Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Cheongsams?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Certiorari

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:18 pm
Are the patterns easy to work with,I'm going to have be using one and I looked at the sizing chart and was utterly confused.So if anyone has worked with cheongsam and knows how to convert the sizes to mens that'd be dandy.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:16 am
After reading this post I did a little research and realized what I thought was a cheongsam is actually a qipao (the female style of this garment).

It appears that this misconception is very wide-spread, so your pattern is probably written for a qipao. The major modifications you'll need to make are to widen the neck, shoulders, sleeves, and arm holes. Additionally, you won't need the waist shaping, so choose the bust measurement that fits you and eliminate any darts or shaping in the waist. I would also allow a bit of ease because the male cheongsams I'm seeing do not appear to be fitted like the female qipaos. I'd recommend chosing a bust measurement 1-2 inches wider than your actual measurement if you're using a stiff fabric and 0.5-1 inches wider if your fabric has a lot of drape.

I should add a disclaimer that I am not a seamstress, so all of these recommendations are based on general principles of garment construction as seen by a knitter.

Good luck, and be sure to keep us updated!  

Tinuvial

Certiorari

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:28 pm
Well you see the character Im making this for has fitting in the waist area.And as far as fabric choice,i'm going with cotton interlock which doesnt have too much drape though.

Here he is.

Second row,2nd or 3rd pattern  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:18 pm
Got the pattern,and Im two sizes in the small,a size in the medium,and a size in the 2XL.I should probably cut in the medium to be sure,but what about that 2XL? How should I cut the pattern pieces?  

Certiorari

Kanhoro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:40 pm

if you are unsure on how to cut the pattern pieces or want to practice, you can either use newspaper or muslin before as a test cutout.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:03 am
Momo wants it to be Halloween already,
I was looking at those patterns and you'd actually probably have better luck and be more accurate to your cosplay if you used their chinese jacket pattern.
And you should too...

Chaotic_Mind

4,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items