Reply Newcomers
What to Wear and Questions on Wars

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tyr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:53 pm
I'm still a bit unsure of what all is needed to make a complete outfit. lol How to phrase this? Say I had sewn a skirt. Then over that I would need someting like a chemise, yes? Then.. a tunic over that..? Or something of that sort? I'm very much lost^^;

And about wars.. This may be silly to ask, but what exactly happens? I know people fight (it's in the title^^; ), but how do they get food? And shower and stuff? Does everyone camp at the site or do some people use hotel rooms?

Thanks!^^  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:20 pm
ooooh.... the garb question will take a while... Unless someone else can answer it shortly, I'll try to tackle it later.

as to wars... They're camping events that last for a few days to even two weeks (as in Pennsic). Most people bring tents and camp on site, but some use hotel rooms nearby. The actual battle (or battles) usually happens on a field throughout the day, and involves combat between two or more Kingdoms. There are also usually classes (such as dancing, calligraphy, sewing, history, etc.), merchants (clothing, wares, swords, food, etc.), and court. In the evenings you'll find bardic circles (singing, story telling, etc.), people playing games, the occasional dance ball, sometimes a torchlight tournament, and of course parties, complete with drinks, bonfires, and belly dancers!

Not all camping events are this big and eventful, though...

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

Tyr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:30 pm
Ha ha, garb continues to intimidate me ^.~;

How do sleeping arrangements work? Like.. So, you make a camp fire and set up your tent near it. Do other set up their tents around the same camp fire? I'm trying to imagine it all lol^^; Someone I know invited me to one of our wars (Highlands War ^_^ ) and I'm trying to prepare myself so I'm not too shocked when I get there LOL  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:28 pm
Tyr
Ha ha, garb continues to intimidate me ^.~;

How do sleeping arrangements work? Like.. So, you make a camp fire and set up your tent near it. Do other set up their tents around the same camp fire? I'm trying to imagine it all lol^^; Someone I know invited me to one of our wars (Highlands War ^_^ ) and I'm trying to prepare myself so I'm not too shocked when I get there LOL

lol... it's not actually that difficult to put together some simple period clothing, but the SCA spans 1000 years and many different countries. That makes for a LOT of different styles and such. This just makes it a little difficult to say, "start with this, then you need this..."

At most camping events, the camping areas are divided into three main sections: royalty, loud, and quiet. You can find out at Troll (the gate) where all these sections are located. If you're a morning person, camp in the quiet section. If you like to party till dawn, camp in the loud. Just drive around in the section you want and find a flat, empty space. If there are people already around there, just ask them if they mind you setting up there. If it's rather crowded, you may have to share the fire. If that's the case, just practice general camping niceties and offer to help buy firewood and such. Otherwise, you can probably have your own campfire, depending on site rules. It's all pretty flexible, and I'm sure your friend who invited you can help get you oriented.

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

Tyr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:31 pm
Ah, I see^^ At our last fighter's practise, they said just make a bunch of tunics-dress things lol. Then you're covered. So I think I'll just make a bunch of ankle-length tunic-dress thingies^^; Tunic-dress thingies, that sounds educated^.~

Mm. Coolios^^ My friend said that his camp was 'fairly family oriented' whatever that means^^; It's probably in the quiet section though, 'cause he mentioned going off and partying in other camps lol.

How are showers and such handled? My friend said they were still trying to get a hold of some for his camp. I'm guessing they're portable then..? LOL I haven't gone camping much even mundanely, so I have no clue how this is done^^;

Thanks for all your information so far!^_^ I appreciate it!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:23 am
Tyr
Ah, I see^^ At our last fighter's practise, they said just make a bunch of tunics-dress things lol. Then you're covered. So I think I'll just make a bunch of ankle-length tunic-dress thingies^^; Tunic-dress thingies, that sounds educated^.~

Hey, that works. You'll at least have something appropriate to wear until you figure out what you really like.

Showers.... that all depends on the campsite itself. Some places already have them, some don't. Some are pay showers, some aren't. Some groups (such as the barony I live in) even have their own make-shift portable showers that they can set up at any camping event. You might be able to find out about all that at the event website. If you can't, just shoot the autocrat (coordinator) of the event an e-mail.

No prob on the info... I enjoy being helpful when I can!!
mrgreen  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

Loke_Deedrich

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:05 pm
i'm wondering, i was at the three towers encampment last year and had leather chestpiece and plated belt. latter that year i upgraded to lorica segmentata for a chestpiece, what other pieces would you reccomend for that garb in heavy armored combat? what pieces to protect the joints and an appropriate helmet?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:49 pm
anyone?  

Loke_Deedrich

Koosei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:17 am
*also has questions about general garb* is there a general pattern available to use for making some garb? I don't have a persona yet, but I'm desperately in need of my own garb to wear to Tavern Night and other events  
Newcomers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games