Reply ~ Main Forum ~
dresses Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

westie330

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:40 am
guys i need help ... i can never find a formal dress i really want ... i want it to be gothic but i can never find one formal enough at hot topic and at other stores alot of the dresses all look the same  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:02 am
Try thrift shops.
It doesn't necessarily have to be a dress either.
Try combining an elegant black skirt with a cool top.
Alter your clothes or clothes you find in a thrift shop.
Make it your own. It'll be more satisfying to wear and definitely not like anything you find in stores.

Bit of advice: avoid Hot Topic at all costs.

User Image

MortSanglant

Beatngufan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:58 am
try buying a dress online, that helps 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:14 am
If you have the ability to buy online, go to the life issues subforum and go use the link directory in the fashion stiky.  

IY_and_MCR
Crew

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

westie330

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:02 am
thsnk u i will try these things  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:36 am
As others have said- avoid Hot Topic at all costs.

I personally suggest you look online. There are a lot of great sites. Look to http://www.thedarkangel.co.uk/onlinestore.php , for example.

If you have reservations about looking online, there are a few other good places to look. Check your local yellow pages for costume stores or theater supply stores. If you're lucky, you may even be able to find a store that specifically sells period clothing.

Thrift shops are always worth looking into as well.  

GilAskan
Crew

Devils_lilboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:14 am
westie330
guys i need help ... i can never find a formal dress i really want ... i want it to be gothic but i can never find one formal enough at hot topic and at other stores alot of the dresses all look the same

Try darkangel.co/online store, or thrift stores, you could also make your own dress....  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:58 pm
yet again the black sheep among the white *sigh*

anyhow, I've acctually found 2 decent dresses at hottopic so it's ok to look. I mean, they acctually have some decient things for pede's sake...

Rimi

xxxdeletemexxx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:34 am
Depending on your measurements and budget, BABY THE STARS SHINE BRIGHT has two gorgeous black dresses in their Alice and the Pirates line...

http://www.babyssb.co.jp/shopping/pirates/103P315/103P315-b.jpg

*drools*...

But they don't specialize in goth apparel.
So don't mind me~!  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:42 am
I don't mind Hot Topic, but you won't get what you want there.
I find making your own clothes using Halloween patterns can be really good. I have a gorgeous black/purple Civil War era dress thanks to Simplicity 3nodding
If you have cash to blow, Kambriel has GORGEOUS stuff. Check her site.  

Scathach789

Broken Feather

Eloquent Exhibitionist

10,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:37 am
User Image

Yeah, as MortSanglant said, it doesn't have to be a dress.

I wore a corset and skirt and people kept commenting on how beautiful my dress was. ^^

User Image

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:41 pm
Broken Feather
User Image

Yeah, as MortSanglant said, it doesn't have to be a dress.

I wore a corset and skirt and people kept commenting on how beautiful my dress was. ^^

User Image

Corsets and skirts can be lovely...

The only thing is that it is immensley difficult, if not impossible, to get a corset off-the-rack. Most pre-made corsets are cheap quality, and even if they have metal boning, it may not be heavy-duty. Store bought corsets, spare perhaps a couple brands, have a tendancy to warp, tear at the seams, have the boning and gromets pop out, and whatnot. Not to mention they don't fit most people correctly. Never buy corsets at a mall.
If you can find a good alt. clothing shop near you, look into thier corsets, but make sure to fuss around with the boning, check the stiching, and just play with it to see if it's at all durable. Your best bet with corsets would be to buy a custom-made one. One will cost AT LEAST $250, but will be much better than a store-bought one.

Or, on the other hand, look for an antique corset. I have a ca. 1920-1930 corset, and though I have never worn it, I can tell that it is extremely well made, since it was intended to be a utilitarian grament, as opposed to the more decorative corsets of today.  

DreamerSpirit

Exquisite Cadavre

1,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:20 pm
I actually bought a homecoming dress at Hot Topic a few years ago and modified it, but they don't carry things anywhere up to par now...

Depending on how much you want to spend for the dress try Gallery Serpentine, Rose Mortem, Kambriel, or Drac in the Box. The first three sites have stunning clothes- Gallery Serpentine being more victorian in nature though with selections in pvc as well...however the last choice is probably the more affordable. ^^

Good luck!  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:25 am
MortSanglant
Try thrift shops.
It doesn't necessarily have to be a dress either.
Try combining an elegant black skirt with a cool top.
Alter your clothes or clothes you find in a thrift shop.
Make it your own. It'll be more satisfying to wear and definitely not like anything you find in stores.

Bit of advice: avoid Hot Topic at all costs.

User Image

i would also suggest thrift shoping, you never know what you are going ot find  

rosalind_spencer

Redwing~Shadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:21 pm
I actually bought a really nice black dress at ross for less then 30$ for prom, and else where you can get nice clothing at handy down shops, like goodwill or thrift stores. You really never know. Online shops are nice, looking at some of those dresses I would just love to buy, but the price and shipping would be too much for me, and well, you would have to wait, unless your a patient person.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff