Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Literature
Twilight Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How was Twilight?
  Good story
  Retarded
  Didn't read it
  A bit dry but overall good
View Results

blueyes10k

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:50 pm
I thought it was a good storyline, however, it was an easy read.

I think it is meant to get teens who hate to read to start reading.

New Moon was better, though. I think it was a bit more complex.

Thoughts?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:36 am
I feel a bit guilty posting before I have finished the book, but I want to throw my two cents in. I think that you have the right idea of things, and I am hoping that New Moon inspires more in me. It really feels like an easy read, and a bit stereotypical. It lacks the interest of a truely unique novel. I'm almost worried about finishing now. I hate to be dissapointed.  

Rutoh-Chan

Cherished Strawberries

950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:32 pm
Twilight had a pretty good storyline, I think, but it hardly went anywhere. New Moon was much better, but Bella is still such a wimpy, weak, main character. I say that Edward is a better main character, or even Jacob. But Bella disappoints me throughout both books. She's so helpless. xp  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:56 pm
Twilight was a good book. It wasn't the greatest book I've ever read but up there. It just made me angry that Meyer didn't describe anything about the fight with James. It was just approx. one sentence of "oh he's dead" and that was it.  

she_died_smiling

Naturally-Obsessive

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:14 am
I, personally, thought Twilight was very good. I was dissappointed in New Moon from the lack of Edward. I've been told to reread it to see how her relationship with Jacob grows. But, alas, I do not own the book and its growing popularity within my class has made it unavailable at the library. I am impatiently awaiting August 7th because I'm going to the Eclipse booksigning.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:28 am
greenrider_calidar
Twilight had a pretty good storyline, I think, but it hardly went anywhere. New Moon was much better, but Bella is still such a wimpy, weak, main character. I say that Edward is a better main character, or even Jacob. But Bella disappoints me throughout both books. She's so helpless. xp

I totally agree. Bella is far too weak of a main character. But isn't there something on the Twilight webpage that says something about a book from Edward's point of view? I remember someone telling me that, but I can't find the URL to go there and check it out for myself. (My book is with a friend, who hasn't given it back yet.... sweatdrop )  

Thee Alchemyst

6,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100

Naturally-Obsessive

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:03 pm
If you go to stepheniemeyer.com it's under her....*trys to remember the sub-category*...I think it's something like "Other Books." It's called Midnight Sun  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:41 pm
I thought it was pretty good, but the whole

"I <3 you, Bella, however, I am A DEADLY BLOOD SUCKING FIEND!"

400 pages later...

"I <3 you Bella, however, I am a DEADLY BLOOD SUCKING FIEND!"

Thing got a little old after five hundred pages. That And the fact that about 250/500 pages were spent talking about how sexy Edward was and about 10 were spent on actual plot (Which this novel suspiciously lacked)  

Miss Opie

Rutoh-Chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:59 am
Having read all three of the books at this point I have to say that Twilight felt like the best to me. The other two felt like they had a more distinctive plot, but the first one felt like the characters were the most real. I have to say, all the "I am bloodsucking fiend!" did really annoy me as well, but the part I really hated was how immature Jacob was about everything. And I mean everything. The end of Eclipse made me want to kill him.

But still, they are right now my favorite series. Not the best of all time, but definitely a good series overall.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:46 pm
greenrider_calidar

I think her weakness is the whole main point , though. If she was not weak and helpless , there would be no point in Jacob and Edward protecting her, thus , ruining the storyline. Plus if Bella were strong and needed no helping , it would be like any normal story and there would be no tension, no severity. In any case , Bella being weak and helpless makes for a very well thought out story, is she were not , there would be no need to have all the Vampires and Werewolves, because she would not need theyre strength. Im not really sure if you meant she was physically weak or if her stroyline in perticular was weak but either way, in my veiw ner story line , thus he character, is one of the strongest in the series . Although i think it stands out more when she aces it up in New Moon , and the severity of her importabce definatley increases in Eclipse.

~That is ... in my opinion  

niqi_mo

Cevadeva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:03 pm
I think that the Twilight series is pretty good. Although I actually like the third book is the best of the series so far. I can't really say that I dislike New Moon and Twilight, but I can't say that I like them either. I'm actually looking forward to reading the next couple books, where it's Twilight in Edwards point of view and New Moon in Jacob's point of view.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:05 pm
A fairly good plot line, with good characters and relationships, but, as you said, an easy read. I agree with you that it was probably meant to get people started into reading, and I did like new moon better. I agree that it was slightly more complex than the other. All in all, it a a very good series, and one of my favorites. A good plot, fairly easy to understand, and, of course, there's the relationships that we all love.^^  

xXgoth_girl12Xx

Emilem

Quotable Dabbler

6,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Generous 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:50 am
"...and who are we to be but kings...
Funny.
I'm reading Twilight right this second in Computers class.
Page 123.
Bella just met Jacob Black at the beach trip.

So far, I love it.
It's very well written.
I haven't lost interest yet.
That's a big deal for me.
I lose interest easily with books, because there's alot of VERY shitty authors out there.
..in this noble game of chess?..."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:24 pm
Personally, I found Twilight interesting as it lasted, but I read it in 12 hours(including breaks), and finishing the book left me dry. I actually found Bella to be an extremely irritating character, and more interested in Edward's body rather than him. I figured out that I disliked her when I found myself smiling every time she got in trouble, but getting upset when she didn't quite die or something. I didn't find the characters quite believable. And I did hate that whole 'el oh elz, I be a vampeer, phear meh!' that happened every, oh, few minutes at my reading speed(And the fact that I've written it in imitation leet means I was really upset by it).

All in all, though, the book was likable. Dry, but overall OK.

xXBisexual FlanXx

Dapper Genius

Nicholas Kaze

Friendly Prophet

16,625 Points
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:34 pm
I quite like the series as a whole, or how everything has ended up, so to speak. I was impressed by how Stephanie Meyer managed to morph Bella into a vampire without making her someone totally new- she was still Bella, she was just Bella-empowered. It was a fascinating ending. Even if you don't like the series, you'd have to agree that Steph has done great things for the world of literature by reinterpreting vampires as a whole. She has pretty much single-handedly brought a whole new vampire genre into being.

If nothing else, you have to admire that.  
Literature

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff