jewlery making
  2 or more of the above
  other
View Results

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:22 pm
so beyond what everybody can do... what IS everybody working on right now? and i don't mean this to exclude armor making and such... that counts too! if anybody has pictures of spiffy projects that you're either working on currently, or projects that you're just damn proud of, please show!  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:25 pm
Last A&S thing I finished was my armor, I made the full set in the 4 months prior to Warriors and Warlords, got it finished a few days before the event. I'll try to attach a pic, never did this before though. I'm not sure why the person who took the pic has me as "Lord Cassius" though since I'm not a Lord. Currently Rockhaven wants favors for our fighters, the shire symbol with a spot along the top where a picture is burnt in for each weapon style the person is authorized in. They'll attack to the fighters belt. I've made a couple different ones so people in the shire can decide what they like most then when we get more leather I'll make more.

[Edit] I can't seem to get the image to show up. It's on the shires yahoo site and I just get a red X when I try to link to it.  

CassiusD

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:56 pm
CassiusD
Currently Rockhaven wants favors for our fighters, the shire symbol with a spot along the top where a picture is burnt in for each weapon style the person is authorized in. They'll attack to the fighters belt. I've made a couple different ones so people in the shire can decide what they like most then when we get more leather I'll make more.

oooh, that sounds spiffy... you say the picture is burnt in? so in leather, then?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:02 pm
CassiusD

[Edit] I can't seem to get the image to show up. It's on the shires yahoo site and I just get a red X when I try to link to it.

hmmm... if you really want it up, pm imzy, she helped me with that kind of problem a while ago... go imzy!!!  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

CassiusD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:44 am
littlegreengirl
CassiusD
Currently Rockhaven wants favors for our fighters, the shire symbol with a spot along the top where a picture is burnt in for each weapon style the person is authorized in. They'll attack to the fighters belt. I've made a couple different ones so people in the shire can decide what they like most then when we get more leather I'll make more.

oooh, that sounds spiffy... you say the picture is burnt in? so in leather, then?

Yep, 4 oz tan leather. I burn in the pattern using a wood burning tool. The actual burning only takes around 10 minutes, drawing on the pattern takes around an hour.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:38 pm
littlegreengirl
CassiusD

hmmm... if you really want it up, pm imzy, she helped me with that kind of problem a while ago... go imzy!!!

*blush* Technocrat to the rescuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue!
Cassius, PM me and I'll see if I can help.  

Imzy
Crew

Imzy
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:21 pm
Cassius:

Go to your shire web page, find the picture, and right click. Choose properties. Find out the URL of the picture, and PM it to me. I'll see what I can do.

And for goodness' sake, turn on PMs so I can PM you back. =)  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:49 am
I am using the last of my supply of fermented flavored vinegar (made from peary) for sweet pickle peaches. The vinegar was in the A&S pentathalon in Caid five years ago along with Rose vinegar, and a cooking entry using vinegar & herbs with baked fresh bread.
-Astrid

My sweet pickle peaches recipe is:

Clean and sterilize six 8 oz jars then add to each:
3 whold cardamon pods
5 black peppercorns(whole)
3 whole cloves
One strip bark of cinnomon (not a whole stick but a good size peice)
One star anise
a thin slice of a halved nutmeg pod taken from center
One whole large truly *ripe* peach, peeled and pitted, cut in 6-8 slices

In a small saucepan heat 2 cups sugar, 1 cup water and 1/4 cup flavored fruit vinegar to rolling boil. Pour just enough into each jar to come to 1/2 inch from top.
Increase liquid if needed, but usually if peaches are big and stuffed in with spices, each jar will not take much liquid.

Add sterilized lids and rings and can as usual. Leave 1 month to three months before serving for the spices to permeate and pickle the peaches.
Great served warm over ice cream, eaten alone, or as a treat over cereal. Makes great Yule and Twelfth Night presents!

-Heide  

magicheide

Arithrel
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:42 pm
magicheide
I am using the last of my supply of fermented flavored vinegar (made from peary) for sweet pickle peaches. The vinegar was in the A&S pentathalon in Caid five years ago along with Rose vinegar, and a cooking entry using vinegar & herbs with baked fresh bread.
-Astrid

My sweet pickle peaches recipe is:

Clean and sterilize six 8 oz jars then add to each:
3 whold cardamon pods
5 black peppercorns(whole)
3 whole cloves
One strip bark of cinnomon (not a whole stick but a good size peice)
One star anise
a thin slice of a halved nutmeg pod taken from center
One whole large truly *ripe* peach, peeled and pitted, cut in 6-8 slices

In a small saucepan heat 2 cups sugar, 1 cup water and 1/4 cup flavored fruit vinegar to rolling boil. Pour just enough into each jar to come to 1/2 inch from top.
Increase liquid if needed, but usually if peaches are big and stuffed in with spices, each jar will not take much liquid.

Add sterilized lids and rings and can as usual. Leave 1 month to three months before serving for the spices to permeate and pickle the peaches.
Great served warm over ice cream, eaten alone, or as a treat over cereal. Makes great Yule and Twelfth Night presents!

-Heide

Oooh. That sounds GOOD.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:53 pm
magicheide

would apple cider vinegar work?

sounds sooo yummy... i'm going to have to try sometime.  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:59 pm
right now i'm working on making favors for my household. i just found a great plaid in our colors (blue, black, white) and i'll use it to border the thistle and dew drop cross-stitch pictures i made last summer. soooo many favors... hopefully i'll be able to have my sewing machine up and running so that i can work on them at school... then i can put some pictures up here to show them off! mrgreen mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:40 pm
Well folks, it's finally happening. I'm buckling down, and I'm going to learn how to sew. This winter I plan on making a new Italian Renaissance gown (just a simple camping one, similar to one I already have-I'll post a picture of that one later...my mom made it) and a new cloak. I'm kinda nervous. I tend to be a walking disaster with things like this, but I'm determined. I /will/ make this dress, and I will /not/ go insane while doing it!

..Well, no more insane than I already am, anyways.  

Arithrel
Crew

Imzy
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:22 pm
Woo! go Arithrel, you can dooooo it! wink Seriously, if I can do Italian Ren, anyone can. smile

I, for my part, am working on making a new shirt for my lord, from a McCalls pattern a friend lent me. This should prove to be interesting since I've never worked wholly from a pattern before, and never on my own. eek And this pattern has a LOT of gathering around the sleeves and cuffs, and I'm not quite sure how to go about doing that. More than likely I'll be calling up the friend who lent me the pattern and begging her for help.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:46 pm
Imzy
Woo! go Arithrel, you can dooooo it! wink Seriously, if I can do Italian Ren, anyone can. smile

I, for my part, am working on making a new shirt for my lord, from a McCalls pattern a friend lent me. This should prove to be interesting since I've never worked wholly from a pattern before, and never on my own. eek And this pattern has a LOT of gathering around the sleeves and cuffs, and I'm not quite sure how to go about doing that. More than likely I'll be calling up the friend who lent me the pattern and begging her for help.

hey, asking for help isn't as bad as it seems... you get to do it correctly, and learn how to do it correctly all at the same time. it's all good!  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

Imzy
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:45 am
littlegreengirl
Imzy

hey, asking for help isn't as bad as it seems... you get to do it correctly, and learn how to do it correctly all at the same time. it's all good!

*grins* yeah, that's how I learned how to do the italian ren style dresses I've made. I had a pattern that was sorta like the dress I had pictured in my head, except there were a few changes I wanted to make.

For instance, there was no way in hell I was putting a ZIPPER in the back of my medieval gown. But I didn't want it to be a back-lace dress because I wanted to be able to, y'know, dress MYSELF. and I didn't have the faintest clue even how to begin, I was terrified I was going to ruin everything, and I only had so much fabric (I was making the dress out of a twin size bedspread).

So one of our local members came over to my house and basically held my hand, showed me how I could easily modify the front/back pieces, and then showed me how to make the skirt really simply by just taking a big rectangle of fabric and cartridge-pleating it onto a band, and then sewing that to the bodice we made from the pattern.

It turned out really, really well, and after that I was confident enough to make the sleeves from the pattern all by myself. smile And later, I even made a whole new gown based off the same pattern, all by myself. smile  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff