Reply Avatar Talk
What do you think about...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Qwannah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:14 pm
...your first "rate me" thread? Do you think those rates will influence you and how you rate when you become an ATer? <3

Example:
Me
My Avatar at that time:
User Image
My first thread:
DO NOT POST on this thread!
Outcome:
Critical rater who despises sets.

Now I know it is not the best avatar in the world, actually it is closer to the worst avatar in the world... But I have heard that there are more people who are critical raters in the AT than there were before, so do you think this is the problem? confused

Topics to discuss:
-Do you remember/still have your first AT "rate me" thread?
-Were you influenced by those rates?
-Did you ever try to revamp that avatar?
-Do you think that the rise in critical raters comes from the fact that their first "rate me" thread was bashed?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:22 pm
All I remember was I had fox gear on when I wondered into the first time...I was like a lamb to the slaughter. It influenced me, but for the best. I would say that today's AT is not critical or hard core rating, back in 04' people were just plain assholes and would flame your a**. But the difference between now and then was back then people could explain their ratings and defend them. If they gave you a low score, most of them would explain to you in painful detail what you did wrong.

Now I feel people today are just trying to be cool and for the most part have no idea what they are talking about when they're rating. They'll get all matchy freak on people they don't know and say they don't like something without giving suggestions. I think it's always going to be a reflection of someone they were first rated by. Lucky for me, some of the first people to rate me were the people who made the stickies.  

Jibo Phoenix

[ Pyrite ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:23 pm
|| Pyrite ||

Those are some really interesting questions.

I remember my first request to be rated, I think my avatar looked something like this:

User Image

I had lurked on the AT for ages before asking to be rated. Looking back, I don't know why I asked for a rate. I think I forgot I was using items from a set. Naturally, I got some pretty mean responses. Lots of yelling in caps.

The last response I got was from someone nice, telling me that it looked good - but sets are taboo in the AT. I went back to lurking, and I've never tried to revamp that avatar.

Now that I rate I try to be as nice as possible; I point out what I like and what I don't. I don't know if my fist rate influenced the way I talk about avatars now though.

|| Lacuna ex a stultus puella ||

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:41 pm
I don't even remember what happened yesterday let alone like 3 years ago.. XD So nope I don't remember my first avatar (except I hated all of the shoes on gaia at the time and refused to wear them..) At the time of entering AT though I had my gold building up and was able to make good avatars... :3 I really don't even remember my first rate or first anything in AT... So I'm not sure if it really affectrf how I rated though. I did learn my rating style from watching others rate around me.. so maybe it did?  

Padunka

Terreur

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:19 pm
I don't remember my first avatar ever.
I remember I had the goth skirt, though.
The first "rate me" thread I was weird the fairy items, and wings. I had neon purple hair, and buckies. My rates weren't all that great, but I had helpful comments too.
The result: A semi-harsh rater that gives suggestions.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:53 pm
I honestly don't think I ever made a rate me thread sweatdrop  

Audhumla

800 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

FrozenFyre
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:25 pm
User Image
this is the first avi that was in my first "rate me" thread XD
(( i miss the old blue eye color DDD: ))

i actually got decent rates on it. 7-9 out of 10
and people were generally nice about it too.
i don't think i got any "your avi sucks. you just combined two sets" comments.
((even though that really is what i did XD))

either way, i don't think the way i was rated would have influenced the way i rate. but it would have influenced my decision whether or not to come back to AT.

i do agree though. there are probably some critical raters who are just miffed that people hated their first outfit.
but most of those people were probably jackasses to begin with. hah.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:42 pm
FrozenFyre
User Image
this is the first avi that was in my first "rate me" thread XD
(( i miss the old blue eye color DDD: ))

i actually got decent rates on it. 7-9 out of 10
and people were generally nice about it too.
i don't think i got any "your avi sucks. you just combined two sets" comments.
((even though that really is what i did XD))

either way, i don't think the way i was rated would have influenced the way i rate. but it would have influenced my decision whether or not to come back to AT.

i do agree though. there are probably some critical raters who are just miffed that people hated their first outfit.
but most of those people were probably jackasses to begin with. hah.

Thanks hun wink .  

Qwannah

BatByte

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:46 pm
User Image

This one was my first in the AT, but when I was a n00b I'd always go in the chatterbox with like the most blindingly disgusting thing on and they'd always be like "10/10 loooolooll" And when I felt confident I checked out the avatars in the AT and they were like...godlike so I cleaned up my act and pimped myself out. 8] And alot of people liked it! I was very proud of myself. I got alot of high rates. I even made someone's Best Dressed List. cool

Looking back I was kind like...why? xD

You can't blame people for being critical when people wearing sets/nothing/terrible clothes post thinking they're the s**t. It couldn't kill them to be polite, though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:53 pm
I used to get a pretty good rating for this
and some were just rude about it, but it was my first avi that I saved up for =D haha:

User Image  

[liopleurodon]

candycrack
Captain

Fashionable Glitch

11,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:16 am

User Image

Let's be really ancient.
Before the numerous stores, before hairstyles, before multiple positioning donation items, when the next most exciting set would be the neo punk stuff.

Things like this actually got 10's.
Why? Because no one ever saw leg warmers with sandals before. xd
Although the top was a bit top heavy it was overlooked by most.

Oh and the first time I rated it I didn't have the emo bag, I just only have that version saved.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:02 pm
I don't even remember what my first "rate me" thread was like. I can't even remember what the outfit looked like... I didn't save it. I can remember, though, that it was in late 2003. The overall opinion of the avatar wasn't bad. I think that the fact that I've been around long enough to appreciate not having so many options for my avatar has made me kinder towards others who come into the AT.

User Image
Now, THAT is something from early-ish 2004. It got a lot of good rates. I even have a lot of avatar art from that. In fact, I still kinda like it. xd

I don't spend as much time in AT nowadays, though. I kinda just wear what I want to most of the time, although my AT-learned skills still stick with me sometimes.  

Zipchan

Dapper Citizen

that jo u kno

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:22 pm
Strangely enough, even though it was way back in 2003 I can remember my earliest outfit.

User Image
Total Value: 8,565 Gold
[Item Information]

Item List:
Black Shirt
Hot Basic Skirt
Black High Tek Sandal
White Mid Sock
Gray Peasant Gloves
Bouncy Antennae
#FFFFFF Complex Band

I remember it because I had gotten those bouncies out of a box and it was my first rare ever, so i was REALLY excited about it. And AT said I was cute, so...! O:

I kept the bouncies as my theme item and ended up picking up the clown nose, and made a lot of awesome avatars back in the day. I eventually moved on to buckle trench hats, but the bouncies were my most commonly used item (not counting the nose -- it's like, always there!).

A lot of people in AT are downright jerks, especially to newbies who just don't know any better than to keep on doin' what they're doin'. It just teaches them that that's how they're expected to act, and so they in turn do the same thing to the next newbie down the line. gonk It's really kind of sad...  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:21 pm
          Oh, I remember my first one. n_n It looked like this:

User Image

Or something like that. I remember it had that top/jacket combo, and I DEFFINITELY remember the pingu feet. They were my favorite item. Everyone was really nice to me. n_n I put the thread in the exchange on accident, and I thought it was going to be moved to the CB, coz I NEVER left CB or Barton Town for any other forum. So I didn't notice them. And then I'm like, "Avatar talk?" And I felt my stomach go "o______o." Something told me people there were good. But they were nice enough. n_n I forgot who rated me, though...

`Monox!de

Saffrin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:50 am
I don't remember what my first avvie I had rated was, but I do remember it had an average of about 7 or 8. I worked it out and everything at the time. XD

I remember when legwarmers+sandals were considered super cool. That, and wearing complex tops with striped stockings and no pants. XD
Mind you, there were much fewer items in those days. o_o

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games