Rickeee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:04 pm
I've noticed a double standard forming in our society. Have you noticed that (this is just an example) if a Caucasian calls another Caucasian a "cracker" it's just fine? Then if someone of a different race calls them that, it's considered offensive? Another example would be the word "******" and African Americans. This attitude applies to many other ethnic groups as well, but I'd just like to see if anyone else has noticed this.

This thread wasn't meant to be offensive to anyone who found that it was!

Thanks! ^_^  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:05 am
I've noticed that...it's very common everywhere.  

darkrose_eve

1,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Organic Shadows

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:51 pm
darkrose_eve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:33 pm
Organic Shadows
darkrose_eve

Ksenia Sergeevina

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:59 pm
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this into your signature.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that this still goes on in today's society. It comes from the basic instinct to view those different from oneself as a potential threat. It's as old as the hills and won't disappear no matter how much we indoctrinate children with diversity and multiculturalism.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:06 pm
It's also not just the word, but the feeling behind it rather than the meaning that has an effect most of the time. There is a difference between "******" and "*****," after all. One is extremely offensive, while the other is affectionate. And it's just plain funny when a white guy says it stressed  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

-l- Eli -l-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:51 am
It kind of translates over into reverse racism, where a white/caucasian person can't get away with what a black/hispanic/asian/whatever person can, for fear of being labeled racist.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:58 pm
Yeah, I hate that! I despise the "N" word and I refuse to let anyone call me that. In my house, my parents always told me that it was an evil word that had such a horrible past. They always taught me not to accept it as just a cultural thing or a sign of love or whatever.

Ohh! I hate when people (black,white, mexican) come up to me and say, "What's up, my n****a!" I could rant for days, I swear.  

Sister_Lenore

Feather Kana

Sparkly Spirit

18,725 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:09 pm
I refuse to say the N word for any reason. It is cruel, not to mention backwards or derogadory.

"Cracker"....?

*draws a blank*

Calling a white person a "cracker"?

Maybe it is just an Iowa thing, but I've never heard that expression before, and I'm old enough. It must be an example of more localized slang....

Oh well, when I talk to my best friend in Georgia on instant messaging, she sometimes uses phrases that draw the same blank, and end up being local expressions I'm not familiar with. I have done the same to her, and we both brush it off as dialect trouble once we resolve our confusion. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:18 pm
Honestly, why do we have to have labels such as these?

Can't we just call people by their name that they introduce themselves with? Do we really have to use these racist labels? stare Though I hate this kind of talk, I suppose there is nothing I can do but voice my opinion; I'm only one person, after all.  

Patron with a Mission

Zee Zee Top

4,750 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:27 pm
Yeah, I've seen it a lot. However, I've got to say, I feel uncomfortable using any racial slurs. I can't say those insulting terms, even towards people of my own race.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:34 am
While I can be rude and sometimes completely offensive, one thing I will not say is the N word. I make racist jokes occasionally, but I make fun of every race, especially my own. (White people can't dance, really. I find that generalization funny beyond imagining.)

I hear the N word in the hallways at school and have a sudden urge to punch the nearest bystander. Even when the person saying it is black. I just have a need to hit something. It's like they don't realize what that word really was once. The pronunciation doesn't change the meaning or the history of the word!

Anything I say really isn't meant to offend. If it does offend you, I quite frankly don't care and I'm not sorry.

Dodger Gunning

Amaya84

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:07 pm
chiyojo
It kind of translates over into reverse racism, where a white/caucasian person can't get away with what a black/hispanic/asian/whatever person can, for fear of being labeled racist.

I've never thought of it that way, but it's quite true. My boyfriend is mexican, and I'm white, so we have a great time making fun of each other. Then I have to remember not to yell "Beaner!" at him in public. eek
I've already gotten some weird looks for that one. Making fun of each other is our way of saying that there's really no difference between the two of us. heart  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:29 am
We want equality between the many races of the world, but by allowing others to use many of these offensive terms towards each other, we are only promoting further diversity. It's a way to keep the status quo. And, yes, it's become a very common place thing. Mostly because in today's society it's promoted viciously between rappers and entertainers. But you can always take that first step and just worry about what you call others, eventually it will catch on.  

baby_dragonite

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff