It's Solstice Time!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:20 am
This week, Thursday, the 21st of June, Sun reaches the zenith in the sky on the annual journey of Earth about the Sun. This is the day of the solstice, or a day in which Sun appears to stands still in the sky. Shadows are at their shortest and this radiant energy will provide the next several weeks to come with plentiful heat. Solstices have been celebrated by humanity since before the advent of the written word, as evidenced by megalithic structures built by pre-literate cultures worldwide. Among the most famous of these structures is, of course, stonehenge.

arrow What are some things that the Solstice means to you?
arrow What do you think you'll be doing for this Solstice?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:42 pm
1.) It's a joyous day to me, a day of the sun's greatest power and when everything is alive and active for the longest period. It's also near my anniversary with my current boyfriend, so that can't hurt.

2.) I have work during part of the day, but I'm getting a special dinner with my boyfriend at a Morroccan place, and I may look up any other happenings that night...there's gotta be something going on in the area.  

Azana Brown

Supercharged Protagonist

40,975 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Battle: KO 200

Caerwiden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:42 am
I read somewhere that Stonehenge was actually designed for the midwinter sunset, rather than the midsummer sunrise. If that's true then everybody goes there on the wrong day xp  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:00 am
Honestly, it doesn't really mean much to me. It's kinda the point where I go "good, this means that theoretically it won't get any hotter here"

As an industrial society, I think the astrological significance of the sabbats mean much much less to us than our spiritual forebearers who watched the sky for agricultural clues.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:04 am
Nihilistic Seraph
Honestly, it doesn't really mean much to me. It's kinda the point where I go "good, this means that theoretically it won't get any hotter here"

As an industrial society, I think the astrological significance of the sabbats mean much much less to us than our spiritual forebearers who watched the sky for agricultural clues.

Actually, the warmest time of year comes after the solstice. The actual temperature of the Earth lags behind the position of the sun in our sky. Hence our warmest summer days are usually in July/August, not June (and our coldest months January/February, not December).

True, the astronomical signifigance is lost upon us. I often mark other signifigant seasonal events. The day the cottonwoods release their fluffy little seeds. The turning of the leaves. First snow of winter. That sort of thing. whee  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:16 pm
It's usually a day of joy for me and this year is no different. While I am unable to get out and do much today and a formal celebration is entirely out of the question, since I just had surgery last Friday and am still in the don't bend, lift, stretch, move too much stage of healing, I am so grateful that I have my health and family around me that I will be happily celebrating with visualization this eve.

Blessed Be.  

PurpleSyn

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:28 am
I got to light this really awesome fire stone I baught for the first time at the Solstice. They're called "Celtic Fire Stones" and they're super cool and worth buying from the online store. It didn't burn as long as I hoped it would, but it did last a couple hours and considering I didn't fill it all the way with oil, that isn't bad.

I've also been using the poetry of Patricia Monaghan from her "Seasons of the Witch" release which is totally awesome if you can get a copy of it. The one I have comes with a CD that sets some of the stuff to music which is even better. whee  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:40 am
I hung around with my fiancee all day, talking about our upcoming wedding, and then stayed glued to the compy till 3 AM.

Nothing special, I guess.. confused

Conan The Barbie Doll

SofiaDragon

Interesting Citizen

6,650 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:39 pm
What are some things that the Solstice means to you?
My birthday, as I was born the 20th. It is a great time - the sun is up for the longest period so I spend the day out in it.
What do you think you'll be doing for this Solstice?
I hung out with my best friend and observed in a private candle ceremony with my sister.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:42 pm
I knew that I wouldn't be able to celebrate during the solstice because I am in the Marine Corps and we were doing a field excercise. But the energy created by the solstice kept me going, especially since I woke up at 230 and was on post standing guard all day, in california while it was extremely hot. It kept me going and since I had only gotten a few hours sleep during the week I was grateful for the energy I was able to borrow. I usually do a ceremony where I give back energy to the earth that I had borrowed but had to postpone it. Eitherway it was not very eventful for me and I'm dissapointed about that.  

Shogun_Emrys

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff