Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Is misspelling "cute" to some? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tezur

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:05 pm
Improper grammar and spelling, I'm certain, can be used on purpose to draw attention. But do some find it "cute", or even arousing? I think when most forum-goers misspell their words it's meant to only look like a typo, yet there's some hidden, possibly disturbing details. This is only fictional, but I'll provide an example.

A would-be sexist
hi c** ovr 4 lotz fun

See how I spelled come as "c**"? And "lotz" to some may just dictate as "lots of".

I know I don't have concrete evidence but I can't quote another site right now: I'm using a cheap browser until I get a better wireless connection in my house. xp  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:13 pm
In some cases, I believe it to be true. Take the misspelling of the word "the", for instance. For some reason, they seem to think that by misspelling it as "teh" they're being cute or cool.  

Zee Zee Top

4,750 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200

YourLovelyBear

Beloved Bear

17,725 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:42 pm
Umm... or like the word 'rawr'. People spell it like that a lot. Even though 'roar' is correct.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:44 pm
Hm, do you mean people reading it find it cute, or the people who type it incorrectly think it's cute?

I'm guessing the latter.

And yes, I think that some people do just that. I just find it irritating.  

blueturnsgrey

ChibiStarlet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:22 pm
blueturnsgrey
Hm, do you mean people reading it find it cute, or the people who type it incorrectly think it's cute?

I'm guessing the latter.

I second that. =)  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:46 am
Yeah. They probably do it on purpose.

Desann4

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:25 am
I've seen quiet a few signs that have something such as "Frogz Party Palace." It seems that this is getting more popular to advertise something that has a misspelling or a sound-alike letter, such as "z" instead of "s".  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:41 am
I don't think it's cute at all. xp
I think it just shows how lazy someone may be.
But, when I'm hyper (alot of the time), I'll say things like.. OMGSH, or El oh el. But my favorite 'slang' term is.. GTFO!
Call me strange..  

`Kikyo

Prolific Partner

Tezur

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:42 am
blueturnsgrey

I'm guessing the latter.

Um, both actually. razz  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:48 pm
c** and gotz. now. If it was a honest typo though. Then it would be fine.  

d-a-r-k-s-h-y

XDBunny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:18 pm
I'm quite accustomed to people who type like children(what with playing MapleStory for a couple of months), but I can't stand people who just over do their typing(LETZ BE FRIENDZ LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!1).

... Although, I tend to act like those stupid individuals whenever I'm with my friends and we're overly excited. xD It's funny because it's pathetic.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:44 am
Unfortunately it seems that way.  

Nahhanie

omiyashi0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:22 pm
ChibiStarlet
blueturnsgrey

I'm guessing the latter.

I second that. =)

I third that.
I don't think it's cute to mispell, or use the wrong word.
I have a friend who'll use 'me' in place of 'I.' At first, it didn't bother me, but as the grammar nazi in me grew, I found it incredibly annoying.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:47 am
Lady Silvra
I'm quite accustomed to people who type like children(what with playing MapleStory for a couple of months), but I can't stand people who just over do their typing(LETZ BE FRIENDZ LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!1).

... Although, I tend to act like those stupid individuals whenever I'm with my friends and we're overly excited. xD It's funny because it's pathetic.

I agree completly I have played maplestory for a few months and its fun to type like that.
Anyways off of topic there were two smegas on maplestory. (A smega is something everyone can see in the server.)
One person said: My mum alwyz told me life is leik a box of choclates =)
Someone with the in game name "Life"
:No i'm not... Besides you totally fail at me.
Did anyone other to me find that to be the biggest coincidence EVER?
I mean for someone to have the name life and still play maplestory and buy nx (Real money) And be online at that time and have a smega.
The chances of that are REALLY low. o:  

SuperScott78

Pink Rain Today

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:48 am
Well, in the situation mention as using "rawr" as opposed to "rar" it's a style of writing so that the reader can figure out EXACTLY what you sound like.

I admit to using "teh" and 'FTW" among other phrases and words because I like how they sound, and it's part of how I speak.

I don't find what you did "cute" in any manner, and arousing? I think that you are digging a little too deeply into this. I don't asuume at all that people who type like that and don't exercise intelligence are smart enough to plan such things.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff