Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
Peeves of the Path

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Want more topics relating to spiritual development?
  YES!
  Not really...
  Apathetic option
View Results

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:11 am
This topic is geared to get you thinking about your own religious and spiritual development based somewhat on an idea voiced by podcast I listen to regularly. This isn't what I would consider a basic introspective topic, but for those of you who feel you can make use of it and have relatively confident footing in your path, you might find this useful. You don't have to post your responses if you don't feel comfortable doing so. wink

Peeves of the Path

Things in the world can be annoying to us sometimes. Most of us accept this as an inevitable fact of life. We find an idea we disagree with, a person who just gets on our nerves, or something else in the world that we think needs fixing. Some of these things lie within our own spiritual and religious paths. Maybe the fact some people spell magic with a 'k' on the end really gets on your nerves? Your peeve might be the stick-in-the-mud attitude of the 'Hard Gards' with their exclusivist definition of Wicca. Or perhaps the fact that correspondence tables are never really explained drives you nuts?

arrow What are some of the things in the Neopagan path or community that just drive you nuts sometimes? Make a list.
arrow Take a look at that list you just made. Why is it that these things bother you?

It has been said by one more experienced in the Neopagan paths than myself that you can evaluate a person's spiritual and religious maturity by what they fuss about. While I think one aught to be cautious in such judgements, at the very least it is a reflection of where you are on your path right now and what issues are important to you.

arrow Take another look at that list. Do you see any patterns relating to the things that bug you? Do most of these items nitpick the facts, history, theology, metaphysics... what?
arrow Are these things you fuss about the same as what is most important to you in your spiritual development? If not, why do you think you fuss over it?
arrow How do you think your list may or may not reflect your spiritual maturity on different issues? Be honest with yourself.

If you like, others can also take a look at your lists and perhaps give you some additional suggestions or things to think about. If you would prefer to not have this sort of input, please make that known in your post or do this exercise in your own journal. Please be respectful. Hope you learn something about where you are on your path and what's important to you from this exercise!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:25 pm
A lot of them seem more new age than anything else.

I mean, it's cool. I love incense and crystals as much as the next girl who likes incense and crystals. But, you know, trying to start a conversation with one who claims being pagan about their religious beliefs, it makes you wonder if they've ever stepped outside of the new age section at Barnes and Nobel.
x _x

Or ones that claim patron dieties that... don't know them.

"I hope me and my boyfriend end up like Hera and Zeus. I mean, they're married and they love each other and they totally are like the most perfect couple ever!"

D: Someone's actually sad that to me and we ended up in a sortof argument over it.
It ended by me throwing a couple of Greek mythology books at them.

And she changed her mind.
rolleyes

I think it's sortof a lack of knowledge that bugs me the most. Inner and outer knowledge. You can know all the facts and figures about a subject, but it's not all books and facts and figures.

I want to know. I want to experience and have that sort of knowledge. I like people who know things, both spiritual and mundane, inner and outer, who know they don't know everything, and can't, but try.
But it's people who don't put out the inner/outer effort to understand why or what or who or whatever that mostly get on my nerves.

o _o;  

Jezehbelle

Boadicia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:43 pm
I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that conversation. If I had a husband like Zeus, I'd go Loreena Bobbitt on him in the blink of an eye. twisted

One thing that bugs me are pagans who can't tell fantasy from reality. I do believe that the mind definitely has control over the body and can create wondrous things to happen, including seemingly inhuman feats of strength and endurance. However, I've run into way too many "pagans" who think they're extras from Dragonball Z (like throwing chi balls and the such). Then there was the girl who conveniently had pass life regressions when she wasn't the center of everyone's lifes. Being guilty by association, I feel that they make it that much harder for me to be taken seriously by other pagans. Discerning who can really do something special and who's trying to con me is something I'm sure most pagans can identify with.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:59 pm
I get annoyed with the reputation of the path. I live in a predominantly Mormon community... all the pagans have been harrassed so much that no one comes out of the closet! Its frustrating because I want to be a part of a community.

-Teshia  

serbus

GrayRayn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:23 pm
i think part of what i hate most i the know-it-alls, part the reason i joined this guild was b/c of a person i my norse guild who is a know it all, he is from sweden but studying in iceland and think everything he says is right. that his texts make him an authority. what i hate most is him username, Miniar, wich to me is a little too close to Mimir the norse god of knowlage. it might seem like its differnt but with the way he spells the other norse gods names...  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games