Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Smilies amongst words...Trend or tragedy? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dreaming in the Theatre

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:15 am
Quote:
LAWLZ, thatz liik soooxD funni. roflmaoD:

Obviously a bad sentence, agreed? How about this one:

Quote:
Haha biggrin that's funny, mad D really I :O can't breathe anymore! ha biggrin haha.

Is this a bad sentence?

Personally, it really annoys me when people use smilies a lot. As if in, every other word, at the end of every sentence all the time!

I myself use smilies, but generally only at the end of sentences, or when "hahaha" does not suffice.

Quote:

That's a good one. xD

I find that overusing smilies--particularily those to the left of your response form on Gaia or on AIM particularily frustrating. To me, they're just aesthetically unpleasing!

Does anyone else feel this way?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:48 am
Hmm. Overusing smileys does ruin a decent conversation/post for me. But if that's how the other person wishes to express themselves, then I can't really stop them, now can I? confused  

Patron with a Mission

Tezur

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:50 pm
vindicated_angel
Quote:
LAWLZ, thatz liik soooxD funni. roflmaoD:

Obviously a bad sentence, agreed? How about this one:

Quote:
Haha biggrin that's funny, mad D really I :O can't breathe anymore! ha biggrin haha.

Is this a bad sentence?

Personally, it really annoys me when people use smilies a lot. As if in, every other word, at the end of every sentence all the time!

I myself use smilies, but generally only at the end of sentences, or when "hahaha" does not suffice.

Quote:

That's a good one. xD

I find that overusing smilies--particularily those to the left of your response form on Gaia or on AIM particularily frustrating. To me, they're just aesthetically unpleasing!

Does anyone else feel this way?

I tend to use one or two, not overdo it, as long as I can still type out a sentence. razz  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:06 pm
I like smilies, but not when they're used like this.

Quote:
scream scream scream LAWLALWALW GIV M3 MUNEEZ rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl PLZZZZZZZ GV MUNEEZ N ITMS LOLOLOL eek eek eek eek xp xp xp xp rofl rofl rofl rofl

CristoVII

Feather Kana

Sparkly Spirit

18,725 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:29 pm
I use them occassionally, but almost never more than two per post--and I am often noted for my long posts. They do NOT belong in the middle of a sentence!

They're best in moderation, that is all. Just like when I'll use "lol" once in a while when on IM.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:51 am
I'd go for one allowed in a short post, such as most people had up here. Beginning and end of sentances only. Mind you, having said that I suppose I have to earn up to early behaviour in some OoC threads. One of the ones that I remember was something like: "Then David came out of the changing rooms in this freaking pink bikini and everyone was sort of eek but I suppose that's to be expected." Sometimes it's just easier to use one pointed emoticon than to type out a description of, for example, people's shock.

Artwra

l3viathan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:02 am
Sometimes I never use smilies, and at other times I do. It all depends on my mood. Sometimes I use them if I'm more content, or if I'm nervous, I use them more. I may use them a lot at those times, but I wouldn't use them in between sentences, unless at rare times, but it would only be one smiley and in ( )'s.

(Oh, and I'm still around. Sorry that I haven't posted here much. I have been quite busy, and had a lot of things coming up, as well as a lot of things on my mind lately. )

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:50 am
I, personally, hate the smilies.
All but two or three of them.
I'm more of a "Txt fac" person.
Such as: XD
I normally have one in every post, but never in the middle of a sentence.

I hate evil it when people stressed use smiles blaugh in the middle of a sentence. crying crying crying
Or when there's more than two next to each other.
([Sorry, it was tempting.
I saw a post like that before in a literate thread.
And it was a serious post.])

It drives me insane.
><#

Emilem

Quotable Dabbler

6,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Generous 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Bug Q Dlestra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:54 pm
I typically only use them at the end of a statement. If they're used tastefully, they can impart a tone to your text, making chats more conversational.

E.g. "I totally know what you mean. wink " The wink probably indicates sarcasm in this case.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:20 pm
In my opinion, it's acceptable if the ratio is 1 for every 25 words typed out or less. If theres one every 5 words it's just way too annoying. talk2hand  

psychoyoshi

Winter Nightroad

Newbie Entrepreneur

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:40 pm
Zweite
I like smilies, but not when they're used like this.

Quote:
scream scream scream LAWLALWALW GIV M3 MUNEEZ rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl PLZZZZZZZ GV MUNEEZ N ITMS LOLOLOL eek eek eek eek xp xp xp xp rofl rofl rofl rofl

Exactly. It's annoying to get a PM like this:

Quote:
give me goldz crying crying crying crying crying im poor crying crying help me plz so i wont be poor crying crying crying crying crying crying

And it is especially annoying when they use crying .  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:37 pm
I agree that emoticons are incredibly annoying when overused. However, I also feel that sometimes they are necessary to quickly give the reader an idea of what you're trying to get across as well. Often there isn't enough context to convey tone of the post sufficiently, which can cause some confusion when the person meant to be serious, humorous or sarcastic. Furthermore (as I think someone else mentioned) it does seem to make the posts more conversational, rather than formal.  

nimuemelpomene

Love Shatters Windows

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:43 pm
Hm....just wondering, does anyone ever use ' mrgreen ' ?

But anyways. Yes, smiles are annoying when overused. But In OOC, nah, it's fine (or at least to me anyways xd ).

I usually only use them when speaking 'out of character' in roleplays, for it actually knocks down your 'literacy points' (if you know what I mean). It makes you seem more immature and overrated if you give a really long post, bt use a lot of 'fillers' (ie - smilies.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:24 am
If I ever use smilies while posting, I always just leave them at the end of my statements and sentences, completely out of the text. And I do agree; emotes in sentences is very irritating.  

Soujiroh Nishikado

Kairi_12

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:58 pm
I hate when people do this too. I also use smilies, but only when I really want express a certain feeling that I couldn't without one. You know what I mean?  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff