Welcome to Gaia! ::

The FIRST Shojo Beat Guild

Back to Guilds

Come visit us at The Shojo Beat Guild and talk about everything the magazine has to offer: Manga, Artists, J-music, and more!!! 

Tags: Shojo, Beat, Magazine, Tankoban, Girls 

Reply .: Dance to the Beat :: The Manga Forum :.
Alice 19th

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kel aka gandy
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:11 pm
User Image
1 :: Story
2 :: Creator
3 :: Volumes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:12 pm
Story

Alice Seno seems like a normal girl in high school. She's a bit shy, she's got a crush on a boy named Kyô, and she's got an older sister who is more popular than she is...pretty normal stuff, until Alice has an encounter with a mysterious and magical rabbit girl that changes the course of her life, and Alice is introduced to the sublime power of the Lotis Words.

kel aka gandy
Captain

kel aka gandy
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:16 pm
Creator

Yuu Watase was born on March 5 in a town near Osaka, Japan, and she was raised there before moving to Tokyo to follow her dream of creating manga. In the decade since her debut short story, Pajama de Ojama (An Intrusion in Pajamas), she has produced more than 50 compiled volumes of short stories and continuing series. Her works have provided the basis for two television series, an OVA series, anime soundtrack CDs, and a string of novels.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:23 pm
Volumes
Status in Japan :: complete at 7 volumes
Status in US :: 7/7 released

User Image
Volume 1: The Lotis Master
Alice Seno is a seemingly shy and meek girl who always seems to be outshined by her older sister Mayura. One day, Alice has an encounter with a mysterious and magical rabbit girl, and her life is turned upside down. Alice discovers that certain words have power, and that she has the potential to be master of a set of sublimely powerful words called the Lotis Words. But power always comes with a price, and the price may turn out to be Alice's sister Mayura...

User Image
Volume 2: Inner Heart
Kyô Wakamiya joins Alice Seno's endeavor to save her sister, Mayura, from the darkness. From out of nowhere, a mysterious handsome man named Frei appears to claim Alice as his fiancée and he too, offers his support to save Mayura. All three of them have the potential to be great Lotis Masters, but will even their combined power be enough to save Mayura from the dark nether world that she is trapped in?

User Image
Volume 3: Chained
Jealous of Alice and Kyô's feeling for each other, Mayura embraces the forces of the dark nether world she is trapped in and ventures to use the negative power of the Maram Words. Sibling rivalry reaches new heights when the Seno sisters are pitted against each other armed with the power of words!

User Image
Volume 4: Unrequited Love
Jealousy makes the heart grow darker and Mayura's envy of Alice and Kyô's developing relationship makes her vulnerable to being devoured by Darva, dark mistress of the Maram words. Neo Lotis Masters, Alice and Kyô are the only ones who have even a chance against Darva, but are they strong enough to go up against this most formidable of enemies?

User Image
Volume 5: Jealousy
Alice's sister, Mayura Seno, is under the control of Darva, dark mistress of the Maram Words--and Alice and Kyô Wakamiya are the only two people who have a chance of saving her from the dark side! Can they become masters of the Lotis Words in time to save her? With Mayura's power over the Maram words rapidly growing stronger, it seems almost all hope is lost...until Alice and Kyô meet some powerful new allies!

User Image
Volume 6: Blindness
New allies Mei Lin and Billy come to the aid of Alice, Kyô, Nyozeka, Frey, and Chris in their fight against the dark forces of Mara. Together, they continue the struggle to save Alice's sister Mayura from her entanglement with Darva, who is evil incarnate. To reach Mayura, Alice must understand what her sister felt when she succumbed to the Mara, and the young Lotis Masters learn that they cannot be blind to the darkness even in their own hearts!

User Image
Volume 7: The Lost Word
Alice is desperate to rescue her sister Mayura, who has been ensnared by the embodiment of evil called Darva. In defiance of Nyozeka's warnings, Alice and the other young Lotis Masters enter Darva's stronghold before having found the Lost Word. Alice's true love, Kyô, comes under attack, it's up to Alice to save both him and Mayura with the power of the Lotis. When it seems that all hope is lost, Nyozeka makes a brave sacrifice to help Alice. You won't want to miss the powerful conclusion of Alice 19th!

kel aka gandy
Captain

Asano Rain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:15 pm
I will admit that this is not one of my most favorite manga by Watase-sensei. Their characterizations however (especially Seno Alice herself... I just love the way the relationship between her and her big sis Mayura is portrayed), is still among her best. It's more or less my disinterest in mahou shoujo manga that is keeping this from being higher up in my list of favorite titles.

But damn those covers look pretty bad... Did Viz really have to add all that white to the title font? It looks like someone stuck a big sticker on the artwork to obscure more of it than necessary. Small but irksome pet peeve. ^^;  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:09 pm
I really like this series! Probably because I can really relate to Alice. Most of Yuu Watase's characters are much more fiery, but Alice is gentle, and has a low confidence...For some reason, I find that make her a very appealing character.

Not to mention, Yuu Watase's works are always hilarious...  

Rune WolfHaven

Meroko Senpai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:43 pm
I enjoyed this series as well. You think there's any chance it would be licensed as an anime? I found the manga after watching (and loving) Fushigi Yugi and Ayashi no Ceres. ~m  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:35 am
Meroko Senpai
I enjoyed this series as well. You think there's any chance it would be licensed as an anime? I found the manga after watching (and loving) Fushigi Yugi and Ayashi no Ceres. ~m

I certainly wish it would be made into an anime, but since it hasn't by now, it's most likely that it won't happen. :[

kel aka gandy
Captain

cherryblossomgirlsakura

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:25 am
I really loved this manga (and practically every of Yuu Watase's works). I think this was my first ever completed manga

Alice, Kyo and Frey were my fave characers in this series so I'm glad that it had a happy ending  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:49 pm
i finished a month or two ago. i loved it. Chris, Alice , Frey, and Kyo were my favorite. it actually turned me on to more of her work like ayashi no ceres. i hated Mayura threw alomost the whole thing. xp  

Aqua Blue Angel

rosed_ruby

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:24 am
I love Alice 19th >_< I reread it over 20 times. It is a great book.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:01 pm
Frey is super gorgeous lol

I borrowed this series from a friend this summer, and loved it heart The art is gorgeous, the setup interesting (especially the 'Alice in Wonderland' allusions), and the characters and their relationships to each other intriguing. My only disappointment was that, towards the end, it began to fall into typical fantasy manga tropes. I liked the series a lot more in the beginning (particularly the first two volumes).

If and when I ever get enough money to pay off college, then I will buy this series. I NEED to buy this series. This, and Absolute Boyfriend.

maple_chan

3,550 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200

kel aka gandy
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:26 pm
maple_chan
If and when I ever get enough money to pay off college, then I will buy this series. I NEED to buy this series. This, and Absolute Boyfriend.

It was the first series I bought all of (I had a few random volumes of Sailor Moon otherwise). :3  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:29 pm
kel aka gandy
maple_chan

It was the first series I bought all of (I had a few random volumes of Sailor Moon otherwise). :3

Fun!

The first manga I ever bought was Wedding Peach: Young Love. It's a one-shot version of the Wedding Peach manga, aimed a younger audience, and it's super adorable whee I have a soft spot for magical girl stories... It's actually a Viz Shoujo title, but it came out before the line "Shojo Beat" was established.

maple_chan

3,550 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
.: Dance to the Beat :: The Manga Forum :.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games