Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Gothic Urgings Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you have the chance to dress as you like?
  Yes
  No
  Sometimes, but not as often as I would like
View Results

DarkPrincesa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:13 pm
I am 23 and fairly involved in the "Normal" world (i.e. I work in a professional setting... no "goth" allowed) and often find myself longing to dress totally out. I always incorporate my styles into whatever I wear, so my work clothes tend to reflect some of my gothic style, but all in all I have very few chances to really dress as I would like. I even find my weekend wear tends to stick with a fairy T-shirt (usually from hot topic... love my fairy's) and pants. I dont even really own a lot of the clothes I would love to, because of the expense x lack of wear. (i have started sewing to remedy this... but still stuck with prepared patterns)

Does anyone else face this dilemma? How do other guild members deal with it? I usually have once a year (dragon*con) where I can dress however I want, and I always take full advantage, but then again I find myself lacking the clothes I want... I even find myself using Halloween as an excuse to dress as I would love to every day of the year, thus in my mind almost making a mockery of myself and my true desires.

Now I know one doesn't need to dress goth to be goth according to some, and according to others that is goth... but thats not the issue I mean to bring up here. I mean to find out how others deal with their desire to dress non conventionally.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:35 pm
-laughs- Oh, my dear, you and I are definately on the same boat. For several reasons (my parents hate my look, I don't leave the house much, and I don't go to wild parties everyday, etc.) I don't get to were the clothes I'd like and I don't get near enough pratice with my makeup or hair. I also happen to be short of change, so I can't really afford an elaborate wardrobe. So, on the occasion I get to go somewhere I have the feeling I look like a total loser. xD

Dragon*con also happens to be one of my yearly sprees, and I tend to try to make time for concerts to wear fun clothes. I also wear where I think it will freak out the most people (museums, parks, family gatherings...)  

Asher_Scree

The Goth Apple

Dapper Dabbler

14,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:07 pm
I must say that I am truely lucky that the only problem with dressing gothically in my profession is that it enforces the sterotype of pagans being goths.

I sell silver and art at pagan craft fairs.
Admittedly, I work at renfairs, too, but I don't dress gothically there because I don't want to.
It isn't historical. At all.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:52 pm
crying know how you feel

Goth is bought, its put into what you wear. I shop at thrift stores and wal*mart. What I make, I make on the fly, no patterns at all. I have two make up bags, civillian and crazy demon underground. Ive been contemplating buying a wig so i can dye my hair back to pink.  

Choboxer

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:31 pm
I don't really have any urges... sure, I like to wear aesthetic items every now and then (though I can't afford much, and I am pretty amateur at DIYing), but my only occasional "gothic urge" is along the lines of this: "You know what? I feel like listening to Sex Gang Children"  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:34 pm
I also work in a professional setting of sorts and, while I'm never found without my dangly skull earrings and bats even at work, I'm right with you on the longing to "go all out". Subtlety isn't anywhere as satisfying as just plain looking however you damned well want to. Yet, I don't go to goth clubs or nights all that much anymore. Most of the more elegant clothes which I used to wear no longer fit or were lost in time and, really, I don't see the point in spending money on getting somethings new when I never have the chance to wear them anymore.
Thankfully, my best friend is far more active in the goth scene than I am. When I spend time with him I have the chance to really let loose (mainly because HE dresses me! xd ) There is also an event here, Collectormania. It's basically a movie memorabilia fair, among other collectables, and nobody looks twice at someone dressed differently from the masses. A lady in a full length velvet gown attracts no more attention than a grown man dressed as Harry Potter.

Serjo Sammie

DarkPrincesa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:34 pm
Asher - wow... its like works from my mouth... am getting a little better with makeup (been off work for 3 weeks with times to practice and had a girlfriend who I used to talk tips with) but all in all... I am so jealous of the girls with the perfectly lined eyes... in the blackest of blacks... no matter what I do its doesnt look the same (to me)

Goth Apple - Is that a fun job? I have always wondered because it seems like it would be. Traveling, getting to go to the shows... for a living.

Violation - I have never had an luck at all at thrift stores... do you just have to go often?

What do you do to "tame the wild goth" in you? I jsut have this desire recently that I must dress and surround myself with goth... can I cant seem to satisify it. What about bands? I never got into the old school goth bands... what are some good ones. The current bands I love are Switchblade Symphone, Cruxshadows and The last dance.. prob not typical goth bands... but I love them.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:12 pm
I know what you mean, kiddo, and I'm sure my dear friend Angie knows too. It'll only be when we're 18 and living on our own that we can truly satisfy our strange cravings for gothitude.  

EvFaerAshlynn

DioRte

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:49 pm
I think I'm in the same boat here. I can dress however I feel when I'm at home, and I usually stay in the same goth clothes when I go out places, but not without getting stares and glares left and right. I just don't really care if I get stared at, so I just dress how I feel anyways. Although at a job, I'll have to dress in their dress code, and I try to incorporate as much goth as I can [albeit all subtle and probably only will get noticed at all by another goth]. I get to exercise my urge pretty much everyday, but whenever I go places, I still have to tone it down a little. I'm still pretty obvious, not not quite as much as I'd like. Whenever I feel like going uber-goth, though, I also feel I don't have enough. I definitely stand out in a crowd, though ^^; I have been wearing more "normal" clothes, however. I have the feeling that I'm going to be buying a lot more "normal" clothes and wearing those more than I'd like to, though ;>> I think it's inevitable to have to conform at some point, unless you get lucky and land a job working at a place that accepts your style.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:33 pm
ya i face the same type of thing but with me im allowed to wear my stuff only when im not at home and i can change at the place im going because my mom is like total mooly mormon and ive told her before just because i dress in the goth style that im not goth but she still wont allow it so if i have goth stuff i leave it at a freids house and then i go there and change then go out and hey i know how it feel to get glares right and left but i found a way to get around it just make everyone in school or where ever scared of you and if ou dont think you can just always weare a pissed look on your face  

0kurohono0

Interesting Prophet

6,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200
  • First step to fame 200

Snows Wyntre

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:20 pm
I do pattern sewing as well. Also, go to your local goodwill or other thrift stores regularly. You never know, what you may be lucky enough to find.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:41 pm
Obviously I can't wear what I would like to work, but I definitely get the opportunity on the weekend, and when I go out clubbing  

babalonsatene

DR490N

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:56 pm
i dress however i want. i live with my mom, i'm 18, and my mom doesn't control what i wear. she bitches about it often, but thats fine. i tend to stay up here in my room anyhow.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:49 am
I do not have this problem.

User Image

MortSanglant

Loki Iago

Anxious Scamp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:22 pm
I would be totally "gothed out" if not for my mom's family. Granted, I have fairly good control of what I wear but my mom doesn't let me "go over the deep end" aka combat boots and black lipstick. It bothers me. So college will be nice.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff