Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Craft Storage

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Storage?
  Storage? What storage? WIPs are eating my home!
  I have no stash and only small WIPS- storage isnt an issue.
  Baskets. Lots of Baskets.
  Oh, the Clamaity!!! (aka- something else)
View Results

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:43 am
My mom and I have thought long and hard lately on how to store all my stuff. Not the unused yarn, etc- thats all in drawers. We finally settled on buying a new set of book shelves for the computer room, as we needed more space to store all my books. We're going to buy to of those supper cute cloth bins- one for my current WIPs and one for my Moms WIPs.

( I'm so proud of my mom, shes finally started back into counting cross stitch, etc again. ^^ Now, to get her knitting again. ^^)

So- the question here is, how do you store both your stash and your WIPs?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:08 am
My stash isn't that big. Luckily, I have no idea what i'd do with a big stash right now. XD But I have one of these that I use to organize everything. top drawer is for patterns, hooks, needles (knitting a sewing), it's also holding the illusion scarf WIP. second drawer has my tank top WIP, my granny square blanket WIP, and some random yarn, and the third drawer has all the rest of my yarn. :3  

Kitsaria

Beloved Friend

5,400 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:16 am
Like Gensei, my yarn stash is not that big. I bought a foldable box at the Dollar Store and use that to hold my yarn. However, my MANGA stash is rather overwhelming me. I might need to buy another bookcase. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:41 am
XD My stash is eating my bedroom.

And it's not my fault. Really.

A few years ago, I inherited two big black trash bags full of acrylic yarn (Stuff like bernat, red heart, that kind of stuff. Initially, there were four, but I donated some to my old 4-H club to use for craft projects). Most of it is stashed around my bed--I have a water bed, so there's a gap around two sides of my bed that's about eight inches wide and a foot and a half deep. Most of that space is filled with yarn, except where it's near an electical outlet.

My books are in double rows on my shelves, and they're all over my desk (I have huge roll top that is almost as big as my full-size water bed. Needless to say, I hardly have space to walk in my bedroom.

I'm kind of a**l about my manga. I have them stacked by series, because there's no longer room to stand them up, and I fill the gaps with yarn. I also have three large cheese puff jars (the giant plastic ones you get at Sam's club) filled with yarn. One corner of my room, that weird gap where two shelves meet? That's all full of yarn.

Right now, most of my stuff is in boxes. I had to move out of my apartment into my parent's house for the summer, until I can sign a new lease, so I have two bedrooms worth of craft supplies, books, and yarn. I litterally have floor to ceiling boxes all over! Help!

*is crushed by falling boxes of manga and yarn* DX  

knitting_needle_ninja

AuroraGoryAlice

4,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:02 pm
I have a couple of methods going on. I have a computer table that had a computer on it at one point. Then I moved in with my husband (boyfriend at the time), and we had dueling computers and computer desks for years, then his computer died and I bought him a brand new one and then mine died and then we decided to share. So then I had a computer desk but no computer. So I did what I do best, which was to start thinking of what I can turn it into and the answer was my little curiosities corner. biggrin

I have a lot of my crafting supplies in the little nooks and crannies that are supposed to be for holding books and cds, and theres a cabinet built in, that's filled with crafting stuff.

My very first knitting project was this scarf that ended up being like 3 times too wide for human use, so I took some of my old swatches, sewed them onto the scarf like pockets, and then attached the scarf to the opening on the back of the desk. Instant pretty knitted wallpaper with handy storage pockets for darning needles, yarn scraps, point protectors, measuring tape, whatever!

I have lots of action figures sitting on top of it and assorted anime and videogame posters hanging all around. Its literally my little corner of the house.

I also have a thing that is like a garment bag, but it can hold a TON of crafting stuff and it hangs in the closet. I have a huge tackle box too. Not to mention all the assorted bags hanging out everywhere with my knitting in them.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:22 pm
AuroraGoryAlice

My very first knitting project was this scarf that ended up being like 3 times too wide for human use, so I took some of my old swatches, sewed them onto the scarf like pockets, and then attached the scarf to the opening on the back of the desk. Instant pretty knitted wallpaper with handy storage pockets for darning needles, yarn scraps, point protectors, measuring tape, whatever!

That's just too awesome!! biggrin

Well, in our office in our apartment, my bf has his half of the room (computer desk covered in action figures & comic books), & I have my half (meditation spot, desk) & we share the doorless closet.
In the closet is a bench, on top of which is a 4 shelf bookcase I'd had since I was a kid. Each of the shelves have a designated purpose: paper crafts, sewing, jewelrey & painting, and yarn (I don't yet have an overwhelming stash...yet). And, beside the shelving lies my bigger WIPs, such as the 2 blankets I've been working on & a couple of grocery bags full of fabric and odds n ends. And, neatly tucked behind the bench so that it's against the wall, lies my bigger supplies such as posterboard & plastic canvas.
To cover up the chaos inside this lil closet, we have a beaded curtain in front of it, with some homemade ties for when I'll be searching frantically throughout (or cleaning/reorganizing) hehehe biggrin

Ska Hippie

caffinated_tulip

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
i have a cardboard box filled with yarn that fits neatly under my dining room coffee table. plus a whole bunch more boxes of fabric and sewing supplies that have taken over our coat closet (the coats go elsewhere).  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:55 am
lol. I love all the creative solutions everyones come up with. ^^

Aurora- I love the use of the scarf. My first finished crochet project was a waaay to wide scarf. I think I gave it away. xd

My stuff is eating a closet or three. xd My parents are currently finishing a design studio for me in the basement. (then all my drawing/power tools/foam models have a home not on their carpet... ^^). But its also going to be a sewing room for me and mom. So, all my stuff is in boxs in the basement right now- well, sewing stuff that is. My yarn is in a three drawer (plastic) thing in my brothers old closet. My beads are in their boxes next to it, and my huge rolls of fabric for Ren Faire dresses are standing next to them.  

Silver Mist

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:59 pm
I tend to use those huge popcorn tins that multiply in our house when I'm not looking. If the milk crates were clean I'd used those, as they're stacked 6' high.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:43 pm
I have yet to find a clever storage solution for my WIPS right now they are in a one of those plastic tubs that the lid folds together to close which I store under my sewing maching table... makes it difficult to sew when I want to... then I received a Sewing Maching Rolling Tote for my birthday last year and I have all my beading stuff in there... My boys got into those Xmod Cars from Radio Shack so now I have a collection of my own too that I have in a big duffle which holds all but 3... LOL Right now I am fighting my fiance for space cause of all his computer crap has taken over every room in the house So I am lucky to have any space at all./..  

gingin929

Brunette_Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:05 pm
These are wonderful ideas...I'm a little disorganized, probably because I have too many crafting hobbies! sweatdrop (If that's even possible!)

I've got...
-Unused fabric in various corners of the study/sewing room
-A pile of unused yarn in a corner of my bedroom
-A bag holding my current yarn craft in progress next to my bed
-A case holding my current cross-stitch in progress under my bed
-A box of Warm Up America! sections in my closet
-And various odds and ends strewn about the place sweatdrop  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers