Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Nina has been possessed! FINISHED Witch's Robes Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What color should the trim be?
  blue
  purple
  red
  green
  yellow
  poll whore
View Results

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:34 pm
I must have been possessed to attempt a project like this.

First off, I'm in Canada, and on top of that I don't have half of my supplies (like black thread, though I do have navy blue, or sewing shears, or pins, or...). And I am not a sewer. Not a bit. As the username implies, I am a knitter. I like yarn.

But, nonetheless, I am trying to make witches robes.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The triangles on the sides are panels to make it more billowy. There's actually going to be two panels on each side (they still need to be trimmed down a little). I'm also going to add smaller, similar panels to the sleeves (I adore belled sleeves).

So in this thread I will show you all progress so you can laugh your little tails off, as well as randomly come screaming "Help! HELP! I screwed something up again!!"

Edit: if the picture won't show up, click here.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:01 pm
Nina, your wonderful pictures aren't showing up... *sniffles*  

Silver Mist

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:22 pm
I think it's just Gaia. All of my pictures have been kind of arbitrary lately. Eventually, they'll show up.

Oh, and did I mention I have to hand sew the entire thing?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:38 pm
That sounds like fun! Definently post some pics of the finished product.

I went the opposite way, I started a sewer and then fell in love with yarn later.  

caffinated_tulip

Ska Hippie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:23 am
AAAAHHHH! How awesome of you!!! biggrin
I can't wait to see more pics!!! blaugh

I will know your pain relatively soon, because I'm planning on making a bit of an outfit that will have to be completely hand-sewn. Much luck to ya!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:55 am
Well, last night I managed to sew up the billowy panels, which took only about an hour and a half. I didn't realize how low I was on thread though; half my spool is showing gonk I'll have to run out to the dollar store to get some more thread (black this time).

Normally when I do big projects on this, I use a variation on running stitch--I just weave the needle in and out in tiny stitches, with a couple of back stitches every four inches or so, which saves time, thread, and hassle. For some reason, this material won't let me do that (it's just cotton quilting material, because that's all I could afford. The one I originally wanted was 19.50$ a meter), so it's back stitching all the way. Oh well, I guess it'll hold up better.

I think tonight I'll start sewing the panels into the body of the robe, but that may get put off until tomorrow. I'm putting off the sleeves, because I always have trouble sewing sleeves on so that they don't look funny (one of the reasons I don't make many sweaters). Suggestions are welcome.

I did angle the body end of the sleeve a bit, rather than just making it a tube. After examining some of my shirts, I realized the shoulder part was a little more triangular than I initially thought. Still, suggestions are welcome.  

knitting_needle_ninja

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:54 pm
I sewed the billow panel into the right side this afternoon. This project is really going much faster than I had anticipated, but I also know that the easy part is almost over.

Here are some pictures so that you can see the "finished" side, versus the open side.

Front
Right
Left

Those weird lines are part of the mirror. It's seperate pieces that are mounted on the wall. My only other option was medicine cabinet, and it was just too small.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:39 pm
The construction if the body is complete. I just have the sleeves to deal with now, plus the trim and the hem. Vote on trim color! I'm thinking I might just get some 1" ribbon and sew that on, save myself the trouble of hemming. I was also thinking of adding some white lace at the sleeves and hem, but I'm worried it might be too much. What do you think? Vote!

Do these robes make me look fat?

Nah, it's all fluff!  

knitting_needle_ninja

caffinated_tulip

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:12 pm
What sort of accessories are you going to be doing with these robes? Thats the color of trim you should use. Either that or Silver/Gold depending on which you preferr (I like silver)

Very nice work! Hand sewing is a b***h and a half  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:35 pm
whee

Made the sleeves while watching downloads of Ghost Hunters. Going to sew them on tomorrow. I think I'm getting blisters on my fingers....  

knitting_needle_ninja

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:33 am
Its looking awesome ^^ I normally hem anything before trimming it, but then again, I have a nice machine at beck and call, sooo....

I say either purple or silver trim, btb. Both would look awesome.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:45 am
I say a Red -Purple combination for the trim would be cool....  

gingin929

gingin929

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:47 am
If you do put lace on the sleeves use black lace not white... that would be a bit too much I think or even match yoru lace to the color of trim that you choose...  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:14 pm
At present I'm thinking purple velvet ribbon with silver edging, if I can find it.

I think that if I do lace, I'll do it 17th century style--the long, fluffy kind, like in the French revolution outfits Gaia has.

Hell, if I can find a good pattern and some black crochet thread, I might even make it myself. biggrin  

knitting_needle_ninja

Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces